Reviews for The Last
chiroho chapter 14 . 11/21/2013
Always a treat to get a new chapter from you, and this one is actually sprung at a more opportune time than usual it being the middle of the day for me. So that means I can R&R immediately, which is always extra nice.

Bruce trying to avoid the paparazzi is always amusing. You'd think that he'd have better ways of doing it than having to slip out an alley and hail a cab, but I guess most of his "toy" budget goes into stuff for the bat-cult and not more typical helicopters. That said, surely he's built some sort of underground express subway that leads straight back to somewhere near Wayne Manor so he doesn't have to associate with the riff-raff. I imagine it like the one in "You Only Live Twice", or perhaps like the one at the "Black Mesa" facility. I'm sure Bruce is behind the whole Black Mesa thing. Or is that Lex? ;)

Interesting ploy to divide the neighbourhoods up on a more permanent basis. Makes a lot of sense given their manpower, though obviously Helena isn't terribly keen about working with Dick Grayson. Sleeping together can definitely change a working relationship, even if both parties agree it was a mistake. And then there's the whole Barbara thing, which I guess must be going well with Dick as he moved into the tower.

Interestingly I don't remember the Selina Kyle from The Dark Knight Rises having cats, even when BW visits her apartment. She has a friend, but no cats. So I guess you've chosen that aspect of her personality from previous incarnations. Not sure if I recall you saying which of the movie portrayals you preferred for her look - Anne Hathaway, Halle Berry, Michelle Pfeiffer, Lee Meriwether, or Julie Newmar. Or something else entirely!

Interesting that BM is grooming Tim Drake to take over, and that Tim essentially comes as a package deal these days. Given that Tim is only 16 there's a lot of years in front of him, but I wonder where he'd go - for example in comparison to Dick joining GCPD (or GPD depending on which you prefer). Given that he's already so good at the whole detective aspect, he wouldn't necessarily need training at it in order to succeed, but does that mean he also gets somehow groomed into the whole Wayne Enterprises business, especially if he ends up marrying "Cassandra Wayne"? I guess it all depends how many years you end up going here. D

I see you're gradually continuing to whittle down the number of people with special powers left on earth - although Circe wasn't actually part of the JL. Of course, it makes a lot of sense for Diana to be concerned about the visions which she had, and what could potentially be coming in the future. I guess she loses that one source of information, though hopefully the return of Kal will make up for a whole lot that has been happening to her. Nice that you have Diana honouring her even though she's fallen because of what she'd become in the last few years of her life.

And of course have to comment on Diana telling Kara to stay away from Circe because of the magic. I wonder if what Kal has gone through has somehow changed what he's vulnerable too, and whether his return to earth will allow his wounds to finally heal. Certainly you'd think that Diana could get some purple ray action going on. (Which always struck me as being rather a gimmick. I mean, someone gets injured - no problem, we'll heal them immediately using a purple ray. What?)

Interesting that the telepathic (or whatever) communication from a defeated enemy is what finally triggers Kal's memories returning. And I can certainly understand how 5 years after he was captured he's so very homesick. No doubt it will be a very interesting homecoming for him, and people will have some trust issues before completely being okay with him moving forward. And then he'll have to deal with the fact that Diana is the mistress of the Watchtower, which should hopefully produce some amusing moments!

Even though this chapter is shorter than some of the others you've written, it's still massive by most standards. Thank you so much for continuing to write and post and put so much effort into this. It's very much enjoyed and appreciated.
Berserkerofhell chapter 14 . 11/21/2013
This chapter was very fillery and therefore disappointing. Maybe now the story will push forward. Its seemed stalled with Kal not taking point.
Geonitz chapter 13 . 11/20/2013
Love your story, it really captures the 'epicness' that these characters deserve!
Nightwing 509 chapter 3 . 11/17/2013
I like the way you had Clark and the others meet. Please update soon.
Guest chapter 13 . 11/16/2013
I hated that BW fugitive arc... I'm glad ur doing it in a different way...
I'm really excited that Selina is part of ur story in a very meaningful and beyond tasteful way

Keep going :)
chiroho chapter 13 . 11/15/2013
Even though Kal has experienced some horribly intense torture, hard to imagine what would still leave his back scarred enough to not heal even with a month's exposure to a yellow sun, and was taken advantage of many times, the Greek gods were able to facilitate an escape for him. Of course, just because he has escaped doesn't mean all is well - as his fractured mind reveals. He may know how to do things, but really doesn't understand who he is, or what he means. Hopefully that's something which will change in the coming chapter (or so).

And you're right, not being familiar with DC history I had to go and dig and find out who Lar Gand is, and what his relationship is with Krypton. I think all I managed was a somewhat brief overview, but it gives me some sort of a clue. Having Kal work with someone who he perhaps could consider as close to a brother to defeat the horrible experimentations of Dominators (is there actually anyone nice out there in the galaxy?) is something which is great. Though you'd think with what he's been doing some sort of word would be getting out to the coalition of new lanterns and star sapphires. Or at the very least New Genesis. So hopefully, in the not too distant future, Diana will have some sort of reason to hope again.

Very much like what you're doing with the bat-fam, and Tim being the one who is perhaps truly following in Bruce's footsteps. Even though the others are a very integral part of defending Gotham, the ability to dig up information is definitely something that can't just be taught. And while I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing that Helena's interest in Tim is because of the New 52 hinted information that she was the Robin to the Batman in her alternate universe before coming through a boom tube and deciding to call herself Huntress. But I could easily be wrong. :-)

Very moving scene with Diana trying to come to terms with not only the loss of Donna, but the fact that nobody knows where the man she loves is - or even if he is alive. I can see her returning to Themyscira in an effort to reconnect. I'm not sure what the difference is between Donna's and Diana's bracers, so I guess I'll have to try and look that up and then fathom what the merged ones might do for Diana that she couldn't do previously. Of course, I'm sure Kal would be continually rolling his eyes at the whole "magic" thing. He just wishes he had access to the sufficiently advanced science so it wouldn't seem like magic.

Continuing to really enjoy your story. Thanks so much for all your efforts. Always looking forward to more!
Airbender42 chapter 13 . 11/15/2013
Thanks for the great update !
shugokage chapter 13 . 11/14/2013
Wow amazing story!
Guest chapter 13 . 11/14/2013
Awesome, absolutely awesome! More soon please!
Francisdrake chapter 13 . 11/14/2013
Great chapter... please, keep up the good work. ;)

P.S. Isn't Lar Gand the guy that Superman sent to the phantom zone after he was poisened by lead in order to keep him alive? And that DC also "recruited" for the Legion?
phyrephly chapter 13 . 11/14/2013
Was Lar Gand in LSH? Vague memory of him, or a character very like him there...now to this chapter; firstly - ?! then, Wow that was an enjoyable read XD
Darksnider05 chapter 13 . 11/13/2013
Would kind of like to see a few scenes of Kal-El talking to people from his home planet expressing how surprised they are to see him. Him learning a bit about who he was and him also sharing a bit about what he can barely grasp about his past.
jrrm64 chapter 13 . 11/13/2013
When are you going to call him Mon-El?
Airbender42 chapter 12 . 11/10/2013
The whole universe / Gotham juxtaposition works for me .This story made me actually research Cassandra Cain since I really dont know her story. Again I'm amazed at the scope and detail of your writing. Yes the TDKR also gave me a headache . Thanks for the incredible chapter!
PS Yes I do miss Clark a lot. This has been so rough on Diana. But I trust you probably have a whole arc for his return :-)
666Peaches101 chapter 12 . 11/8/2013
You're harsh but I like your story anyways ;-)
It make senses and clever for mixing the The Knight Trilogy and No Man's Land. I thought the movie make sense and I remember reading one story that revenge and hatred poisons the soul.
Other than that, this chapter is brilliant!
Poor Diana, she's suffering big time. :'(