Reviews for Strange Harmonies
Prophetic Fire chapter 2 . 8/20/2003
*stares open-mouthed at the computer screen* Wow. You're good. This is good. I can't even put together a worthy review. I may stop reviewing your stories alltogether, as it is too hard to do so. Of course I would never do that! but how strange it is to NOT be able to say anything! I just find that weird. But you get the idea.
Lara7 chapter 2 . 3/19/2003
Misery loves company, indeed *smile*

A highly interesting take on Gildor and Elrond. I like the way you outline their characters; Gildor and his attempted rebellion and later hesitation, and Elrond's efforts to get him through this. What works well for me is the family background you gave Gildor. It's convincing that his parents would have returned in the War of Wrath; this way the boy can actually be of the House of Finrod without twisting canon.

I found Gildor's reasons for choosing Elrond intriguing. He seemed to have put quite some thought into it at some point, and it turns his choice into something very profound. He always has been an interesting character to me, and this adds quite a lot to him that also fits well with what little bits there are on him in LotR.

As for Gil-galad and Celebrimbor... the first time I read, they seemed a contrast to me to Gildor and Elrond. But when I read again, their situation didn't seem to be different at all. Instead it reflected what was happening between Gildor and Elrond, just withut the formalities and the ceremony.

And Gildor's mother almost seemed to me like a fictional reincarnation of Tolkien, attempting to protect the Laws and Customs essay. ;-)
Aino chapter 2 . 1/21/2003
Oh, this was so beautiful! You write very well, and I just love this!
Cirdan chapter 2 . 9/27/2002
Well, you certainly did leave us hints as to how the relationships are going to end up eventually. I don't know why, but I'm almost maliciously happy to see Gil-galad's disappointment. The Laws & Customs aren't perfect, but neither are the Ceremonies established by the Elves in ME. Sure, it's meant to be an educational experience in the matters of love, but just take a look at what can happen. Mystery and beauty. Gildor's reasons for choosing are pretty good. Elrond's prophecy is interesting and very telling of his personality. The worst part is that it's true because Gildor's love will lead to sorrow, and I'm not quite sure how Elrond himself should lead to that but it's true all the same. "Suffering is a part of passion." A beautiful line, and a true one. Can't imagine that anyone would deliberately stalk them? :b Boy is Elrond wrong in that matter. I like seeing Elrond in control of the scene. That's what this is about after all, an older man teaching a younger man, and yet, somehow, Gildor expected to be ready. Elrond's very wise throughout, especially in his talk of the Music and the Children of Iluvatar. Elrond's choice is also notable because he is well in control of the situation and it is obviously a conscious choice to let himself be the one taken. There's something very amazing in it despite the fact that it's just a story, and I think it must be because the characters are so real that the choices they make aren't just devices meant to get at smut. Celebrimbor and Gil-galad's exchange was short but amusing. It certainly does give us an idea of who is to end up with who, and little did I know that Celebrimbor was interested in Gildor (or maybe Elrond?). My greatest treat here was Celebrimbor knowing widths and lengths without meansuring. Gil-galad should be a little more careful about accepting such an invitation. If Celebrimbor knows lengths without using a measuring rod... well, I guess Gil-galad has nothing to be ashamed of. *_* Anyway, it's nice to know that neither Gildor nor Elrond regret what happened. They're kind of sweet together, even if it's not love. Again, a brilliant story rendered in the finest language. Thanks for writing it for us all, even if it was for Soledad's birthday.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 9/27/2002
Wow, you really know how to draw in an audience. Your story starts running. I liked seeing Gildor face off with his mother, and the dialogue is so sharp. "Why do I have to hear this from him?" Who says Elven women can't be cool and strong? You certainly did a good job. Gildor's concession, trying to get his mother to name the people she doesn't want chosen, was a nice tactic. And when Nenarie does give in, she adds the bit about how they should've returned to the Blessed Realm ("home") right after the War of Wrath. It's subtle and yet very great in the way that she sees the Blessed Realm as home and its laws as the peak of perfection. Gildor, on the other hand, has never known any other home but ME, and he accepts it and all its imperfection. The possibility of choosing Gil-galad is paralleled well. In truth, we have all three kindreds of princes here. Gildor is from the least power-hungry of the original princes, Finarfin, yet Finarfin's the one that ended up with the kingship in Tirion, and that seems to have affected Gildor even if he's never actually been to Valinor. His attraction to Gil-galad is mostly to his well-braided hair and power as king. It's good to note that he found Gil-galad an ambitious choice but not an emotional one, which would lead us to believe that Elrond was an emotional choice. Elrond, on the other hand, is descended from Fingolfin, and he became king in ME. Elrond feels very wise even in his youth just by the fact that he prefers watching people to being watched. There's a line cut off "But those were memories he..." I've been curious for some time if I'm only missing one sentence or a whole paragraph of Elrond's thoughts. Elrond's also insightful in thinking that Gil-galad had to be careful in his courting, for he always ran the risk that people would respond to his authority rather than to his person. Yes, very true. No one dared to choose Gil-galad, not even Elrond though. And it's interesting that he sees Celebrimbor as one person who was capable of refusing Gildor's choice. And this leads to my third person, which unfairly slides into my review for the next chapter, actually. Because although it wasn't done at a Ceremony, Celebrimbor does, essentially, choose Gil-galad, and Gil-galad accepts. How can we ignore the fact that he's the descendant of Feanor and the only one bold enough to proposition the High King like that? I really liked this aspect of the story because it meant that, when I was finished reading the story and discovered the unexpected bit about Celebrimbor, I could go back to the beginning and reread the story and find new meaning in all that the characters thought and did. (Of course, this doesn't mean I've only read the story twice; I've actually read it more times than that because it's short and sweet.) The bit with Gildor's hair being braided into an adult fashion is a nice touch. Many cultures do have different hairstyles for children and adults, though that's less prevalent here in America. Well, I would've loved to see how you wrote Cirdan, but it's a short story, and you've already put in so much into it, so I'm ok with having him left out. Excellent job and beautiful writing!
Shelly chapter 2 . 9/24/2002
Gildor just can't be happy , it seems . sigh .

Well , he really is a lovely (if tortured )person , and it's nice to see him grow up a bit (with the assistance of Elrond -the -all -knowing of course *snort* ).

Beautiful story - you manage to tell alot about each character and their motives and desires (and fears , in Gildor's case ) in so few words , not to mention in such beautiful prose.

I don't suppose there's a chance for a Celebrimbor/Gildor story...?
erunyauve chapter 2 . 9/23/2002
I love the character Soledad has created in Gildor, and I love your addition to the character's mythology. It's so like him to completely underestimate Elrond, yet I felt sorry for him when he saw his mother on the terrace - it gives us a bit of an idea of Gildor's making.

"Elrond was slightly amused. 'I cannot imagine that anyone will deliberately stalk us.'" - except your King and Celebrimbor - nice touch!
vorondis chapter 2 . 9/17/2002
Though I'm fed up with , I just have to review this Gildor story... I think his spiritual maturity leaves something to be desired in the beginning - he hasn't distanced himself enough from the Laws & Customs - but I think it's exactly in this respect Elrond manages to teach him something.

I was a little sorry for Gil-galad and Celebrimbor. Let's hope they had a nice time to make up for their disappointment.
Maeve Riannon chapter 2 . 9/16/2002
Oh my God, my birthday present seems stupid seeing yours. Soledad is so lucky!

I liked hoow you anaged t write the cccontrast between youthful hopes and the truth of bonding, the discovering of adulthood, all that.. And poor Gil- galad and Celebrimbor! I honestly never imagined them together, but it looks natural here.

By the way, three points for you for the little naughty scene of Galadriel trying to braid Elronds hair. (Although I had thought before that you liked her.)
naltariel chapter 2 . 9/16/2002
Hehehe challenge on L&C isn't it? Tolkien would kiss Gildor's mom if he were still alive. Or, maybe not. :P.

Talking about jealousy... I wish I had birthday! Soledad must be one of the luckiest person on . Your fic is so beautiful. Never did I realise that Gildor would choose Elrond to discover the mystery of Ea. ( I read the chapters seperately since I couldn't open the 2nd chap when I read it for the 1st time.) What a beautiful reason.

And their love making. Gildor is afraid to be touched. And Elrond gave himself for him. How sweet. Your style is even more poetic and beautiful in this story, especially when you described Gildor's fear and Elrond's explanation.

I am really annoyed by Gil and Celebrimbor? Watching them and then... I could understand they are jealous, but must they do such dishonorable thing?
ElrohirStarHorseLord chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Good beginning!

Must have been somewhat of a shock for poor Elrond. I almost wish Gildor would have chosen Gil-galad, just because it would have been funny to see everyone's reactions.
Soledad chapter 2 . 9/15/2002
Why is it that all our stories about Elrond are full of sorrow? Somehow, I can't write him differently, either. When I think about it, the same is true for Gildor as well.

I liked your take on his motivations and the difference between Noldorin and Sindarin customs. It had to be quite a shock for Gildor's mother, seeing her only son abandon the high and mighty Laws & Customs.

And the hair thing at the end was really sweet.
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 9/15/2002
An oddly disturbing story. By letting go of the cruel rigidity of the Laws and Customs the characters have freed themselves to have loveless sex. Obviously there is a gain here in terms of freedom and possibility, but it seems that there is a loss as well, and not a small one. The Gil-galad/Celebrimbor scene at the end is just sad.

It's not a simple thing to figure out a code of sexual morality. Every choice has consequences, and losses. The code you show here values experience over romance, and wisdom above innocence. Which is probably an improvement. If this was a mistake on some level for Gildor, at least it was one that he can move on from.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Well, you've certainly put Laws&Customs in it's place. The challenge of the Noldor in adapting to Middle Earth makes a great deal of sense. Gildor's parents seem like they'd be much happier in Valinor, I wonder why they decided to stay.

I like the way Gildor recognizes that he is both like and unlike Finrod, and that his bravery may be no more that 'chasing sensation.' The moments from Elrond's POV are poigniant, especially the comment about losing two fathers.
watcherchild chapter 1 . 9/15/2002
Good description of the Noldor adapting to the Sindarin world. The reluctance of Gildor's mother illustrated this quite well.

I wonder why Gildor chose Elrond?