Reviews for Lord of Carrion
Sunn-Kissed chapter 1 . 10/30/2004
You are full of these important-moment POV's, aren't you?

Hehe...the earth sustains Hope alright. Estel.

Again, I still have to wrap my weak little mind around the way you write before actually understanding the sentances. Sigh. I will never master Shakespeare, and will be doomed to fail english for eternity. Don't worry; I still love your writing. It makes my brain wake up and do some actual work.

And, of course, the story and plot and words are wonderful, too.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 9/11/2003
Very unique idea. This is amazing!
Confused of East Grinstead chapter 1 . 8/28/2003
I'm a little confused at these lines

"the mortal maiden follows the spell-hallowed strike of the halfling thain's son"

Why do you describe Merry as the thain's son? He is the son of the Master of Buckland - Pippin is the thain's son. Or did I miss something here?
Lady Cheshire chapter 1 . 12/30/2002
Whoa. That was. . . whoa. I don't think I've ever read such an amazing Eowyn story in my life. I would tell you exactly why I loved it, but I can't really sum it up in intelligent words. Just. . . whoa. Will that work for you? Fantastic work!

Whoa. . .
Pseudonym chapter 1 . 11/3/2002
No wonder you call yourself Philosopher at Large such is your thoughts. Very realistic in seemingly becoming Nazgul, a compliment for you to continue on at writing.
StarKateFLG chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
I am speechless. Literally. I read this out loud, and now it seems that I can not say another word for fear of marring that spell which you've wrought about my humble little desktop. I bow down to your amazing skills.

Rociriel chapter 1 . 9/18/2002
My first thought was that this could be something Shakespeare would have free-written before setting it to verse.

Though it is by no means an easy read, I found it clear and beautifully done.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
Pretty much all my fiction is confusing, yes. The least confusing would be, in this order, O Will You Walk The Wood So Wild, (a straightforward Mary-Sue parody), the Leithian Script, and Without Hope, which is a 1st person POV by a rather snippy and stressed, but at least sane, narrator.

Everything else is in varying degrees of sanity, clarity, - or both! I've realized that my prose style is actually a combination of Anglo-Saxon metrical verse, kennings and all, Elizabethan symbolist poetry (like John Donne), and Slavic stream-of-consciousness, which _does_ tell a story - qv The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy.

(This sort of makes up for the rather pedantic prose of my essays and rants, you see.)

I also am debating starting a new literary school that says that every story should be as hard on the reader as it is on the writer to create it...8-]
Mouse chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
Ah, time to pull out the thesaurus again ...

The imagery, as always, is so graphic, and the language so vibrant, that I have absolutely no trouble picturing the scene. It just paints itself in front of me- or rather, you paint it. Is there anything really more frightening and dreadful than doubt? Especially for such a creature as this, who has given up his soul, his entire being to trust in another- only to have his trust misproved. I didn't feel any sympathy for him, but I don't think you were aiming for that. Maybe I pitied him some- such a ghastly situation certainly earns a little bit.

I like how when he's stabbed by Merry's knife all the memories of that past come in visions. True justic, so that he knows for what he is destroyed, and sees those who are avenged. It's just beautiful overall, beautiful and grim, and showing what it would really be like to be a Ringwraith, to have your soul bound to a thing of substance, and your trust placed in a spirit called "the Deceiver."
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 9/12/2002
I read this over at HASA and I wanted to let you know I thought it was very good. However, it is not very clear. Much of the writing is confusing and I don't know if that is your style or because you were using a Nazgul's POV.
San Antonio Rose chapter 1 . 9/12/2002
Oh, WOW. I think you've outdone youself. :) Loved the Silm. references (had to look up Fingolfin, but the rest was pretty plain) and the veiled play on Aragorn's first nickname, and I had always thought the "no living man" bit was reminiscent of Macbeth. I do wonder how they'll explain Merry's sword in ROTK... not that I really wanted to see Barrow-wights, but it kinda loses significance without that scene. Ah, well, such is Hollywood.

This is superb. Thanks for sharing. :)