Reviews for Through Shadows
KitsuneMiyuKendraHyuga chapter 40 . 3/21
This is an AMAZING story. Truly. So detailed and thorough!
While it focuses on the developing (and very believable!) love story between Faramir and Éowyn, none of the other characters are ever neglected, and the world you described came to life with every new chapter.
I usually tend to point out by positives and negatives when I review, but in all honesty - there is nothing to complain about for this fanfic. It's lovely, and so romantic.
Thank you so much for writing it!
humanatee chapter 28 . 1/2
I really, really like this expansion of Éowyn's and Faramir's relationship. They were two of my favorite characters, though they didn't get a lot of chapters dedicated to them and their romance in the books appeared quite rushed. Éowyn does seem a bit clueless, especially since you describe her noticing Wormtongue's machinations when she was so young, but that kind of adds to the sweetness of the story. The Steward gives many material gifts, I think too many. But I love how you carefully develop their relationship through their discussions and duties, as well as add greater depth to their characters. This is a wonderful story.
earthgirl3015 chapter 1 . 12/12/2016
I've finished this story and absolutely loved it, you had me on tenterhooks the whole way through, and i loved the annotations explaining things further. Faramir/Éowyn are my otp for this fandom and i was wondering if you mention their wedding? I can't find it in your other fics, and i think you'd do it really well
cedarlight chapter 40 . 12/7/2016
Yes...I can see why Eowyn, Geliris and Lothiriel are revisiting you to elicit another story. I love your characters and story arc! Thank you for writing.
eschscholzia chapter 40 . 11/19/2016
Thank you again for yet another wonderful story. I enjoyed hearing "the rest of the story" of the characters that were hinted at in your other stories. I admit I had a great deal of sympathy with Éowyn and all her cultural misunderstandings. Finally when she asked about the petrichor misunderstandings, I was thinking just like her "tell me what I've missed now." I think that your layout of the story is quite plausible, seeing as the DH and I came together under very similar circumstances where I was oblivious to his interest in me.

Thank you also for the lamb ragout recipe. I think I am going to try it in my slow cooker. I think I must be part hobbit, as I love food and all its roles in various cultures. I was about to ask you for the recipe after reading that chapter, and then voila, it was in the next one.
Glosswen chapter 25 . 9/15/2016
Der Detailreichtum dieser Geschichte ist der Wahnsinn! Wo nimmst du nur diese ganzen Ideen her?
Der Brief den Eowyn in dem Kapitel gekriegt hat ... Éomer muss ganz schön tief ins Glas geguckt haben, dass ihm so ein Unfug einfällt ...

Dass Faramir schon als Kind eine Schildmaid heiraten wollte ... Würde es dir was ausmachen, wenn ich das Detail in einer meiner Stories verwende?
(Beziehungsweise, nicht ganz genauso natürlich.)

Grüße

Glosswen
Rose chapter 35 . 9/8/2016
Much as I love your Éowyn, she does the right things for the wrong reasons. Yes, Faramir had an ulterior motive in giving her all those gifts. No this ulterior motive was not political!

She is right in objecting to his attempts to bribe her, and to other people's attempts to emotionally blackmail her into warming his bed (as what else does marriage mean in the end?). Women don't owe men sex. Or love. Ever. No, not even if those men are honourable and valiant and all that.

What I don't get is how she can still believe this to be about politics. I suppose as someone who has been used as pawn in political marriages, she's fed up with that more than she's with men just wanting to get into her pants for their own personal reasons.

I hope Faramir regrets his actions. He should have taken no for an answer when she tried to give the dagger back the first time. By now, he should have understood that this stealth-wooing a woman who is unaware of his intentions is dishonourable. Even if said woman must be rather daft to not have noticed his intentions.

I know, I know, they live in a patriarchy where there's no feminism to be found anywhere, and therefore think this blackmailing women into letting men fuck them, as well as the prostitution and all that, is perfectly okay.
But Faramir has always been one of my favourites and I loathe to see him act all shitty and emotional blackmail-y.
Rose chapter 33 . 9/8/2016
Yeah, Éowyn, tell him!
I have had enough of this sneak-wooing thing from guys who no doubt complained to their friends about me friend-zoning them, when in fact they had never admitted to their intentions in any way that would have made it possible to reject them. Cowards! I do not take kindly to men who girlfriend-zone me without my consent!
In Faramir's case, it seems it is just because Éowyn is too daft to realize she has feelings for him, but she could just not have any feelings for him and pretend not to notice. (That's what I tend to do in such situations) As such, his emotionally blackmailing her into allowing him to hand-feed her strawberries, accepting his gifts and now wear his mother's jewellery for all to see, were all morally highly questionable actions.
Granted, he was rather obvious, but I do not think she should be required to say "no", he should take the absence of a "yes" as indication of her lack of interest.

Though I do think it is a bit harsh to insult him with what I think were the exact words his father used against him. Believing that he bewitched her! Really, and she feels superior to those superstitious Haradrim?
Rose chapter 24 . 9/7/2016
Hm. Touching a woman's lips just like that seems awfully out of character for Faramir, even though I must admit that silencing women is rather common behaviour for men in general, and probably Tolkien's image of Faramir would have allowed for such a blatant display of disrespect.

And I can't believe that Éowyn still hasn't noticed that Faramir is sweet on her. He has been so blatantly obvious about it that, by now, probably everyone knows. Except Éowyn.
Rose chapter 14 . 9/7/2016
The riders are so proud of their raping that they would laugh at it being mentioned? Ugh, I can't say I would be sorry to see them die.

Not sure if I should be glad that Éowyn is not going to marry one of them ... Faramir seems to be better, but he does give off lots of Nice Guy vibes (you know what a Nice Guy (TM) is? The kind of guy who gives you gifts and does all sorts of nice things for you and then feels entitled to your love and/or vagina? That kind of guy).

Perhaps it's just because all guys who were ever that over the top nice to me (like Faramir with giving Éowyn his expensive dagger) eventually expected to get something out of it, and perhaps Faramir doing this out of the goodness of his heart would not set my alarm bells ringing, but things being as they are, this seems icky.
Rose chapter 10 . 9/6/2016
What is Mareth thinking? It is no safer for a young girl to work on the ward with the Gondoreans, as they will also objectify women and make lewd comments. I don't think they are less prone to molesting a girl than the Rohirrim. And as a woman who probably got her share of molestation, Mareth would know that.

It is even more ridiculous considering what caused her to make that decision. Regardless of how lacking in morals they might otherwise be, the Rohirrim are not likely to euthanize Anwen.
Rose chapter 6 . 9/6/2016
Hm. Reaching for her hand so suddenly that she is surprised by it is not exactly gentlemanlike.
This has a hint of non-con about it. Which I despise.

Otherwise your story is lovely, of course, or I wouldn't have taken the time to comment. But the most irksome details always stand out the most ...

I do like Faramir defending the gardens!
Ruscwen chapter 1 . 8/15/2016
Vielen, vielen Dank für all diese wundervollen Geschichten! Ich gebe zu, ich bin ein ganz furchtbarer Reviewer, aber da ich innerhalb zwei Wochen drei Geschichten verschlungen habe, muss ich doch endlich mal auch einen Gruß hinterlassen.
Selten habe ich so wundervolle, tiefgründige Charaktere und so viele Details in einer Geschichte gelesen. Bei den Essensbeschreibungen muss man zwangsweise Hunger bekommen!
Ich hoffe, dass uns nach "Trough Shadows" vielleicht noch weitere tolle Geschichten erfreuen werden. Aber noch habe ich ja noch ein bisschen etwas zu lesen. ;)

Viele Güße
Olga
Cselecsaj chapter 40 . 6/29/2016
I have read this fanfiction 3 times already. Not to say anything about your other fics.
Please write us another one!
Maybe about Erchirion finding a Rohir bride? :)
I am sure there are many others who can't wait to read something from you again :)
Quihi chapter 40 . 8/26/2015
I guess it's time to finally review this.

Yay! The ending is wonderful! I mean, we knew how it was going to end… but yay! How wonderful! That ending about the horse Eowyn gave Faramir… :P

Anyway, great job! This was an amazing story. Good luck in life and writing!