Reviews for The Measure of a Friend
Doc Yewll chapter 1 . 3/14
muito tocante, sensível, amei!
obrigado,
abraços.
quantumsilver chapter 1 . 9/7/2013
A delight, Hester. Your voice and perspective were convincing, while the story focus was refreshing. It had a vibrant, young feel throughout, as only the early season characters' exploration can quite achieve.
Nicely handled!
Photogirl1890 chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
I really enjoyed this look at the early seasons B'Elanna/Doctor relationship. I like how you used the personal log device to give some 1st person POV. I can't recall reading much (if any) B'Elanna 1st person POV before in fanfic.
"Some things just happen. You can try to anticipate them, try to guard against them; but in the end, there's nothing you can do. " - that whole section of conversation, with the Doctor being so wise, and B'Elanna's reaction to the hug - great!
Mizvoy chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
This was a great story, Hester! I had forgotten how close together in the season these two episodes were! The interactions between B'Elanna and the Doctor are spot on! And, ironically, the Doctor does end up betraying them, in a way, later in the series. Interesting story. I loved the B'Elanna point of view!
CallHerVictor chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
You really do have a great grasp on character voice and dialogue pace. Very sharp. :)
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
A thoughtful look at an under-explored relationship. Nicely done!
Delwin chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
A very satisfying look at the growth of the unique friendship between these two wonderful characters. Thank you again for this!
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 8/31/2013
"And all because I thought I could trust a machine! ... I thought they were... more like you ... I thought that they were capable of personal growth, of becoming more than the sum of their parts and programming."
I enjoyed the parallels that you drew between B'Elanna's growth from trusting primarily in machines to accepting her need for people, and the Doctor's personal growth and transition from a holographic tool to a real person in the eyes of the crew. In this light, their friendship makes perfect sense.
Good work on a relationship that has garnered little attention over the years.