Reviews for The 4th of May
EndlessRz chapter 1 . 3/16
Amazingly well written. I love how Izaya readily admits that he will let Shizuo love him and marry him if that is what it takes to keep him, but never realized he has unrequited love until the end... So heart breaking
Kittycatkyla chapter 1 . 1/14
Ah-ah-ah-hah... *holding back tears cuz I'm not alone in the room* No, that's-that's not. Ah.
IZAYA!
PrussiaEngel chapter 1 . 12/23/2014
Well, I feel like I got trolled. ?o: Don't even know for some reason I expected Izaya to crash the wedding, but this was waaaaay more effective. I feel as if my feels just got stabbed with a sword or something, I mean owwwie. I feel sorry for Izaya
S.miyuki chapter 1 . 12/15/2014
Hi! I promised a lot of reviews so I figured that I should just start with the earliest one and go up from there

First of all, I found hilarious (in some kind of sarcastic way) the amount of bad luck Izaya seemed to have on his birthday. So it got me curious and I was browsing through a bunch of Japanese's superstitions and found out about the Rokuyo Japanese calendar, which supposedly could tell you which day would be lucky or unlucky... Well its reliability aside (because really it's just a system of random determined state of lucks based on a old chinese lunar calendar)... anyway it got me curious and I decided to calculate it for Izaya... And funny fact, the 4th May 1979 (which would be Izaya's year of birth in the novel according to wiki) is considered to be one of the most unlucky day... So I couldn't help but think "Well, damn Izaya, you never stood a chance ah ah"

So yeah, unrelated and boring facts asides, I really like that oneshot - mostly because I'm a sucker for character studies - and I really find your Izaya IC.

Also I found his logic and his way of 'ranking' the importance of feelings quite interesting even though it's kind of sad. I guess it's his way of copping with basically no one loving him... And that's probably why it hurt so much for him to see Shizuo getting married because it basically forces him realize that his ranking of 1/hating, 2/unrequited love, 3/mutual love, wasn't that true anymore...

Otherwise why would he be so affected by their show of 'mutual love' at the weddings? If he truly believed in what he is saying he wouldn't have thought of that wedding as an "happy endings for Shizuo" nor as an end at all really... Because liked he said, it's ridiculously easy to break a mariage... (though it makes me wonder if Izaya would have reacted as badly if Shizuo hadn't told him that he had forgiven him, then does that means that for him Unrequited Hate would rank 4th ? though if we follow his logic of hate stronger that love, and unrequited stronger than mutual, it should have been 1rst)

Then for the first time Izaya had to experience the pain of 'unrequited love', which he was supposed to be immune to.

And he even entertained the idea of 'hating' Vorona, which really would be kind of counterproductive as it would mean that she would become more important.

So it got me thinking on his ranking: rather than the strength of the feeling isn't that just the feeling that would him hurt less in case of betrayal? hate - unrequited love - mutual love.
Then it would make sense that Shizuo forgiving him and marrying someone else (unrequited hate) would hurt so much therefore ranking 4th.

Well yeah, I don't know if it makes sense or not but that was what I thought when reading it (sorry if it's completely wrong )

Anyway shitty attempts to analyse this wonderful oneshot aside, I really like how it was written and your style is a lot like the one in the novel, it flows quite naturally.

The only 'critisism' I would like to make is that it sounds quite unbelievable that Izaya wouldn't have heard of Shizuo getting married beforehand. But then I think that it was necessary for the angst effect :p
So yeah that's it! Thank you for your great work and sharing it with us!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/10/2014
*crying* h-how could you do this... :'(
krito1389 chapter 1 . 7/2/2014
I loved it! Poor Izaya ... well it is his loss ...
Maru de Kusanagi chapter 1 . 9/25/2013
AAAAAhhhh too much... I felt so much here T-T you picture Izaya perfectly. I loved this
Bloom Flower chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
So very sad. I hope you would continue this even for a short sequel
Shizzy-Shin chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
I... I don't know what to say... It was so sad... So real... I couldn't hold back my tears.
Poor Izzy, nobody remembered his birthday, and for overflow the glass, he had to suffer because of Shizu-chan.

I really desire for a happy ending, although I know that it's not possible. Happy ending? for who? Everyone had a happy ending, everyone except the "villain", because villains don't deserve one.

I loved it... sorry for my bad english, I speak spanish...
See ya
Rasa chapter 1 . 9/24/2013
Wow, this piece is very powerful... It's so interesting to see Izaya go through the stages of grief throughout this story. Not only did you write him very well, but you also wrote the logic behind it all very concisely and believably. I applaud you for that!

I had always wondered how Izaya would react once Shizuo finally let go of his hatred and moved on. I've read many fanfictions concerning this, but I feel that you wrote it best. The other ones didn't have the underlying substance that solidified the story like yours. The emotions are real, the thoughts flowing and narrating are completely in tune with Izaya's character, and all in all?- I have to say that you wrote a heart-wrenching reality that yes, people move on, and when they do, they always leave something...or rather, someone behind.

And what of those that don't get their happy ending? The ones forgotten when all eyes are on the happy couple while the broken hearts shatter with no one to see them break? That sort of pain is sometimes more real and even, in a way, more beautiful than finding love and happiness. You illustrate that very well in this story.

Once again, you made a wonderful piece. Thank you for the read.