Reviews for Sessions with Team Avatar
KaliAnn chapter 8 . 10/17/2013
This chapter was very good because you showed us the level of frustration Mako has right now and the concern his collegues have for him.
James Magnus chapter 8 . 10/17/2013
Again, great update, and unexpected at that. I usually don't crank out more than two chapters a month, if I'm lucky, yet you've gotten it done and October isn't even over yet! Very impressive, if I do say so myself.

Great work at the beginning there with the wall-punch. I like that not only do we get to see Dr. Minghua as a psychologist, but as a medical doctor as well. And apparently, he's no slouch in either field of practice. Good to know, especially given his job description as a part of Republic City's finest. Not only that, but it's nice to see someone subvert the idea that you can punch a wall THAT HARD without debilitating consequences like dislocated knuckles or broken bones. No children, that's not how physics/biology works, that's just not how it works (lol :P).

Another good part of this chapter was getting more of a glimpse into Dr. Minghua as a character, thus making him more interesting for your readers. Restrained, passionate about his work, professional, collected, a bit of a "neat-freak" (if you'll pardon the derogative implications of that term), empathetic towards others- within reason- and possessing a strong sense of justice. His bits of sarcastic banter with Mako, though spaced evenly throughout the chapter, give him another good personality quirk that will be fun to see utilized as the story progresses.

Its good that, while he cannot treat Mako, that Minghua is still looking out for his best interests, as is Lin. The last episode was a real strain on everyone, so it's understandable that they're going to a bit more edgy and prone to impulsive actions. That being said, having people to remind them of their responsibilities and to look after them is a good thing, and definitely something friends and co-workers who care about one another would do following a situation like this. I hope that Dr. Muun will be able to help Mako sort things out in the aftermath of "The Sting."

Which brings me to the next intriguing plot twist of this update, being that of Varrick's involvement. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting this to begin with, but now that it's been revealed, it all makes perfect sense. That slippery, conniving, slimy little weasel, so this is how he was able to slide under everyone's radar! I knew that little mustachioed cretin was up to no good, and this is how he got away with it time and again! Perverting a science designed to help others and keep them safe like that is just, just unforgivable! But now, oh-ho-ho-ho-ho, now he's gonna get it (rubs hands in scheming manner). It might not be now, it might not being in the next few chapters, but he's going to answer for what he's done.

As you can see, this was truly an enjoyable update, and with this new angle for your story to work on whilst the rest of Team Avatar is sorting through their issues, future updates can only get all the more exciting and intriguing as they appear. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to read what happens next. Now that Mako's getting a new psychiatrist, I wonder if the next chapter will be his Third Session, or if someone else from Team Avatar will be up for a turn in the chair. I guess we'll have to wait to see when the time comes. Until then, however, stay safe out there, stay awesome, and keep up the amazing work, my friend.

James Magnus chapter 7 . 10/16/2013
Another great update, glad to see things progressing well here.

I like that you've made Bolin at least aware of the fact that he screwed up in how he handled the situation with Mako, it shows that while he is justified in his feelings like he's always in his brother's shadow, he does still recognize when he's stepped over the line and feels bad about it. Of course, I would've expected something like that, regardless of the fact that his sudden stardom is going to his head a bit. Bolin never really seemed the type to let fame influence him too much, or make him forget the people who really matter in life.

Dr. Qin is splendid as always, ever the insightful psychologist, eager to help his patient understand what they're going through and advise them on how to approach the situation. The note-taking moment seems like something to keep an eye out for in future interviews, as some of the things they've talked about might be called upon should the situation require it. I don't remember if Dr. Qin has been doing this throughout his sessions with Bolin, but I'm sure he jotted down what he could remember following their talks, if not during them.

Bolin's flippant brush-off of the situation with Eska seems... Odd, but not completely understandable. He's had a lot on his mind lately, and the issue with the "psycho ex" probably hasn't crossed his mind for very long.

Returning to Dr. Qin for a second, one of my favorite scenes in this story was the beginning where Bolin bearhugs him while his wife smirks in amusement at his discomfort. This adds a little more character to their relationship and how they interact with one another, and I for one like to see them developing like this. Another good moment here was the scenes where Bolin is trying to explain "Movers" to Dr. Qin, something I can see as being a real conversation in the world of Avatar. Given that Verrick's invention is fairly knew, it's understandable that a lot of people, especially mid-low class, have yet to hear about "Movers" and that the concept in and of itself is more than a bit confusing. However, this works well for your story and your characters, and feels really believable for that world, especially since we probably had similar reactions when movies came out in our reality as well!

"Moving plays, HA! Yeah, that's rich. Next thing you know, they're gonna put a man on the moon. That'll be the day!" (lol :-P).

All in all, another great installment for this story. Keep up the good work, I look forward to reading the next session with earnest. I wonder who's up for a turn in the chair next time around... Oh well, not knowing is half the adventure, right?! Until then, stay safe out there, stay awesome, and keep up the great work!

- James.

(P.S. To the other reviewers- Come one guys, at least try and say more than two words about what you liked about the story. That can't really be all you have to say in the wake of reading something you thought was good, can it? :-P)
KaliAnn chapter 7 . 10/16/2013
Fantastic session
KingDom Guy chapter 7 . 10/15/2013
Hey maybe you could try a chapter about Korra's problems too! I mean she goes around threatening to kill judges and she's only 17 i think! She's a bit unstable too don't you think?
James Magnus chapter 6 . 10/14/2013
Excellent! You sir, have a new reader and follower :D. Please tell me you're planning on writing more of these! I loved these first six sessions, and I can't wait to read more of them.

The fourth was especially great to read, even if it was a bit awkward at times, but I liked how you managed to delve into Eska's personality in such a raw and organic way that gave us a better look at the girl behind the mask. If possible, I feel like she might benefit from another session with Dr. Qin or his wife. There's a lot going on in that head of hers, a lot of painful and debilitating memories and pent-up emotions that need to be addressed and sorted out before the healing can really begin. If not, what happened between her and Bolin could happen all over again, or worse. Maybe another couples session could help as well, delve into what both she and Bolin were looking for in pursuing a relationship with one another in the first place. I get the feeling that there is more to both their motivations than either one knew at the time, and it would be interesting to see how that all played out if you decided to have another session with them in the future.

The last two sessions were also enjoyable, especially Dr. Minghua's demenor at the beginning of Mako's session. It seemed a lot like those of the cliched psychologists and internal affairs guys you see on crime shows and what not, but then you got him to have a longer, more meaningful dialogue with Mako. That made him into more of a likable character, and it also helped Mako sort through some things he's probably been dealing with after joining the department.

Lin's session was enjoyable as well, especially since it addressed some issues I was certain she would be dealing with after being de-bended by Amon and then getting her powers back from Korra. As I assumed, trauma tends to linger, and so does guilt, in Lin's case, over the Triads who weren't allowed the same grace and forgiveness she was and were denied the return of their powers. She's right, the older generation probably doesn't need their powers back, because they'd simply return to their life of crime. But the younger, the kids who were dragged into "the life" because that's all they knew or the only option they had to survive or make their way in life? They deserve a second chance to do the right thing and make something positive of themselves, and I commend her for fighting to see that they get it.

Long story short, this is a great story, and I can't wait to read more. Keep an eye out for spelling errors in your next update- there were a couple here that were noticeable, but they did not retract from the effectiveness of your writing and the overall enjoyment of the story. I hope that all is well on your end of things, and I will look forward to another insightful session in the future. Until then, stay safe out there, stay awesome, and keep up the amazing work, my friend!

KaliAnn chapter 6 . 10/6/2013
Good session
KaliAnn chapter 5 . 10/6/2013
Mako is interesting
KaliAnn chapter 4 . 10/6/2013
Well that was awkward to say the least
KaliAnn chapter 3 . 10/6/2013
Amazing how insightful you can be.
KaliAnn chapter 2 . 10/6/2013
Nice session. I really liked it.
Snitchstar chapter 6 . 9/28/2013
I love this story!
Iron-Mantis chapter 1 . 9/28/2013
pretty good, now do how bolin feels about his crazy ex.
Guest chapter 1 . 9/28/2013
Very interesting idea for a fic. Poor Bolin will certainly need therapy after all the misery Eska's put him through.