Reviews for Firebird's Song: Book II of the Firebird Trilogy
HauntingTheNet chapter 2 . 9/9
I loved book one. I read the entire thing in one sitting, then at 7 am the next morning without ever going to bed I started in on book two because I was so enthused by your writing and plot.

... Which is why I am left absolutely bewildered by the way you started book two. I absolutely despise the first two chapters of this sequel. It is my opinion after reading many of your stories that you are a great writer. Yet I am left in absolute disgust at how you have abused your readers in these first two chapters.

Let me be clear, each of these two chapters on its own is a masterpiece the equal of your other work. The problem is that you deliberately pull a "Here's a teaser for how the story will be in a few chapters as a fake chapter one. Now ignore all that and we'll start telling the real chapter one but placed as chapter two." This is trash writing at its worst. Why the hell is such a great writer as you have proven yourself to be doing this shtick? There is absolutely no need for this abusive literary technique. It is a terrible thing for any writer in any medium to ever pull, and even worse it wasn't even necessary in your case.

This technique is designed to get an audience interested in an otherwise dull plot which requires a long buildup before any actual interesting plot can be established. Basically a bit of bait dangling in their face to keep the prey enthused while in the background you slowly dig the pits and set the traps. For a story that is dull as a blunt pencil it can be the only saving grace to keep an audience enthralled when an author has no other method in place. However, this is book 2 in an overarching story where book 1 ended in some real cliffhangers. Your audience was already invested into this story as a result of the great writing invested into book 1. Furthermore, your writing style over the many stories I have read shows that you could easily keep an audience wrapped in your story even with minor buildup or filler chapters.

All of which makes your fake chapter one a bloody big and pointless abuse of your entire reading core. I loved book one, and I loved many other stories by you. But I absolutely refuse to read any further on this book or attempt book 3 until and if a rewrite is done to remove this travesty of writing devices. I can see from the vast majority of people who favorited this book that I am in the minority in my feelings so I suspect the change will never happen. But I still will stand my ground here.

I am going to deeply regret not being able to read further into Harry and Luna and Hermione and possibly Justine's struggle for a revolutionary change against the oppressive system in place. I will perhaps always regret not being able to read further the courage and drive of the muggleborn parents resistance movement.

But I absolutely detest stories (and movies and television shows) which abuse this writing technique for crappy authors to keep otherwise dull stories interesting. I am not saying that this story would have been dull, because in fact I suspect I would have loved reading it as much as I loved book 1, but long ago I pledged to never allow myself to follow a story that makes use of this abusive technique. And now thanks to your inclusion of it in an otherwise brilliantly written story I must either back down or back out. By backing out I merely lose this one incredible story, so this sadly must be where I part ways with your wonderful tale.

I doubt one reviewers feedback will matter much in the grand scheme of things. It has been years since this story was written, and I suspect if you are bothered by my review at all it will be merely a thought that I am launching an unwarranted attack upon you as you probably do not see anything wrong in what you did here, and even if you do it is your prerogative as the writer to write it however you want.

I just wish you had not stooped to using such an abusive and unnecessary writing technique in a saga I really admired.
renextronex chapter 24 . 9/5
I had the feeling that the last would be a slitheryn, even if just to maintain the balance between elements/houses
lechatabbicat chapter 5 . 7/9
Outstanding story! WELL DONE!
Eagle-Eyes chapter 36 . 7/3
Terrific
Alfa Wolfcub chapter 7 . 6/23
I am excited to see what comes next. I always like reading about wand creation, and I'm sure you take on it is going to be awesome.
Alfa Wolfcub chapter 2 . 6/23
Of course he's leaving soon, you silly nitwit! (Speaking to Vernon of course)
Alfa Wolfcub chapter 1 . 6/23
This is going back after reading a few paragraphs into the next chapter. Thank you so much for going back! I was not liking not having seen the bonding! I was going to throw a small tantrum :)
szw5009 chapter 36 . 5/13
Thanks!
Crazy-San chapter 1 . 4/9
it's not often that any story draws me in this much. but you have made me hate the villains and love the heroes. I've just finished book two and I am actually crying right now.
Iryelb chapter 23 . 4/2
My favorite part of this chapter is when Narcissa makes Harry write "blood is thicker than water" in an attempt to try and beat him over the head with the idea that family is more important than friends. When, in actuality, the quote is "the blood of the coven is thicker than the water of the womb." Which means, that the bonds one chooses to form are more powerful than one's bonds to the family they're born into.
Iryelb chapter 36 . 4/2
That was honestly a twist ending I did not see coming.
Ravenclaw's Heir chapter 34 . 2/19
Possibly the best fanfiction ever…
janefanatic chapter 36 . 2/6
I'm sad that Justine died. Thanks for sharing!
janefanatic chapter 3 . 2/6
I can't help but feel badly for Dudley. He was a bully and a git, yes, but he didn't deserve to die like that.
Excellent story.