Reviews for To Be Made Clean
Guest chapter 1 . 5/16/2014
I re-read your story again yesterday (bookmarked it) and it is one of those rare stories one can read over and over again. I was touched by it as if I'd read it for the first time. Bates feelings, his shame, insecurities and embarrassment are so well pointed out: it goes directly into reader's heart and evokes empathy for the man. I hope to read more such stories from you in the future (*encouraging look*. Lovely work. (sorry for the lame review - I did my best to express what I felt)
JamesLuver chapter 1 . 3/4/2014
Wow, you've captured the early UST of series one so well! I simply tore through reading this and didn't want it to end. I always wanted Anna to be more involved with the limp corrector storyline, so it's always good to see it in fanfiction, especially one as good as this.

John's characterisation was spot on, his shame and his desire to shield Anna from himself, and it was particularly heartbreaking when he thought that she might at least be scared away if she saw his leg.

And the UST throughout was just amazing, I really can't say more than that on the matter. John's thoughts and feelings as she was cleaning her leg were simply amazing. It was a really intense moment, and I felt like I was experiencing it along with him.

And of course Anna's steady, unrelenting kindness was just a joy to read, and it was so sweet to read about her taking such care of her man. And I liked the emphasis at the end of her not asking why he'd bought the limp corrector, and John wondering if she knew why.

Seriously, great job!
cherry88 chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
this was sweet and hot. Loved the tension and the touches. I love the beginning of their relationship and how John thinks he's not worth her. He so is!
poma14 chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
I really enjoyed this scene. I like that you involved Anna in the limp corrector story. I always wondered if she knew about it or he ever told her. You have a lot of great imagery. I love the line about how Anna how she could follow his movements and was "his much finer shadow". Such a Bates thought. Very original piece-Great job! :)
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
Loved it! I always wanted to see this. I always wanted Anna to be the one helping John with the limp corrector.
I loved it. You wrote it so well, my friend!
D
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
That was so good. I love the scene when bates shows mrs. Hughes his leg. I love that you chose Anna to clean it. It gave them some beautiful tender moments. She loves him...
Excellent
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
Excellent story! I adore S1 Banna above all else and this story captured a scene that I have always wanted to see!

Some lines I loved:
"After several more protests, she shot him a withering glare that oozed finality and he knew he best not test her further."
This described Mrs. Hughes so well and I could see the look play out in my head.

"The anxiety that had settled in John's stomach immediately jumped into his chest, jolting his heart and encircling his lungs."
I FELT John's anxiety physically with this line, and it added to the tension that was building within the story, first as John worried and agonized over Mrs. Hughes seeing his wounds to the worse case scenario of being vulnerable and bare before Anna.

"He suddenly felt much too warm and was sure his blood had turned sour, as he could nearly feel it curdling beneath his skin."
Wonderful use of words here to explain his growing discomfort and dread.

"She always followed him. She had picked up his gait almost immediately, like no one ever had, and she was always there, his much finer shadow."
I just loved this. I could see them together, moving as one, and it was lovely.

Actually, there are just too many lines to name so I will just say how wonderful it all was, and how I loved when you moved from his fear and anxiety over to a calm and acceptance from him as he saw her empathy and kindness pour over him and soothe all pain away. You have a true gift with the words, my friend.

It was also rather HOT at times, as the touching and the eye contact hinted at their growing love and attraction to one another.

Oh how I wish we had been able to see this with BC/JF onscreen. But at least we now have this written treat, thanks to you, and it shall be my new canon. Yep. It happened.
mr-and-mrs-bates chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
Aww this is all very well done. I especially liked how you described John's apprehension/nervousness about her touching him. And the anxiety as it occurred. You are a phenomenal writer my dear. Great job!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/19/2013
LOVED THIS! I really wish we could have seen something like this on the show. I always wondered what Anna's reaction to that contraption would be, and I like your take on it. This was beautifully written and the your descriptions were amazing! Great job, my friend!