Reviews for Flower of Ice and Steel
izzy825 chapter 29 . 4/5
I've read your story a few times from start to finish already and I'm just now leaving a review, ahhh I'm sorry. This was the first EowynxFaramir fanfic I read after reading the Return of the King, and I have to say I'm SUPER happy that I chose to read your story first. No doubt there are other well-written EowynxFaramir stories on this site, but after sifting through most of them, I really find that none can top your story. It's very true to the books (and movies), and the characters and their personalities themselves. It was so easy to picture in my head as I read along, as if I were watching them in the movie. Thank you for writing such an amazing, well-written story :) (one of my favorites on the site)
EStrunk chapter 29 . 11/9/2016
Lovely story. I loved your description of the dancing and just the general atmosphere you've created around their new home.
EStrunk chapter 28 . 11/8/2016
Things are going to be difficult for Eomer and Lothiriel. Sigh. I'm glad that Eowyn and Lothiriel made amends (at least somewhat). I'm also very happy that she forgot about all the politics and enjoyed her (second) wedding.
EStrunk chapter 27 . 11/8/2016
Very funny strategy of putting two enemies to guard Rustwen. I was glad that she wasn't forgotten. Loved Eowyn and Eomer's talk, esp. when she recognized that his insecurity came from Wormtongue's words. I'm a Lothiriel/Eomer fan so I hope he gets over it. I wish Eowyn would see more of the good of Gondor. She seems only to see the negative lately. Glad to see the two of them together again.
EStrunk chapter 26 . 11/7/2016
Now it is time for the lawyer in me to be thrilled. (I am a lawyer by license, although it is a trade which I now practice infrequently.) I loved their discussion - both the recognition of the issues of who can be a witness, hearsay, dying declaration, etc. and how well Eowyn framed things. I can't imagine how many different areas of disarray need to be addressed and how overlapping they would be, i.e. getting the bandits under control is now endangered by the useless laws about women as witnesses. Any chance they could get them tried in Rohan for crimes committed there?
EStrunk chapter 25 . 11/7/2016
Tense situation. What did happen with Rustwen? I like Faramir's cool handling of things, but it seems like he is in a trap. Is Elfhelm gone or nearby to back him up?
EStrunk chapter 24 . 11/6/2016
Horrible to think about the many ways people can be trapped in awful situations. I do appreciate the efforts that Faramir and Eowyn, et al, are making to figure out what is going on and what can be proven. Glad they were able to save Rustwen.
EStrunk chapter 23 . 11/6/2016
So this really is a bunch of scum buckets. And we're back to Castamir. What a nest of hornets. Liked Eowyn's retort, although it does reinforce the impression that they are in bed with the Rohirrim.
EStrunk chapter 22 . 11/6/2016
That was quite dramatic and amazingly inventive. I just hate wargs. The frightened horses in the water were terrifying. I love how familiar you seem to be with horses. Glad Eowyn and Cynefrid have reconciled, even if it was wordless. Faramir's letter was wonderful.
EStrunk chapter 21 . 11/6/2016
I love Eowyn's tortured musings over why she fights. Her letter was lovely. Again - I adore the historical detail.
EStrunk chapter 20 . 11/6/2016
The hardest fights are when you are really fighting against reality, against the universe and neither of you has the answers. I am glad that they had "a row" and handled it reasonably well. So many interesting issues - about the micro v. the macro, about choice - how much anyone really has, how much, if any, any of us are due. I like that Faramir had a temper here too. I loved/hated it when he said he would stay with his troops. Glad he changed his mind.
EStrunk chapter 19 . 11/6/2016
Nice that they run into each other. Looks like she has the same temper as Eomund and Eomer. I hope this experience tempers it, although part of me understands why she was so angry.
EStrunk chapter 18 . 11/6/2016
Interesting bit about learning how to fight. They haven't really dealt with that yet. The feasting after the funeral was a good observation too. It was good to get Theoden back for a bit, but awful to lose him again so soon.
EStrunk chapter 17 . 11/6/2016
I love it when Eowyn can look at someone else's point of view, like Theoden's and Aragorn's, even if she doesn't fully agree with them. The detail about practice at jousting was wonderful. Eomer's comment about "jousting and so on" was fun. I love the depth in your writing.
EStrunk chapter 16 . 11/6/2016
Eowyn's moment of fear when she saw Faramir approaching was so very unexpected (for her and for us) and human. I loved the line about Faramir's smile at her, "as if he were looking at the earth in its first dys of creation." How beautiful. Cynefrid's wife (can't do that symbol) had a great line too about how Eowyn had fallen for the first one to be kind, but had been lucky. That is true and puts a new perspective on the speed of their relationship.