Reviews for Harnessing Starfire
Awesome fic! Spot-on characterization, and I get a kick out of Jim and Pavel's acting.
kuno8 chapter 21 . 3/22
More please!
northpeach chapter 21 . 12/16/2015
"I deliberately mashed your berserk button," was by far the best line in the entire fic in my opinion.
peacelight24 chapter 20 . 11/27/2015
Hello,

I'm a fan of your story, especially the first two chapters, which I think were two great analyses of our two favorite characters. I also like the direction you've taken with this, it's very original, very unique, and it uses parts of the story that don't even show up in the original series. Very nice, and the stuff about Klingons is really fascinating for someone who's only seen the original series and the reboot. Also, I like how you've argued Chekov's characterization-intentional naivete is not something most people would peg him for. Also, you made the most excellent point about all humans speaking Standard from birth, making it hard to believe Chekov actually has as thick an accent as portrayed. And thank you for making Uhura from Kenya. I love that idea for many, many reasons.

Also, you're a fantastic writer. Your style is flawless. I also appreciate the varied perspectives. It makes the story extremely interesting. I didn't even know I'd read sixteen chapters until I looked down and went "well darn. There goes my Arabic test."

My concern is your pacing in terms of relationship development between Kirk and Spock. It goes in very aggressive growth/static periods. I find that sort of unnatural. I was also unprepared for this to turn into Slash (not that I have a problem with slash!), mostly because I feel they have a very strong brother/bond-over-pariah-status relationship, even in your fic. I also just like Uhura/Spock, but that's beside the point.

Here's the other thing. Kirk and Spock started with very rapid growth that's just kind of...ignored...for most of the fic, in the form of the bond. I think it's mentioned all of twice after Spock initially discovers it. Also, you mention that he forgot, which was so out of character that you had Spock call himself out on it, but didn't provide an explanation. Beyond that...the fact that the bond formed is nice, but it formed so inadvertently that it almost didn't mean anything. In terms of value, the bond itself is not the virtue-the effort to establish it is. I know you can get away with more because Vulcan Voodoo, as our favorite Doctor might put it, but this could have been solved so easily. If you'd had Spock go to Jim immediately after discovering the bond-or as soon as he could reasonably do so-then Jim could have said "you know what? Leave it. It might be useful." And then they've both made a choice to have a relationship of some kind. Boom. Bang. Relationship development plus feels. *Feels*, my friend, *feels*.

Alright. I'm going to stop talking now. I really do like your story. Thank you for reading this, and I hope to see a new chapter soon.
Afroz chapter 1 . 11/21/2015
Hope you're still out there and intend to update this. This is the first story I read in this fandom and I'd love it if you continue!
Guest chapter 21 . 7/1/2015
Okay, really? Are you really going to do a slash pairing - OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS - 21 chapters in, with no warning *at all* prior to this?!

Please, PLEASE, say 'no,' because this story is beautifully well-written, more in-character than the movies could even dream of being, and has a unique, interesting plot. I don't want to stop reading this because there's a slash romance, so I am literally *begging* you to say it isn't so, and this is really genfic, with a strong BroTP with Kirk and Spock. Please.

And if it's not, and you're going the to ruin this by choosing the slash route, will you at least give a warning in the summary and/or categories? That way, people who don't read slash aren't blindsided.
tin24634 chapter 21 . 7/3/2015
I liked this chapter especially because of the more personal insight. I think it is great to get to know them on a different level than in your other chapters as they are more political, scientific and more of an explanation of the world you created. This one now comes to the point of relations on the ship - which I find also important and fun. I don't think that you write a slash-fic with Spirk but I wouldn't care - thanks for sharing.
xfphile chapter 21 . 7/2/2015

Guest chapter 21 . 6/30/2015

tanseynz chapter 21 . 7/2/2015
Reread this in its entirety again, and enjoyed it all over again. I love your characterisation, and as you have got further into the story it's become more acute and better focused, looking at covert as well as overt behaviours, which makes the progression even more fascinating.
And your varied herrings, red or otherwise, are making it impossible to predict the main direction this story will take, whether interstellar relationships or the more Enterprise-focused personal ones.
Whichever or both, I can't wait for more.
KsandraMallan chapter 21 . 7/1/2015
Awww, Kirk trying to help Spock through chess. I love it. :)
MuggleCreator chapter 21 . 7/1/2015
I love this.
Especially the blend of different perspectives, particular Uhura and her observations.
Was it just me or was the last bit of the chapter supposed to reference something beyond chess?
stars90 chapter 21 . 7/1/2015
Another great chapter giving us an interesting look at what life is becoming for the crew of the Enterprise
Arthorius chapter 21 . 7/1/2015
Even tough this fic was not listed as a slash M/M fic, am getting the impression from your writing of Spock and Kirk it is going to be a M/M slash fic. Frankly do not like slash, therefore until proven other wise am removing this fic from the alert list and placing you on the block list...

It was a good fic, but it is now ruined with possible slash elements in it...
IvySnowe chapter 21 . 6/30/2015
Sword fighting, relationship bets, and chess. A good relaxing chapter for sure. Thank you!