Reviews for Shadow of a Doubt
semitruculent chapter 65 . 4/29
I just finished reading both of these ficsthanks so much for writing. It touched me deeply. Recovery stories are so hard to do well, and the amount of thought, skill, and love poured into this one really shows. This was delightful. You are delightful
drainednerves chapter 52 . 4/15
Kill hiiiiiiiiiiiiim kill him kill him kill him kill him
grimCoordinator chapter 65 . 4/11
Spent the last like. 7 hours binge reading and sobbing 10/10 writing holy shit.
drainednerves chapter 8 . 4/7
Oh my poor child. Poor poor Danny. The show's 18th birthday brought me back here for a long overdue re-read! Not PoT though, there's only so much pain one can handle . Just as great a story as I remember
BDFun97 chapter 65 . 3/15
I just powered through 75% of this in the past.. 10 hours, and I read the rest of it and PoT over the past couple days and I just... wow. This was absolutely incredible. I know you probably won't see this since you're done with fanfics, but thank you for this story. It's amazing and fantastic and just... I can't even describe it with enough words to get across how beautiful it all is.
Thank you for this story, and godspeed with your future endeavors! I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future!
personally i love government of interdimensional warfare, it really suits them
I'm obsessed with this. After the first chapter I knew I would be glued to the screen until my phone died or my eyes refused to stay open- whichever came first. Also, I'm curious if the name Daniel Jackson is perhaps a Stargate SG:1 reference?
Demento56 chapter 65 . 2/4
So my cousin recommended Phantom of Truth and Shadow of a Doubt to me yesterday afternoon, and, uh... Well, I'm reviewing chapter 65 at 4:45 in the morning, if that tells you anything about how much I enjoyed this story. It wasn't an easy read for me, eitherI'm really more of a fluff/romance/slice of life kind of guy, so this was a bit of a departure from my usual fare. Still, this is one of the best stories ice ever read, and it was a great second story in this fandom for me.
THIS FIC IS SO AMAZING HOLY COW. you can really tell the blood, sweat, tears, and love that went into this fic—like WOW. you are SUCH a gifted writer and this is such an incredible story. I thought you did such a great job navigating the complexities of the subject and also SUCH. a good job explaining all the ectobioogy?! incredible. anyway, thank you for gifting this world with such an amazing work. easily in my top five fics :)
Asterism343 chapter 65 . 1/21
Holy shit. That was AWESOME. This has gotta be one of the best fics I've ever read, and I really do mean that! Thank you so much for having so much determination and persistence to finish this. The amount of work and dedication you've put in is absolutely incredible.
Asterism343 chapter 40 . 1/21
I just wanted to say, this fic is absolutely AMAZING! I'm not quite finished reading it yet, but I have no doubt that the rest will be really amazing too!
Asterism343 chapter 25 . 1/20
I'm really glad that computer viruses don't work quite like that because if they did that'd be terrifying
Alooxis chapter 65 . 11/20/2021
Okay. Okay. WHEW!

I’m sure I don’t have the words to properly describe how wonderful this is, but I’m gonna do my damndest to try. I almost wish I hadn’t read it so fast, because ever since I finished the last chapter, thoughts of Danny, Maddie, and all the people he’s met along the way have been bouncing around my head like Danny in the cold chamber (eyy don’t think I didn’t forget Phantom Of Truth either, don’t even get me started…)

But I really wanted to leave a comment that would express how just,,, impactful this fic was, because you’ve really outdone yourself.

First and foremost, is the balance of angst and levity. You stay true to Danny’s sense of humor in the show - from his goofy floating (early on in Phantom of truth), to his dodging jokes with Shannon during his recovery. Whether it was little moments of banter between him and Nikki or simply a chapter or two of calm, you always seemed to know when to release the tension - so that the next spike of angst would hit incredibly well. (I still have whiplash from Maddie turning on Danny in chapter 8 just when you think he’s about to finally fix his hand).

Second, and the thing that REALLY got to me about this fic- really made it resonate- is that every character reacted in a very logical, very genuine way given their motivations and personality. From Shannon’s moral dilemma she went through when deciding not to initially call CPS, to Dash’s guilt-laced attempts to hide what he thought was his accidental murder of Danny, everyone’s actions and dialogue felt achingly, beautifully REAL.
In particular, the scene(s) where Dr. Wagner is determined to send Maddie to jail for what she did to Danny really got to me. The idea that a character I really liked, with completely good intentions, might unintentionally re-endanger Danny in an attempt to save him was deLECTABLY painful. More than that, it was believable. How was this guy, a trained medical professional who’s never seen a (real) ghost before in his life supposed to believe that a video of Phantom soaring through the air is anything more than some fancy CGI? And that Danny’s story isn’t just a brainwashed attempt to defend his abusive parent? It made total sense that he wasn’t just gonna take their story (and some minor evidence) at face value. That made it all the better when he realizes that the GIW is real… that EVERYTHING he’d been told was real.

Finally, I was honestly surprised and delighted by how well you tied up every possible plot hole by the last chapter. That takes effort in any story, but in a massive work like this it’s practically a leviathan feat.
I was wondering if Cujo was forgotten after that brief scene where Maddie learned how to ‘tame’ him, but he became a method to demonstrate (to Danny, when he returned) that his mother’s stance on ghosts really was changing. Any worries I had about Dash trying to intimidate Danny into silence when he returned to school were quelled by the idea of him getting a GED instead. And, just when I thought that Vlad had been mentioned for the last time (and could potentially be a dangerous loose end), you reiterated that the thermos he was in was clearly labeled and safely stored away. It’s just. WOW. You really thought of everything!

And then we get to the ending. Somehow, all of the time and the tears spent to get from that first chapter of Phantom of Truth to the final chapter of this was worth it for that final scene. That scene when all of those who learned the hard way what Danny had gone through (Maddie, Jack, Jazz, Dr. Wagner, and of course, Shannon) could see the tangible results (or intangible, since he’s a ghost, y’know?) of Danny’s recovery through his return to Phantom form after so long. THAT. That was the moment where all the time I’d spent reading it (and I’m sure the YEARS you spent writing this) finally, FINALLY paid off.

Reading Maddie finally say the words “Welcome Home” (an echo of the mantra he repeated to himself over and over again on his grueling trek back to FentonWorks after escaping the lab)… it was enough to bring me to tears.

This is honestly one of the most well-written, compelling works of fiction - (let alone fan- fiction) that I’ve ever read. I am in awe of the time and effort you spent to make this work what it truly is:

A work of art.
Alooxis chapter 65 . 11/18/2021
When I was looking for a sequel to Phantom Of Truth I... well, I wasn’t expecting this.

I want to write a longer, more detailed comment at some point but... gosh dude. This is powerful in a way I never could have expected. The way my heart would twist at the toughest bits... to the immense love I now have for original characters like Shannon and Dr. Wagner... it’s truly amazing.

I really mean it when I say I will not be able to stop thinking about this fic for years... honestly, one of the best works of fiction I’ve ever read.

I don’t know what to say besides BRAVO! You have created something amazing and incredibly special. You should be so, so proud of yourself and the work you’ve done.
Guest chapter 65 . 10/16/2021
I am cryingggg this is so good
4,284 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »