Reviews for Defiance
SiouxFan chapter 1 . 11/13/2013
Holy crap, this is really good! Why do I have Chaka Kahn's "I'm every woman" in my head now? Sorry for not reviewing earlier…it's a long story.

Anyway, I should be writing…but I can't seem to get in the mood…so, I'll ask you a question instead: do you think women have to be better than men to get noticed?
TheMostRandomOfRandomWriters chapter 1 . 9/27/2013
I quite like this.
Jill O'Brien chapter 1 . 9/22/2013
Rock on, Sif! Bucking tradition and challenging gender roles isn't for the weak.
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 1 . 9/21/2013
Wow! This was very good!

I like your take on Sif's story throughout her childhood up until when she became a warrior. Her story sounds very sad but very Sif-like as well. I especially liked the repetition of the phrase "she would not cry", as if it is something she repeated to herself over and over in the earlier years as a reminder that she would not be weak...and of course, later on, she no longer had to tell herself not to cry.

Loved how you described when she punched the bully in the nose xD I could see it happening vividly right in front of me.

Her relationship with her father might explain a lot about why she chose this path for herself. Perhaps she felt that since she had lost her mother, she had to be a stronger woman than her mother was so she would not die as well? Or since she had no motherly figure to help her embrace her tender side, and only a rather rough father, she found her passion for being a fighter. Maybe if she had had a mother that would have changed some things...anyway, the dialogue excerpt with her father was very sad. He should have known better than to say that to his own daughter!

Her story just goes to show that there are different ways you can handle torment or people cutting you down. You can let it drag you to the floor until you've given up...you can go into denial or ignore it...or, as if Sid, you can use it as a motivation to prove them wrong and be your own person, and that is exactly what she did.

The ending was powerful and very heartfelt. A most befitting conclusion to this little piece on Sif. I thoroughly enjoyed it! :)
BrightWatcher chapter 1 . 9/18/2013
I like it.

It's very dramatic, and I like it's simplicity.

The emotions are definitely there, not overbearing. I also like that you gave Sif something of a heart rather than just a snob. I emphasize and relate to her.

Good luck with your writer's muse!
lovinthor chapter 1 . 9/18/2013
Great characterization of Sif! I hope you do more! :)
Ardhoniel Marvelite chapter 1 . 9/17/2013
Fantastic! I hope you write more ;)