Reviews for To Sing of Her
Finwen chapter 1 . 11/17/2002
This is just so beautiful. And so believable. It's so... Elvish. So poetic and moving and full of bittersweet grief. Real poetry. Thankyou so much.

Gemma
Glorfie-chan chapter 1 . 10/14/2002
Great poem! I like it. You catch the feel of Gondolin at the end of its greatness really well.

And you've been on since 98? Wow!
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
Commenting on poetry is really one of my weakest points. I was trained to do it, but I don't think I do it that well. All the same, I can enjoy poetry even if I can't analyze it, and I certainly enjoyed this one. The tone is again set perfectly. From the beginning, there is a sense of longing. The memories of singing of the sunrise and of the silver and gold beauty of Gondolin is exactly what the elves would do. The memory of every moment, of "white ashes and white dust," was especially poignant.
Coffee Lover chapter 1 . 9/21/2002
you are really mean, and if you dont know why then read the reveiws to one of my stories! YOU MEANIE!

...CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOU! _ and be thankfull i didnt send you a nasty e-mail complete with a virus (j/k)

Lauren
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 9/18/2002
Can't do anything but agree with what the other reviewers have said. What talent! You're the match of any sage of Gondolin. :)
LasseLanta01 chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
So lovely, you've captured the eternal pain of loss, that sometimes the ashes of beauty reside only in our memory. Gondolin was such a city and it's downfall foreshadowed the fading of the elves. "Yet I can only wish I could forget." Wonderful writing.
Mouse chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Just gorgeous. Gondolin was more than a city- there was so much behind it. "of the last hope", as you say, the last standing Elven-kingdom, and Tirion built again, a replacement for the home the Exiles could never return to. Hidden away from the world and the war, like Elvish life as it was in Aman preserved on Middle-Earth in a little pocket of stone.

Beautiful poetry- it evokes its own music.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
Evocative verses that sound almost Biblical. I can feel the love and the longing, and the mourning over destruction. You make the tragedy of the fall of Gondolin accessable.
Artanis chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
*This* definitely my favorite poem that you ever wrote. I know I am a cry baby, but as I imagine the feeling of the minstrel, or poet who chanted this poem, I feel like crying.

"Remember when we thought that beauty was eternal,"

It took a lot of painful lesson for the Elves to understand that nothing is eternal isn't it?

And I am so sad that loosing lives and cities are some of the lessons.
Finch chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
Haunting and beautiful, a fitting homage not only to Gondolin but to all beauty destroyed and preserved only in memory.
Soledad chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
Sad and beautiful. People who can write true poetry (as opposite of just poems) always impressed the hell out of me. You have a great talent. Please keep showing it for our pleasure.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
The imagry of this poem is lovely, and the singer's grief and love for what is lost comes through beautifully. This is one of the finest Tolkien-based poems I have ever read.
CCC chapter 1 . 9/14/2002
*sob* That's so beautiful...