Reviews for Go Not Gently
Caution, spoilers ahead:
Does this story ever explain WHY Vivi couldn’t just make more “flesh children” by growing them the way he himself was grown, in a Petri dish or something? They would live as long as he had, and clearly have souls. I feel like this was kind of skipped over as Vivi noticing that the petri-grown children looked like him/Kuja, and would therefore grow up to be just as insane as him/Kuja, and there’s a whole nature-nurture debate screaming to come out of that (both Vivi and Kuja had a crapton happen to them to make them lose it without genetics being involved, and the other Black Waltzes were literally groomed by Kuja to be nothing more than instruments of war — how would a normally-raised Black Waltz behave?); but tbh it’s too big of a copout that we don’t see Vivi go with this option and actually carry it to term before deciding it’s a lost cause. Made it seem way too obvious that the end goal was to see Vivi go insane rather than giving him legit reasons to do so. Especially when at the end, Vivi’s children basically all end up “hatching” in “flesh bodies” anyway — like, smart Vivi, you could’ve gotten there in 1/15th of the drama and a good 15 years sooner to boot if you’d actually let the petri-dish kids grow.
Reader chapter 14 . 4/23
I didn't know what I was getting into. I didn't think it would be THIS bad. And when I mean bad, I mean dark, deep, depressing but brilliant. A lot of times I just go "DOUSHITE?!", sometimes I have to stop for a while, walk around the room, and sit through it again with this rollercoaster-of-feels ride.

Admittedly, I like fanfics that sticks close to canon as much as possible- or at least close to the feel/theme of the game or in-character personalities (which you did for the most part but have taken liberties on that certain someone. Not going to spoil it for those reading these reviews). With that being said, I have mixed feelings with this one. However, this has taken me to reconsideration on my views towards my taste when reading fanfics.

Anyway, this is a great read overall! Not my favorite FFIX fanfic or the best one in my opinion, but I'll definitely give this 10/10!
vitriol candy chapter 14 . 12/21/2017
Well, I'm a bloody mess of tears. Thank you so much for blessing me with this!
Butterlillies chapter 3 . 12/20/2017
No idea if you are still around, or if you even check anymore but I thought I would let you know that even though I just finished chapter 3 my heart is pounding with possibilities. This story is already one of my favorites and I have ways to go before I finish. Something is creeping up on me like by the end of it I will be blown away. I mean, you are a fantastic writer so I wouldn't doubt it. I will read more soon and I'll leave a review every few chapters or so just to let you know what I'm thinking if you are still out there.
NotebookPaper chapter 13 . 9/3/2016
Where do you live and can /I/ make /you/ cake?

Thank you again all these years later. If you're writing anywhere else I would love to read it. I can't bring myself to contemplate that you are anything but alive and kicking somewhere.
Phoenix chapter 14 . 4/30/2016
I first read this about 10 years ago. I'm rereading it again. I hope you check your reviews again someday, wherever you are. This fic fucking changed my life and is still the best thing I've ever read, 10 years later. I hope you still write.
Kibetha chapter 14 . 2/16/2016
Wow. Erm. I'm not sure I have words right now. But this fic deserves words. I'll attempt words.

Well you've just managed to take two of the most innocent characters in the entire FF series and throw them headlong down the darkest possible storyline I could conceive of. And it was realistic, believable, and bizarrely beautiful. Even if it also hurt like hell. Not to mention you write an insane mind so well that I felt my own sanity slipping just a little there at the end from sheer empathy. Next time I try to write for someone who's crazy and completely comfortable with this fact, I'll be coming back to this fic for inspiration.

So yes, that was utterly incredible. Thank you so much for writing this, even if it was a while ago - it has taken my perceptions of FFIX and stretched them so far that my heart aches. This is wonderful, wonderful work, and every reason on earth that I love great fanfiction. Amazing.
puntas abiertas chapter 14 . 12/1/2014
Loved this story. Thank you for writing it.
Silver and Gold Angels chapter 1 . 4/23/2014
Yo, Uh. Word. Adjective. Pronoun. Adverb.
Run on and on and on.
Where my gerunds at?
Parenthetical, uh.

Shit motherfucker ass tits cunt cock motherfucker shit ass tits motherfucker shit
Come on
Fickity-fuck fickity-fuck fickity-fuck fickity-fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Come on

You take some shit, put it up on the wall, check it out for a while.
You take that shit up off of the wall, put it down on the floor in a glass bowl.
You take some fuck, put it up on the wall where the shit used to be.
You take that fuck up off of the wall, put it down on the floor
with the shit in a glass bowl
What? Yo, here's another little piece of advice-vice

You take some fuck then some shit

It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, nigga

I make references to weaponry
Ancient, on you
I wear bullet-proof vests for no apparent reason
other than to create a false sense of importance
of which I could never retain on my own.
I like to create a buffer memory of incredulity
So y'all motherfuckers could never get near to me.

I'm a cartoon character.
You'll never be able to be like me! (me me)

I like women
I like women
I like the concept of a woman
I like to take that concept and reduce it to an object
I like to take those objects and put 'em in my videos
Have them shake they jiggly bits so they looks like hoes

I like to take some car polish, smear it all over they asses
and buff that shit out so it looks like fresh peaches and shit.
I like to take some more of that car polish and smear it all over they tits
and buff that shit out so it looks all sparkly, like diamond necklaces and shit.

Why?

Cuz I'm a lady's man
a lady's man
a la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-lady's man

I'm a materialist.
I'm a materialist.
I'll take a piece-of-shit car and I'll lower the motherfuckah;
Put some 18-inch rims on the motherfuckah;
Take some neon, put it underneath the motherfuckah
so when I roll around this town it looks like a hover (hover hover)

I like to take a flat-panel display monitor,
put one on the steering column,
one inside of the glovebox,
one on top of the dashboard,
two in back of the headrests,
one mounted in the ceiling,
two still in the motherfucking packaging, on the back seat
so when my motherfucking friends go and sit on the shit and break it (word?)
I can honestly say:

I. Just. Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

You take some fuck then some shit

Fuck shit, fuck shit.
FreyaDev chapter 1 . 10/14/2013
I love Eiko. She is so cute. This is amazing
Galloway chapter 1 . 4/1/2013
I read this ages and ages ago - not long after you finished it, I think - but for some reason I never left a review. I was going to read it again so that I'd have it fresh in my mind before I reviewed... but then I remembered that this story just broke me. Into tiny, jagged, non-functional pieces. And left me like that. For days.

This is a spectacular piece of fiction. Truly one of the best I've ever read. It's one of the works to which I point when someone asks, "Why do you waste your time reading fanfic?" It elevates the art form.
Ci chapter 14 . 2/22/2013
You and your gloriously depressing fanfiction have ruined me.

I am a ruined human being that has been thoroughly ruined.

I hope you're happy.

On a more serious note, this fic is utterly amazing and I can't fathom not only how the idea occurred to you, but how you managed to take the concept of "Evil Vivi" and turn it into something that's not utterly cringeworthy and stupid - quite the opposite, in fact.
Matt Perrett chapter 14 . 10/1/2012
Having just finished this, I see why this story has a dedicated page of TV Tropes: its reputation for excellent is well-deserved! It's an amazingly profound work that explores life and death, love and insanity, and more. The characters are well-written and -developed, and it all fits together beautifully. Good writing is entertaining; great writing changes how you see things. This is great writing, and I'm very glad that I decided to give this a chance. I hope the author does achieve her dream of writing a successful novel someday - she's more than proven that she has the talent and ability to do so, and I would be happy to support her endeavors in the future :)
La'Ruelia chapter 14 . 7/24/2012
At first I was wondering to myself, what the heck am I getting into?

Reading through it I couldn't decide whether I liked this story or not. And it was only when I realized that I got through like eight chapters in four hours, blinking and wondering what I was doing with my life, that I had fallen in love with this story. I can't believe how much of a page turner (or, well, page scroller) this was. I started at four and here it is midnight and I'm still buzzing and sad and emotions.

I love Final Fantasy IX and have been reading fanfiction of it and other things ever since I realized that fanfiction existed. I can't believe I did not spot this story earlier (it finished in 2004!). I'm really happy, though, that I didn't read it back then. At the age of fourteen I would not have been able to understand the depth of Vivi or understand why Eiko just couldn't leave. This makes me want to write, and motivation doesn't come easily.

Thank you for the wonderful story and inspiration.
La'Ruelia
Mousewolf chapter 13 . 3/8/2012
Oh. /Oh./ (note that this is a repeat reading, meant for the last chapter.)

...I'd forgotten there was a happy ending. *bursts into tears and hides*

*several weeks later* ...oh, Vivi. I hope you know how much this fic bothers me, not in a bad way, but it chews on my brain and it won't let go and I drew Black Tango not very well and I drew the part where they fight for the second time above the antlions and below the Desert Palace and I'm re-playing FFIX thanks to this and now I can't stop feeling sad every time a black mage comes on the screen and I actually burst into tears again and had to stop (but not Stop) for a while when I got to Black Waltz 3 ( "I exist only to kill. I exist only to kill. I exist only...") and and this fic is now the True Ending of Vivi's story in my head and and and

Vivi. Vita. /Eiko/. It hurts almost physically to think of them now, but I know I'm going to read again and again and again because it's just so beautiful and I can't stop thinking about it.

I don't know if I said this the first time around, but THANKYOU. Thankyou so much for creating something so beautiful and so sad and lovely. Thankyou so much.