Reviews for Star Effect: Deep Space 9
Johnwolf234 chapter 20 . 6/3
I like how you simultaneously refer to phasers as energy weapons then make something up to justify them doing damage in a way dependent on mass. Way to be 'consistent' lol.
I actually do like it apart from that, I just detest when writers try to magic stuff up to make kinetic barriers effective against energy, when it's canon that Guardian lasers are not affected by them.
(A lot of the 'energy' weapons in ME are actually liquid metal or particle beams though, it it does get a pass on those.)
caffeinedelusion chapter 36 . 2/25
While Garak's actor has stated that he played Garak as 'gay and interested', we've had no indications that Bashir is anything but straight. I'm not saying it's stupid... but it is out of character, based on available evidence.
caffeinedelusion chapter 18 . 2/25
Your basic lack of understanding of how phasers work shows here.
caffeinedelusion chapter 13 . 2/25
The thing about the Nadion particles in Phasers isn't so much that they don't behave like real world particles, but rather that they have a secondary system preventing their dispersion. Shipboard phasers specifically have their particle stream 'braided' through a subspace projection that keeps the beam coherent and on course for the span of its effective firing distance. It's not that Gravity wouldn't impact them, but rather that the subspace braid warps a tightly confined corridor of space between the emitter and the target, sheltering the beam from being pulled off course by gravity. The behavior of individual Nadion particles within the braid is comparable to the behavior of a bowling ball in bumper bowling.

This is distinct from the beam's behavior in relation to a gravitational effect that interposes itself directly into the beam's path. That will generally slide or sheer off the beam. There's some debate to be had as to whether or not Mass Effect fields (used in Kinetic Barriers) can effectively imitate this function of Star Trek shields. Mass Effect fields affect mass, causing an object to behave gravitationally as though it has a greater or lesser mass than it actually does. In the case of kinetic barriers, this requires computer systems to track and isolate discrete objects, judge whether or not the object is moving past a certain speed threshold (which indicates how much kinetic energy it has), and then interpose a sufficiently powerful Mass Effect field to reduce the object's mass to near zero, thus robbing it of effective force (which equals mass times acceleration). The object itself technically gets through, but is no longer a threat because it weighs so little that despite its speed it does no damage.

This is why Mass Effect fields are ineffective against phasers. The damage conducted by phasers is in no way kinetic. Even if the particle stream's mass is reduced to nothing, the damage of the phaser is done through a unique property of Nadion Radiation; it disrupts binding atomic force. This is explicitly described as a nonkinetic effect, causing the components of an object's constituent atoms to resist the electromagnetic forces that keep them coherent.
The P.B.G chapter 4 . 8/19/2016
At first when I saw the fact that Mass Effect was fictional I went "Oh god here we go" thinking it wasn another bad fanfic trend. But when Shepard truns round and calls them fictional I latterly died laughing, well played sir, well played.
jjslll54 chapter 29 . 4/20/2016
Hello,

I'm reading this story for the second time. I wouldn't worry about reviews good or bad. Just write the story the way you want it to go. You are the only one that needs to be satisfied about the results. You are not under a schedule from a publisher and make no money from your stories. What others think may give you satisfaction whether they like or dislike your stories and may help you to improve your writing skills, but ultimately it comes down to how you feel about what you have written.

I write Harry Potter stories and in my stories Harry and Hermione are always together and I give them super powers. That obviously is not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes me happy to write them that way. Fan fiction gives us the leeway to write our characters in any way we want. I enjoy your writing and I'm sure a lot of others do as well. People that take the time to review a story are probably a very small percentage of those that have read and enjoyed you work. So, write your stories they way you want. If other like it, that is good. If they don't, there are plenty of other stories to choose from. I've enjoyed this story immensely and I hope you will finish it eventually. Keep it up.

jjslll54
Tha Shadow 750 chapter 33 . 3/28/2016
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ME 'shields' actually active prevention systems, and only turn on when a mass of threaten relative velocity is detected?
Kaiya Azure chapter 37 . 3/20/2016
Well, that's different yet somewhat good in the short term at least. Nice to see Emily living longer than her canon death of ramming a Reaper drone with an aircar like some Klingon.

Personally, I still think the IES Stealth System could use Bose-Einstein condensate as coolant since the tech of Mass Effect has got to be more advanced than what went into the UNSC Pillar of Autumn during the refit or retrofit that occurred before finding Halo. Maybe. Still, being able to use Laser cooling tech to keep a fusion reactor from overheating and become somewhat self-regulating should make other applications of a similar nature seem plausible. Of course the only problem is that any story using the idea would most likely need a crossover of Mass Effect with Halo unless one has something like the Defiant and the ship's wealth of information that may include laser cooling. I think.
SupergodzillaSailorCosmos chapter 5 . 2/6/2016
Ingenious , simply ingenious .

Two fictional series meet and know this is the Jewals other fiction .

I found this story at random . And am glad .

Please write on quickly .

Sincerely SupergodzillaSailorCosmos
Wolf Guard Miestwin chapter 30 . 1/25/2016
Nice one. I would love to see more of their reactions for ME fanarts and fanfics. Maybe not in the main timeline, but in omake.
Also, the other way around. ST people reacting to their portion of nerd works. :P
Wolf Guard Miestwin chapter 29 . 1/25/2016
You need a review? I can't give you one, because I'm not too good with those, but I'll tell you that so far I like this story. The pacing feels good, although sometimes it is a bit rushed, but not too much, and better rushed than boring. Feels less like a game, and more like a mini arc of 90's-00's TV series. I don't know if this is what you wanted, but this is what you got.
Earlier, characters could use more familiarizing with the opposite world. More conversations and knowledge exchanging between them, because it felt too much like "different universes tech/people/behavior... ok". But I think it might be too late for that.
Wolf Guard Miestwin chapter 24 . 1/24/2016
My priorities are messed up. The most important thing that stayed in my mind from this chapter, is a suggestion that Turians don't have dicks... or at least they are not too big.
Guest chapter 4 . 11/9/2015
Oh for the love of crap! *sigh* did you REALLY need to make each universe exist as fiction in each other's universe, I mean, it just makes everything sooo...unimportant? also stupid, seriously, this vapid decision negatively impacts everything you subsequently do. I'm out.
enji-benjy chapter 26 . 10/16/2015
How din Ki even find the Defiant? It was supposed to stay cloaked.
sigh chapter 4 . 10/11/2015
You just had to go there didn't you? You are a talented writer, you have some skill but instead of doing a proper crossover you wen with crappy but it's a game/book/movie in our universe. Seriously this just ruins everything. Do disappointed . It's bad enough that people constantly try to pull of this "witty" shit with LOTR but now this as well? i give up
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »