Reviews for The Merging
pikachucat chapter 29 . 23h
awesome
efachepis97 chapter 25 . 23h
I always find the discussion of magic vs muggle fascinating and enjoy fics that tackle the question, in particular the question if muggleborn would/should decide to continue their life in either the magical or muggle world after their education.
on the question of a magic muggle war my opinion drifts towards the more 'physical' solution that would lead to a muggle victory. my thought process is this: Magic exists in the same system in which the rules of physics exist also. true, magic is capable of counteracting the rules of the natural world. the question is, however, to what extent magic can resist physics and chemistry. In JKR's world I have gotten the impression that magic's scope in this regard is limited to the ability of its 'wielder' (eg. magic won't automatically protect magical entities). wizards will die of an unforeseen bullets and explosions the same as muggles. it also seems unlikely that magical wards could withstand the unrelenting barrage of artillery or other explosive weaponry. all in all i believe the muggle world would wear the magical world down.
What i find particularly interesting is where muggleborns would decide to live their life following graduation. remaining in the magical world presents them with significant drawbacks, after all. First off, an unavoidable estrangement with their family. secondly (at least for muggleborns born in a democracy) a reduced status as a second class citizen (is the Wizengamot a representative body or does it contain hereditary seats? no taxation without representation, after all. what are your job prospects if you have no 'vitamin b'? etc.). you get instant transportation, but instant communication is still only part of the muggle world. also, it seems far more difficult to access any useful information in the magical word than in the muggle. also, you resign yourself to a life within a smaller, closed society, rather than becoming anything like a world citizen. Anyway, food for thought.
animusand chapter 18 . 11/24
I know this is suuuper late, but Dumbledore would never say, "fast forward", a term referring to recording media of modern times. Jump or skip could possibly be a better alternative.

I like this gradually developing super-powered Harry. Nice job so far.
This would've been so much better had you never finished it
Congrats chapter 29 . 11/23
In true Rowling form you ruined it in the end
animusand chapter 5 . 11/22
I dunno why but that brick joke had me in stitches.
miguel.puentedejesus chapter 21 . 11/20
miguel.puentedejesus chapter 19 . 11/19
Fantástico!
Perfecto
nomdemprunt chapter 28 . 11/19
Me again. I just remembered something I forgot to cover that I absolutely wanted to. Had to go back a chapter because FFN won't let me comment twice on the same chapter.

Arthur. Arthur. ARTHUR! Oh my God, what an absolutely brilliant twist, I honestly never saw it coming despite having wondered on multiple occasions how Nagini's destruction worked given what we know about horcruxes. I was completely blindsided and it was glorious! Bravo!
nomdemprunt chapter 29 . 11/19
I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed this story. I even broke one of my own rules over it. I never, ever, ever ever ever recommend a story I haven't finished reading to anyone. This one broke through my last hesitation at around chapter 16.

What fascinates me most about this story is that it borrows heavily from well established tropes, and yet thanks to the care and attention you've given them, they don't feel tired or cliche in the least. You've managed to adopt a number of the more absurd tropes and give them a plausibility that they almost never achieve. One particular standout among these is the trunk apartment; when I've encountered this particular trope in the past it is, almost without exception, utilized in such a way as to give Harry, on his first shopping trip no less, implausible advantages such as a limitless personal library compartment replete with an automatically updating master index book that can find any text containing a given topic at the drop of a hat or a massive suite of rooms in which to house his inner circle and/or harem. Furthermore, rather than being an expensive but not unheard of offering from trunk manufacturers, you gave credibility to the whole concept and showed Harry reasoning his way through the possibility of creating such a thing before contracting a trunk maker for a one-off commission. It wasn't dressed up in any way, no ridiculous dueling arenas, time dilation devices, state-of-the-art potion labs, or anything similarly requiring a suspension of disbelief.

I also enjoyed the way you integrated portions of relatively unexplored (in canon) lore into the tale, especially when you roped in Merlin as a villain (though apparently not *the* villain) and established an overarching 'cosmic struggle' plot device utilizing him, Nicholas, Perenelle, Morgan Le Day, and am unknown 'big bad' (unless it is meant to imply that Merlin himself is big bad and the version encountered in Hogwarts is simply a shade?) behind the curtain which just begs to be sequel fodder. Of course, this is also the source of my biggest disappointments. First, I'm not sure that I will ever be able to forgive you for instilling the mental vision of Bill Clinton being a cover identity for Nicholas Flamel with Perenelle correspondingly being Hillary. :P Second, of course, is that your author's note seems to indicate that there won't be an epic sequel for me to look forward to, which is a damn shame because you're a fantastic author.

All half joking complaints aside, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for sharing this masterpiece with us. I cannot honestly say that I've enjoyed reading a story, particularly one of this length, in quite some time. Many authors seem to encounter similar struggles to your own with regard to constraints on their time and their stories often suffer for it, having haphazardly thrown together and rushed endings tacked on to what started as deep and engaging epic sagas. I admire your resolve and the respect you had for the integrity of your story not allowing yourself to fall into this trap despite what I'm sure was a raging torrent of reviews and messages begging for updates as the years dragged on. This story will be taking up residence as a member of my permanent collection of favorite stories. Thank you for sticking with it through the challenges life placed in front of you, and congratulations on your marriage and newfound parenthood.
miguel.puentedejesus chapter 18 . 11/19
miguel.puentedejesus chapter 15 . 11/19
Encantador.
De Verdad Maravilloso
miguel.puentedejesus chapter 14 . 11/19
Fu#K! Fu#K! Fu#K! Fu#K! Fu#K!
Perfecto!