Reviews for The Careers - Analysis
melina49 chapter 2 . 6/10
I am still laughing mainly because of Peeta(I love him tho). How many times has he almost died? Incredible, you should update
Am I too late? Updated: Sep 4, 2013 I probably am

Did you laugh? If not I'm sending Bella right now to torture you
HungerGamesFan20 chapter 2 . 2/11/2014
"I parody three types of stories: those I really like, those I really hate, and those I see massive plot holes in."

What is twilight then? Do you hate it, but still see massive plot-holes? Or do you like it and see massive plot-holes, or do you hate it, and see no plot-holes?
saxanet12 chapter 2 . 12/23/2013
NO! DON"T STOP UPDATING!
saxanet12 chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
Hi!
OMG! I never realized any of this until I saw you write this! You have a really good understanding of the Hunger Games!
Great work!
Dances With Vampires chapter 1 . 12/17/2013
I'm curious-what are your thoughts on Annie, and the District 1 girl from Haymitch's Games?
Radio Free Death chapter 1 . 11/21/2013
I don't think the way the careers died was the problem, but the way they were portrayed in general.

The careers were essentially the easiest to dehumanize because attacking the Captiol directly required too much effort. For Katniss to realize the careers are victims would be to realize that the Games are false, something Katniss throws away the moment she boards the train. For all that she bemoans about how they're breaking the rules and they're arrogant, she shares a lot of qualities with them. She is trained, she is well-fed, she looks down to all the other nameless tributes aside from Rue (and even there she doesn't really exist as her own person but as a small extension of Prim), the first thing she does when she enters the arena is see how quickly she could pick off her competition before she's overwhelmed, instead of just getting something and running off.

But back to your analysis of career deaths.

They all seem to rely on a really odd mixture of incompetence. Marvel killed a screaming girl in a net (how did Rue even allow herself to be trapped in one? Thought she was good at staying in the trees?) instead of at the more obvious threat charging down at him with a bow. Glimmer's death was brought on by her bad luck, though the scenes featuring her were unpleasant. Forget about the fact that like Katniss, she had no say in her outfit or her image, so her being beautiful seems to be the only reason Katniss dislikes her, but there's also the fact that Glimmer uses a bow she doesn't know how to use, and she falls asleep on watch before Katniss drops the nest.

Cato's death was unnecessarily dragged out. Yeah, it does seem rather inprobable that he couldn't kill Peeta in a chokehold that essentially cuts the oxygen to the brain in seconds if you're good, and Cato should be considering he's trained. When he gets torn up by werewolves (let's dehumanize the unknown cast even further by turning them into animals, yay!) he lasts for hours and hours of being torn alive, and Katniss finally realizes that she probably should kill him. Ditto for Clove too, who allowed herself to lose her ground and recite a bunch of cliche, uberevil lines that should've ended with "Today Hunger Games...tomorrow the world!"

The District Four boy dying at the bloodbath is actually one of the more realistic deaths. If everyone's scrambling for weapons and killing one another for them and each other, there's going to be a lot of opportunistic deaths. A lot of fanfics have the Four boy being killed by a career for being incompetent, but it could've easily have been some other kid who took the chance to kill him while his back was turned or preoccupied. Really, D4 no longer being a career district in the movie was because this was slowly being retconned in the second book, and moral ambiguity is someting the book doesn't grasp well.
Ah chapter 1 . 9/6/2013
Do stuff wrong with the movie facts.

*the mahogany tables looks a lot more like cherry*

*Clove was like 6 inches shorter than Katniss yet somehow overpowered her*

*i could go on forever*
ImmyRose chapter 2 . 9/4/2013
Can I mention that review whoring is a really bad idea and makes it look like you'd quit whatever story you're on about if you don't get any reviewers, discouraging people from wanting to review because it'd be a waste of their time? Because it is.

Anyway, you make more valid points with the death of Gloss and how it basically ripped off Marvel's death from the first book, which is pretty lazy by writing standards. Mind you, it's hard to judge on how stupid the Career training in Districts 1, 2 and 4 is as it was never explored in any depth whatsoever. It's also annoying how there are siblings in the arena and this is never expanded on whatsoever and is treated like no big deal. I'm pretty sure that this isn't some everyday occurrence in the Games.

Why would they even allow a 14 year old into the Games? I'm pretty sure District 4 would be a Career district by the 65th Games, and simple logic dictates that an older kid would have a better chance at winning than a 14 year old. The District 4 tributes weren't exactly very Career-ish either; fanon does a better job at portraying them as Careers than the books do.
ImmyRose chapter 1 . 9/4/2013
I like reading fanfictions that exploit the flaws in the canon Hunger Games series, seeing as there are a lot, and I liked the little explanations for the Careers and how pathetic their deaths really are for supposedly trained kids. I mean, their only real purpose was so that there's an antagonist in the series that isn't the Capitol and the reasoning behind the Careers banding together doesn't actually make much sense in the first place. And despite the fact that they're trained, none of them even took into consideration the idea of burning down the tree that Katniss was in after running from a forest fire, or chopping down the tree, or doing anything else but take a nap and leave only one person on guard that could easily kill the others in their sleep.

The sad thing is that their deaths are the only ones that really get any detail in the actual books, seeing as the only non-Careers that had their deaths shown at all were Rue, the girl from 8 and the boy from 9.

And have you noticed that the only kills Katniss makes in the 74th Hunger Games happen to ALL be the heavily-dehumanized Careers - who it is almost impossible to feel sympathy for based on the books? I like how it's somewhat implied here, since that's a definite theme as well. Since she's the supposed protagonist, she HAS to be instrumental - or at least witness - the antagonists' deaths. And this is the most detailed and reliable source of the Games that we have.

I'll be reviewing the 75th Games now.
Jess chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
Katniss is SUCH a Mary-Sue it's not even funny anymore.
Pdiddy chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
Love this can't wait for the 75th
Victoire Collins chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
You are right. The careers died incredibily easy. I supposed that with they training they would have had more complicated deaths. Please, post the next analysis soon because I'll love to see your ideas!