Reviews for The Bitter End
Deus Ferae chapter 1 . 3/16
The "super powerfull techniques which shortens users lifespan" is such a common trope in anime/manga, but we almost never see the actual consequences of them. This is a really great look at them.
ProtagonistAlert chapter 1 . 1/1
This is beautiful. You take what the show portrays as Nanoha's key strength- relentless persistence and eternal drive to prove herself- and examine it from a realistic lens. That in the end pushing yourself that hard does have real life consequences; consequences that could easily be painful to the people you love. The story doesn't feel pointlessly dark or hopelessly tragic per se- it just feels like the sad consequences of Nanoha's behavior. The true tragedy is that there's nobody to really blame. It's just something that simply IS, and there is nothing for anybody to do about it.

I'm not sure what to say about this story, honestly. Everything works. You hit everybody's personalities more or less perfectly, making for some fantastic emotional confrontations- the Fate and Vivio exchange was just gold- and really hitting the reader where it hurts- by drawing out the emotions of the characters so effectively, characters we've grown to like and identify with, you manage to draw out our emotions too.

The story is quite effectively paced- not too short that emotional isn't drawn out, but quick and to the point. It builds itself around a flawless canonical foundation and simply goes uphill from there, in way that should be commended.

I wish there was more to say about this story, like to express my appreciation for it I wish I could write a thesis on everything that it does right, but I'm not going to try. And instead simply say- nice work.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/6/2014
Wow.
Sort of a bittersweet end to the story. So glad Nanoha didn't die yet.
She deserves a warrior's death! T_T
HotaruSama00 chapter 1 . 6/21/2014
That was heartbreaking. But I could easily see it happening with how Nanoha tends to overwork herself.
Sailor Pandabear chapter 1 . 5/24/2014
sad
Crow667 chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
damn,gonna need a LOT of ice cream to swallow this. thanks for depressing me(no. i know this is reality and i like it...still it makes me uncomfortable and i try not to think about things like these too much) keep up the good workd...or something
Star Shatterer chapter 1 . 12/18/2013
I am trying so hard not to cry right now, holy crap I wasn't expecting to feel like this after finishing "Game Theory" and "Teatime", Christ the mood shift I get here from "Teatime" alone makes this even sadder considering how good I was feeling after that. Seriously good stuff here, needs a warning on it. "Warning: Sad enough to make grown men tear up." Really good job with this.
Manic Dogma chapter 1 . 11/29/2013
...*sniff*...

...That was beautiful. Bitter, but beautiful.
Unidentified chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
This explains the subtext in Game Theory. Also, aww.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/17/2013
Man, right in the feels.

If that was what you were aiming for, you hit the mark.
ByLanternLight chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
5/5. Make me cry why don't you? :)
Rubel chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
That is incredible. Sorry words escape me right now. I do greatly admire Nanoha for still trying to look out for her loved ones even in that situation.
kinglugia chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
A beautiful yet sad story. I...love this. And I must cry.
Mistletainn chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
MGLN is supposed to be about friendship and beam-spam... Not...not this...*sobs*
*run away*
Feng Lengshun chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
Beautiful. I always knew that the price for her heroic deeds will always come sooner or later. All true heroes, those who selflessly helps others, will always pay the price for the lives they saved with one of their own. It's sad, and seemed unfair, but they would always accept it, with wisdom that came from saving countless people in their whole life. It is sad for Nanoha to be dying, but it's just the price that she had to pay, but she could accept it.

"It just means... no more flying."

Those few words really had a much deeper meaning when you know how she had been. I love this story, and despite the rather tragic end for the Ace of Aces, she at least would have the end that she hopefully deserves (not like Archer at least). In any case, a beautiful story, good job in writing it. If it's not too much for you, can you make a second chapter for her funeral sort of like Batman in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? ?