Reviews for Flower of Ice and Steel
teapearl chapter 11 . 5/30
I like how you made the book's dialogue work in your version. Eowyn and Faramir's intimacy is well written and the ending is beautiful.
teapearl chapter 10 . 5/30
My favorite parts from this chapter are: the morning after scene, and Eowyn's interactions with the Rohirrim and Merry. It's understandable there'd be opposition to Aragorn becoming King. Gondor rejected other claimants in the past, Aragorn is unknown (not many remember him as Thorongil), and the Stewards have governed the country for nearly a thousand years.
teapearl chapter 9 . 5/22
Brilliant chapter. The celebratory dinner leaves much to be desired. Court intrigue sadly cannot be paused for any event, not even the end of Sauron. It's great Eowyn and Faramir ended the night in a happier state. :-)
teapearl chapter 8 . 5/22
I like your author's notes. Very informative. The first part was vivid and emotional. At least Ivorwen got to say goodbye. The pacing is good. Eowyn and Faramir honestly dealt with the previous night's mishap and their feelings, even though she's unsure, and seamlessly weaves in the book's wall scene.
teapearl chapter 7 . 5/22
I'm glad Eowyn didn't let Faramir wallow in self-pity. They're both attracted to each other and got carried away. I don't mind stories diverging from canon as long as they're well written and fit reasonably within the canon universe. Looking forward to the next chapter.
teapearl chapter 6 . 5/21
I enjoyed Eowyn and Lothiriel's frank chat, especially the latter's line about them being "blood mares, and must only be covered by the right stallions."
Doranwen chapter 29 . 5/18
Aww, I love Faramir/Éowyn. We know some about it-but yet there's still so much one can fill in of their story! This was a very enjoyable read.
teapearl chapter 5 . 5/16
What a bittersweet chapter. You balanced and transitioned through several heavy topics brilliantly. Faramir and Eowyn only met a few days ago and you've made their chat about such personal topics as sexual trauma, rejected/lost loves, and guilt believable without too much awkwardness or one seemingly to burden the other with his/her troubles.
teapearl chapter 4 . 5/16
The stable conversation was wonderfully funny. It reminded me of a silly moment years ago when talking to a guy I was interested in. We were chatting and I reached for a soda. I don't know why but I shook it before opening and of course, the soda sprayed all over. So embarrassing. :-P
I thought Boromir was only five years older than Faramir. I like Eowyn and Faramir's interaction, especially their openness discussing a sister's fighting vs. a brother's. I'd have mixed feelings too at Faramir's response. She's all ready to argue/defend herself and feminism yet his answer is honest and reasonable.
teapearl chapter 3 . 5/16
Another well written chapter. I like Eowyn's cautious interaction with Faramir and her proactive approach in the last section.
teapearl chapter 2 . 5/15
Good job weaving the book into this chapter. Eowyn's anxiety/PTSD symptoms are realistic too.
teapearl chapter 1 . 5/14
Well done! Your descriptions of Eowyn's bleak existence under the Worm's influence, short period of hope after Aragorn's intervention, and depressed outlook at her own survival are vivid. I'm looking forward to reading this story. :)
Tibblets chapter 29 . 4/22
I have really enjoyed this story. I do hope you write a sequel, I will be interested in how Eomer and Lothiriel solve their complication. I also am impressed and pleased by your excellent grasp of history, I consider myself a fairly well versed historian, and like seeing this type of knowledge put to good use.
All right, authoress extraordinaire, you've created expectations in a never to be satiated readership. We now impatiently await your Eomer/Lothiriel creation. How shall you propel their match? Shall you use dear Eowyn (and by extension dear Faramir) to facilitate fate ;-) (which is obviously a not so subtle hint to you we wish for more of the current pairing as well). There can never ever be too many well crafted, well-written stories with any and all of these archetypical characters. Bravo, bravo!
earthdragon chapter 29 . 3/16
Excellent story...and thank you for referring me to "Hot Springs", which is actually a perfect follow-up to this story. As for diverging from the "canon" version of Faramir and Eowyn, let's not forget that Tolkien was pretty Victorian in his outlook - plus LOTR is actually a children's book (even if it is read and enjoyed by adults), so of course it is a bit on the prudish side. I would say that your version of the two lovers is nearer to what they would actually have been like had they really existed. People were far more racey in medieval times - thanks to continual warfare and disease, life was short, so people got their fun whilst they could.

This has definitely been one of the best Faramir and Eowyn stories I have had the pleasure of reading. Well done!