Reviews for A King's Crossing
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 12 . 6/18/2014
Well I certainly wasn't expecting a Berserk cameo when I clicked on the link sent to me in the alert email that took me to a new update. It makes sense in the context, and that's the purpose of making references in the first place (I.E. picking people's recognition so as to trigger reactions and feelings and etc., etc.).

Additionally, this chapter goes to show just how messed up Suzaku is and how that affected his surroundings/vice-versa. Not to say that basically everyone in King's Crossing isn't insane to a degree, but since Suzaku is on of the viewpoint characters and his issues with societal change have been carried over from canon to here, his - shall we say - "problems" stick out like a sore thumb more than others.

Seems as if the shit's going to be hitting the proverbial fan, in both the long and short term. With *something* going on in the homeland and Xenolith's impending "example-making" sure to bear some kind of fruits.

Also, I feel incredibly silly for not noticing the significance of King's Crossing *not* using the A.T.B. calendar until now. I have no idea what the implications are of it, but I know in my gut that it must mean something.

Keep on trucking. You know as well as I that I am dying to see more.
Fireminer chapter 12 . 6/18/2014
Suzaku reminded me of a Ronin.

And his question had already has the answer in it: Like Marx said, "Revolution is to establish the dictatorship of one class to the rest of society".
Fireminer chapter 11 . 6/15/2014
Covered the basic system of Brittannia.

Oh, but you forgot that there might be the case of lesser sons of noble houses migrate to the Area or join the army (like with the Empire).

And there are more Knight of Round: Nonnette, Monica, Dorothea, former like Michele and Andrea. As well as more prince and princess. And to think that Charles would give more than one area to his children.
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 10 . 5/11/2014
"You thought the heroine was going to be Shirley, but it was I, C.C!"

So it seems. Maybe. Who knows. I expect nothing less than secrets nestled in secrets from this. I strongly suspect that nothing really is as it seems on the surface.
Fireminer chapter 10 . 5/10/2014
Less rose, more blood. At least they are both crimson, right?

A good chapter. The appearance of Leila and Akito could be the sign to a lot of things. But what should I expect next? Lelouch/Akito vs. Suzaku/Rai, just before Orpheaus jumps in and wipes the floor with them?
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 9 . 3/8/2014
Incidentally, I think that this might be the first update in which Suzaku is the point-of-view character for the entirety. Lots of developments in this chapter, which will no doubt have a far-reaching bearing on the story to come.

It seems that "Nothing is as seems" and, to a lesser degree, "The more things change the less things change" are the central themes of this chapter. Take Euphemia, for example. Still she is an important royal figure in the Japanese area (which I just realized while reading this update that it's name wasn't changed to an Area designation, curiously enough - presumably because it lost so much value as a territory during the war that), but here she evidently possesses her own ambitions or an agenda she desires to fulfill, which I imagine will have lasting repercussions on Japanese society as consequences in the near future, alike yet different with what happens to canon Euphemia's own plans for Area 11.

I find myself oddly supportive of Xenolith. I mean, him being an unpredictably unhinged psychopath. I've a soft spot for nutcases, especially with what makes them tick and how they came to be. I'm sure you'll let us in more on his story when the time comes, and for that I can't wait.

The twists in this chapter were pulled off marvelously, job well done on playing with expectations and then subverting them cruelly. The reveals, especially near the end, (by the by, Geass sigils everywhere re: the Scarecrows, that surely means something) were harsh, and reminiscent of your earlier When They Cry works. It really hit home that while Lelouch and Zero are off having their own problems, Suzaku's life is going to get a lot more interesting and dangerous as well. Our characters are going to have their resolve tested and put through wringers both physical and emotional, and I'll continue to stick around for that ride.

Chapter title is especially apropos this go-round. On the nose with regards towards Suzaku's stance as part of the Britannian government, and at the same time begs the question if and for how long he'll be able to keep that resolve, with Xenolith's new "tough on crime" policy about to be put into full force. Also, the objectively second best arc in JoJo's, behind SBR, naturally, the main character of which is also arguably on of the best protagonists in the series.

PS. Nipah *wink wink nudge nudge tip of the hat*.
Fireminer chapter 9 . 3/2/2014
Damn! That is some unexpected development. The flow is well-controlled. Good!

So you're going to switch back and forth between Lelouch and Suzaku?
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 8 . 2/9/2014
Chapter 8: In which we are privy to further confirmation that Lelouch and Nunner's pasts sucked immensely, Zero and Lelouch have their breakout pilot episode as a buddy duo, Lelouch gets his signature hat back, and Zero's disguise likely involves some form of voice changing technology because unless typical male denseness for the opposite sex is in play to a degree here Lelouch comes to the realization that Zero is a woman.

My gut's telling me that maybe Zero actually is Shirley, but I'm not of the right mind right now to go back and look for evidence to support this. Though the character tags might be a bit of a subconscious giveaway to me. Which has me wondering if C.C. will ever make an appearance in King's Crossing.

I was further amused by how the title was a not particularly subtle Hendrix/JoJo reference.
TykkiMikk chapter 8 . 2/6/2014
LOL nothing says uncomfortable and weirded out and out done than finding out you have been done over by a woman for many years and feeling like shit lol
Fireminer chapter 8 . 2/6/2014
So, the little cat finally shows its fangs, huh?

You know, the first part kind of remind me about War and Peace. Nice job with that!

But they still use AK47, C3 and calling as Stalingard? This world much be less modern than I though.
Fireminer chapter 7 . 1/12/2014
It's not everyday that you see such a great story like this. Splendid work so far! Hope you could expand this AU even more than the original!

Oh, and 96 Emperors in 2, 2-and-a-half-Century - Quite a bloody record, don't you think so? I want to see the internal of Brittannia, too.
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 7 . 12/31/2013
Thus, Disclosed Information II gives us a much needed history lesson of a glimpse into KC's backstory. It also adds context, which is a perk.
READ THIS FIC chapter 1 . 12/28/2013
This is a very well written story because its written by one of the few good writers on these forums. The plot is dark and the characters have to struggle in a dystopian society filled with despair. The protagonist Lelouch is some how improved upon in this story even though the anime did a pretty good job save for R2. There is plenty of original content and as well as plots twists secrets that will keep you guessing as you read. This is another great work by The Messenger Crow and if you haven't been keeping up with his other works then you need serious halp.
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 6 . 12/21/2013
So according to chapter 6 when Lelouch and Suzaku first met Lelouch took a STAND against him?

Hahahehehe...I'll...just see myself out now, shouldn't I? Or at least I would if I didn't have the rest of the chapter to review. Considering that I know next to nothing about Rai's canon characterization I suppose that gives you as much free reign as you like to give the guy some actual personality, which I imagine he has little of in the Geass visual novel because of the proliferation of faceless blank slate protagonists in the medium.

Looks like I don't have much to say about this one this time. Except maybe that it was a nice touch of self-awareness of ANIME HAIR COLORS DISCONNECT IN THE WRITTEN FORM (which I myself have been numbed to through years of weeb-exposure and thus have no problem with) when he description brought up her purple dyed hair. Sure, it's purple like in canon, but it is that way because it's been dyed.

As for the reference watch, I spotted a BlazBlue and a Chrono series. Any others slipped me.
ItsaRandomUsername chapter 4 . 11/17/2013
A metafictional approach? Well, happy birthday to me, I reckon. As if I didn't already have enough reasons to look forward to the upcoming chapters. It's always nice to know that the author of anything has a given plan in mind for whatever it is they're writing, as opposed to too frequent method of pulling crap out their ass and rolling with it from there.
39 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »