Reviews for Journey to Babel
Anake14 chapter 8 . 9/8
So...I pretty much read all your stories in 2 days and have to say I absolutely love them and it's a shame I didn't find them sooner. I hope you're doing well and still write. I know what it's like, needing an outlet for all the emotions and I most sincerely hope that your depression has not treated you badly as of are a wonderful writer and I can't wait to read more of anything you choose to write, whether you continue this storyline and series or not. My best wishes to you, for your health, your family, and your success.

Live Long and Prosper
TheSlayerofGallifrey chapter 8 . 8/28
Love this series. I hope you return to it one day! Cheers!
guest chapter 8 . 8/19
I love this!
I read the whole series up to this point in the last few days and it's amazing!
Please plz plz finish this?
Need to know how this is gonna end!
Thanks for taking the time to write this :)
peacelight24 chapter 8 . 8/12
Oh. My. God.

Oh my God oh my God oh my God.

You are amazing. I don't know what else to call it. I've just spent the last...four or five days(?) reading your beautiful, wonderful saga. I know that it's been some time since you've updated it, but I hope that somewhere down the line you finish it. It's...nearly perfect. Let me give you three reasons why.

1: The characterization is fucking phenomenal.

I just can't get over how perfectly you've characterized everyone. Jim especially so. It's the perfect balance between good qualities and character flaws-you display her slight selfishness and childishness and moodiness, but you balance it with her heroism and innocence and kindness so's painfully human. Painfully. I don't think there's a better way to describe it. Not to mention the other characters. I love how you do your characterization. You manage to convey personality without much introspection on the narrator's part. Instead you let their personalities shine through dialogue and action. It's just great.

2: The complexity of your saga is just astounding.

I am floored, absolutely floored, by the incredible weave of your plot. And rather than just doing what the various episodes and movies did, you incorporated pieces of them into something much greater than what they ever were before. I love your story. Like, more than I like the actual canon. J.J. Abrams should hire you. Seriously, it's amazing, it's not expected, it's not predictable. You took things that were big canonical issues and forged them into part of a greater story that details human emotion just so perfectly. And what you're doing with Khan! It was started so freaking long ago, back in your sequel, and it just makes such sense the way you're doing it. Not to mention your whole origin for Khan is fascinating. More on that in a bit.

3: The romance is just fucking perfect.

I don't usually like slow-burn romances. Usually they're a bit trashy. They often times have characters being oblivious over and over again or consciously denying their feelings for hundreds of thousands of words that I just don't have the patience or interest to read through. Your fic though...your fic was great. It made sense. The development of Jim and Spock's relationship made a logical emotional progression. I didn't feel impatient with it. I didn't feel like the romance was just a plot device, the denial or emotions just a way to fill space. It all made such sense, and when feelings were realized they fucking dealt with it like actual adults. I also loved that you didn't cap off the series with their realization of feelings. No, now you're exploring their relationship as lovers, which few people ever do. I am extraordinarily pleased to see it.

There are many more things I could say like this. For one, I love how you've incorporated religion into this saga. How you've manifested death as something natural and even good for the order of the universe. I don't know what your religious background is, but I'm a Christian. And I love it when I see people discuss religion intelligently, without bias, and without prejudice in literature. You did such, and developed really fascinating ideas about it in this fic. I loved how terribly complicated you made the galaxy, with politics and other cultures and such. I loved that you made sure the Federation was not an unquestionable Good Guy. I loved that you took risks with what you wrote, and ran with them and fucking owned it. I'm just so impressed with how you did all this, and awed by the amount of time and energy it probably took to write it.

My favorite of your stories in this saga is probably "The Enemy Within." Mostly because I loved, and I mean LOVED, the kids. I also liked the development Jim underwent as a captain. Most of all, I felt like that fic really captured the essence of Star Trek, which is to meet other cultures and people across time and space and in the process discover where humanity lies. To explore and discover and learn about the rest of the world, an in the process, discover ourselves. I felt like you really did that with the development of Simperion, and the children, and I just really loved the balance you had between plot and character/relational development.

Since you also asked for something to think about, here it is: Although I enjoyed every bit of your fic, I do think some of the plot and character development could have been pared down a bit so you didn't have quite the monstrous saga you have here. For instance, I'm not sure the whole trip to Riverside arc was strictly necessary. I like the idea of Jim meeting her family, and I do think the start to mending her relationship with Winona was indeed necessary. Maybe even confronting Frank's humanity despite his monstrous actions was necessary. But the whole thing took up nearly four chapters. I'm not saying it was bad-I thoroughly enjoyed it-and you did it very well. I liked the domesticity of it, experiencing James T. Kirk as a civilian with human problems like funerals and family tension. I thought that was wonderful. I'm just saying it might have been possible to cut down on some of it, pare it down so it was a little less cumbersome to your story-line.

That said, I really do like all the little scenes you've had in your fics. My favorite scene is still probably the one where Spock catches James reading/eating/painting her nails in their bathroom. I'm not sure why-it wasn't necessary to the plot or their character development. I think it was just so terribly characteristic of /them/, the characters, that it felt very real. It was also funny as shit. You're funny as shit in general, but that scene in particular got me, for some reason. My other favorite scenes are also from that fic-the one where Jim is sacrificed, and she's so terribly human in that moment, and the one where the entire realm of Simperion honors her. I'm also a huge fan of the scene where she and Spock first kiss. It's just beautiful. And completely worth the wait.

Also, can I just say now, that I'm really happy Q is back? I've been waiting for him to show up since last time he was here.

So there you have it. I'm in awe. I am completely in love with your fic, and I eagerly await the possibility of your return.

On another, possibly related note, I noticed you mentioned once or twice that you've been struggling with depression. I too have had to deal with this, and I'd like to tell you that if you ever wish to talk to someone, I am more than happy to lend an ear. I've found that sometimes talking to a stranger who won't judge you according to their perception of you is helpful. I won't judge you in any case, but I think you know what I mean. If you need a willing ear, to talk about literally anything, I am offering. We can talk about clouds for all I care. I'm just offering.

Well that's it. I am going to go post the same review on your AO3 account, just to make sure I reach you. Thank you for the gift that is this fic, and I wish you all the best.
phoenixfelicis07 chapter 8 . 8/1
I greatly enjoyed reading your little series here over the past couple of days. I am obsessed with this story right now and all of your subtle references to pop culture and other Star Trek moments (Q!). I really hope that you continue with this since I am very anxious for a reunion between Spock and Jim (maybe from Spock's POV) as well as Bones's reaction to Jim going and dying on him again... Chapel too. I am also on the edge of my seat with this whole Khan business and that no one remembers that he is a threat when they talk about the Mitchel-Denher fiasco. Jim needs to go visit Jasel & co. to sort out these new abilities without the corruptive influence of Khan. I'm also not a big fan of M'Benga right now. Speaking of, I LOVE it when Jim speaks Vulcan to Spock. More of that would be great. Lastly, I'd like some insight on the de-aging of Max, and why he hasn't been returned to Admiral Archer. Also, why didn't Max have a known name beforehand, like Porthos?
Anyway, I really hope you continue to write this story, and let me just acknowledge that I appreciate how difficult it must be to write with all the intricacies and complexities of this mercurial plot. Well done so far and I hope to hear more from you :)
Hikari.Kuro1994 chapter 3 . 1/20
I have been steadily reading this saga over the past couple of days, and just now finishing chapter 3 I must tell you that I cried. You made me think of my grandfathers funeral and how I cried then and when I lost a schoolmate just after graduation. Thank you for reminding me of them, you tend to spend most of your time forgetting and hiding your griefs away; and it's not until you find something that reminds you that you cry for them and think on how much you loved or miss them.
Other then that I love this series and I know you never finished, but thankyou so very much for the story.
arabellalynn chapter 8 . 12/1/2015
please update! love this little series.
V chapter 8 . 11/28/2015
Wow, I've read this entire series in one go, ppausing only to eat or sleep... and even then it was hard to put my tablet down XP

Now on to create an account and sta- I mean, follow you.
Guest chapter 8 . 9/2/2015
I have been reading your stories for the last days. I am totally addicted by nowthis is such a great series please finish this one
Guest chapter 1 . 7/6/2015
This fic should be labeled more obviously as FEM-Kirk. Or tagged with the Fem-Kirk tag at least. Just to better alert people who prefer the canon version of the very male Kirk.
Thank you. :-)
Spirk chapter 8 . 6/19/2015
O.M.G. I just finished reading this and I can't even. For the past three days I have been frantically nonstop reading the whole series of yours and have been dying every single second. Your story has made my cry, laugh, and basically die! It's so good! I really hope you update soon since its been a while, hope everything is ok! I really love this story and hope with all my heart and a cherry on top you continue, because I'm dying over knowing what happened to Jim rn, and Spock reaction to her coming back after dying!
Guest chapter 8 . 6/19/2015
This has been a very enjoyable series to read, thank you! Something new and interesting always kept happening, so one can't stop reading, but it still managed to flow well from one thing to the next without it feeling like too much of a stretch, good job. Your characters are very well rounded and like-able and one can tell that great care went into creating them. I am sad that you did not finish this. However, I hope you have continued writing. All the best!
Guest chapter 8 . 5/29/2015
I absolutely love this. The way you portray Jim is wonderful and accurate, plus, this story never gets boring! I do so good that you continue with this soon, I'm already biting my nails in anticipation for the next chapter.
Guest chapter 8 . 5/2/2015
Please update this story! I really like where it's going and I'd love to read more. More than anything else I wanna see Khan's future plans
Dragones chapter 8 . 5/1/2015
I know that this hasn't been updated for a while, but I recently remembered loving this series and spent 6 hours trying to track it down again. When I finally found it, I plunged in face first and systematically devoured each installment.
I hope you write more soon, as I feel the crushing sense of remorse at having come to the end of what is here...