Reviews for Everyone Loves a Victor
Rhagar chapter 26 . 12/28/2014
Another great work, overall. It was a little disconcerting to see that the actual Games were less than 8 chapters but it actually made sense (the explanations you gave, too) and most of the pre-Games stuff is character interaction. In this case, I particularly like the first person POV style you use, as it allows us to understand the characters in a much deeper level through their thoughts. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the scoring scenes, seems like Glimmer's gymnastics finally paid off in a most unexpected way!

Also, I think you handle the romance part of the story pretty well, better than many I've seen in any case. Considering the fandom and the main character (Katniss has to be slapped with the others' feelings to notice romance at all), the awkwardness which I think here would be pretty realistic in this setting is spot on.

Still on the matter of romance, I have to say I still hope for a final pairing of Glimmer x Katniss. Glimmer is, arguably, as important as Katniss in this AU Panem and considering this is practically a niche story (as you yourself said), I would be really dissappointed to see it go towards the Katniss x Gale path, if anything because I'm sure there are already thousands of fics in the fandom with the pairing. I was pleasantly surprised with that Glimmer's pov when she reflects that flirting with Johanna is almost a chore. Perhaps a hint of actual romantic feelings for Katniss, even if she herself doesn't see it?

That said, kudos to you, because you at least acknowledge that Gale and Katniss have been friends since young and there will be always something there and you don't simply write it off or something

On a side note, what happened to Cinna in the end? Does he and Portia still die like in the second book?
Streetlight Eyes chapter 26 . 7/6/2014
This fic is actually better than the Hunger Games. I LOVE IT. it engrossed me every second of the way. The alteration and the use of an auxillary character so well. It was just amazing!
fanboyingfiction chapter 26 . 6/11/2014
Loved this. Hope you write another one.
Yankeedouche chapter 26 . 5/3/2014
i loved this story. easily the best hunger games fanfiction i have read and its in the top 20 fanfictions of any genre i have read. i love the katniss/glimmer paring, its such a rare pairing and you defiantly pulled it off. i'll admit i was kinda hoping to see a katniss/glimmer/cashmere threeway happen, but as far as plot goes you way was ALOT better.

I guessing the whole lesbian joanna flirting with glimmer is going to continue and wear katniss down until she snaps at glimmer and joanna, then when glimmer confronts her on why joanna flirting bothers her so much katniss is gonna just grab her and shove against a wall and kiss her in front of everybody. hopefully gale will find love with madge or maybe joanna if the lesbian slut thing is an act and she noticed katniss's feeling for glimmer and wanted to get her to admit publicly and embarrassingly.

Also i was kinda hoping for the reactions of prim, madge, haymitch, and the rest on the katniss/glimmer kisses, i don't suppose you could ad a chapter to this story with them or post them a prologue/sneak peek/ teaser for the end of the trilogy. That way people could and that to there alerts and be immediately notified about the story, since people (or at least myself) don't like actually putting authors on our alerts.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 26 . 3/30/2014
A superb conclusion to a fascinating storyline; great job as always.
As mentioned in my previous reviews, Katniss and Glimmer’s post-Games life was superbly explored, each of them frustrated by their lack of purpose and their inevitable fate at the conclusion of their Victory Tour, with the more assertive Glimmer the one to take decisive action to eliminate the immediate threat when given the opportunity to do so (Even if Snow’s twisted M.O. gives them a whole new challenge to confront when the Quarter Quell is announced).
Subsequent developments as they prepare for their return to the Games are also handled well, ranging from Glimmer’s amusing bonding moments with Prim to the more emotionally charged moments of Katniss’s confrontations with Gale over his role in the mines and Cashmere’s death, while their active training for the Games provides an effective contrast to Katniss’s efforts in canon which focused solely on planning for Peeta to survive rather than anything more elaborate (As well as providing a more detailed look at Haymitch’s sketchy role in the Rebellion).
Once the training’s over and Katniss has been given more to think about regarding her relationships with Gale and Glimmer- as well as Glimmer having been given an interesting taste of the kind of world she’d never thought about, where she could guarantee that she was with people who trusted her- the storyline continues to impress; your idea for Glimmer’s new image was particularly dramatic, and the moment when Haymitch was forced to disclose the plan also came across in a very natural manner, the man who tried to stay out of it in canon forced to show his hand when Katniss has a more active plan than just ‘save Peeta’.
The actual games are also handled well; putting aside my doubts about the new Arena (I’ve generally felt that that something like that would be rather complicated to put together, particularly for a Quarter Quell, so the Capitol has them prepared a year or so in advance, but that’s a personal opinion), you explore the differences between the canon Games and your Games rather well, as Katniss, Gale and Glimmer go in with a more definite strategy from the start and know that they can all trust each other to go along with their plan, along with them facing some fascinating challenges in an arena unlike anything we’ve heard of or seen in the series before. Your central original tributes are also well-developed (I’m naturally excluding the non-Career tributes as they just didn’t show up), with Azel being fairly low-key while Otho shows more tactical awareness as opposed to Cato and Clove’s ruthlessness, while Flash is clearly just focused on powering his way through to glory based on what he believes a Victor should be rather than actually trying to think things through.
Oh, and Haymitch’s thoughts on District Thirteen provide an interesting diversion from the games while giving us something to think about; they might have seemed efficient for surviving that long cut off from the rest of Panem in canon, but when you think about their apparent resources it’s kind of disturbing how little real effort Thirteen were putting in to actually rebelling (Why do I suddenly have a feeling that Coin’s going to be making a more explicit power play this time around?)…
Still, it all led into a satisfying conclusion that brought everyone together without making their canon counterparts appear incompetent (I’ve never liked writers who basically act like everyone was an idiot in the original version of events and their interpretations are far superior; changes occurred here, but they were due to the presence of a new element rather than anyone being spontaneously smarter), while sowing the seeds for fascinating future plot development.
When you get around to the third story (In your own time, naturally; don’t write something this promising if you can’t give it your all), I’d definitely recommend you go with Katniss/Glimmer as your final pairing; not only am I so-so about Katniss/Gale (The man had too many anger issues when it came to the Capitol; he and Katniss would probably have ended up destroying each other, whereas Peeta in canon and Glimmer here can make her laugh and think beyond the death), but it has the additional advantage that virtually nobody’s done it before.
Heslen chapter 26 . 2/22/2014
Wow, very nicely done. I'm so excited for you for finishing another story and I'm sure we can all understand that you want to take a break... but hurry back. :)
JPElles chapter 26 . 2/22/2014
Great story. I eagerly await what you do. With Glimmer here Katniss isn't going to be forced into the backseat for things. They'll be able to take charge a bit more and hopefully continue to influence and lead events more directly.

And I have read and liked the Star Wars story you did and am glad you intend to go back to it.
Dracones chapter 26 . 2/21/2014
This chapter has been really quite good; as has the whole book. I like the decision you made, to have the ending be more realistic than cinematic; it works very well, makes sense, and really shows the extremely different levels of cohesiveness between the two alliances.

I can't help but wonder what role Otho will play in the sequel. I suspect he will be there; otherwise he's a loose end, not to mention the fact that he is, presumably, not beyond saving. It's not as if they'll go into the Capitol to save him, so that aspect of the books will be lessened, but if he is released after the revolution, I don't think he'd have that great a role; hopefully you can bring him in somewhere; he's a decent side-character to have.

Although I suppose you have Enobaria for that kind of thing now; the D2 survivor and victor. Seven have escaped the arena altogether; Finnick, Johanna, Enobaria, Beetee, Gale, Glimmer, Katniss. You mentioned six would be half of them, when Flash was alive (I think); that'd make eleven survivors for the Seventy-Fifth Annual Hunger Games. The Rebels could make a promo; one survivor each year for 73 years. Two survivors in the 74th. Eleven in the 75th, and lets save twenty-four lives in the seventy-sixth year! That'd work!

Hopefully Annie in D4 can get away, as well as Madge, Prim, Mrs. Everdeen and the Hawthornes. Haymitch has jumped ship in the Capitol already; with luck, they could all be in Thirteen together!

Thanks for the mention; and thanks for the story as well; I'm glad you saw it through!

Looking forwards (patiently) to the sequel!
JPElles chapter 25 . 2/17/2014
Cool to see Enobaria coming over earlier possibly than she did originally. Also curious what will come of Finnick. Great story.

Robot's were done very well as well.
Dracones chapter 25 . 2/14/2014
Flash is a fool and a tool and just odd overall. I mean, does he get the fucking concept of allies? Or just human kindness? Even Enobaria is taking Finnick at his word, which hopefully should work out well; the plan is moving apace.

That weird fake-Katniss thing was totally creepy, but I could tell it wasn't real basically immediately. Katniss jut isn't that decisive or plain or personal about such matters. Gale's hope didn't succeed in blinding him though, which is good.

And Johanna's short PoV didn't show too much, but that last bit I didn't expect! Ten points to Johanna for humanity!

The crown as a sponsor gift is weird, but hey. And Glimmer is entirely right; if Gale really cares, he needs to step up.
Rovigo32 chapter 25 . 2/14/2014
This was really good, great even! :D I'm glad Enobaria is helping Finnick, I was actually hoping she would be saved. I also hope you'll write another sequel!
scratchx chapter 25 . 2/14/2014
Only one chapter left ?! It's not possible, is it? They are all in such dangerous situations... There are two solutions either the next chapter will be really very very long or you plan to write a sequel :)
Heslen chapter 25 . 2/14/2014
Oooh, that was cool. It makes me wonder what the robot thing would have been for Katniss - Prim, Rue maybe? Her dad?
JPElles chapter 24 . 2/11/2014
Very interesting developments. Curious what will happen with Flash and Finnick as well.

And I think Glimmer and Katniss both are getting closer to realizing there feelings for each other. Which is good. Gale is all right and all but i'm pretty sure he'll be fine. Lots of girls after all. The real question is what is Johanna's motivation here, and what role will she play going forward. Real curious where this heads. Honestly Glimmer and Katniss together is a show of unity that might just scare Snow. Seeing the two of them not just come together as allies but in every-way like this would not only be a rallying point but if done right could cause a lot of sympathy from the capitol and the well of districts. And it's a much better way of getting support and sympathy than killing Prim.
Guest chapter 24 . 2/7/2014
Oh luv the trap!
It's obvious glimmer likes katniss.
Can't w8 4 next chapter!