Reviews for In Winter
Guest chapter 2 . 12/18/2013
Love the part about "calling out" the prim and proper grandma! The fact that he ended up with such a great family to be with in his old age is a delight. Of course, like everyone else, all I can really think about is, where's Heyes? The fact that it's been so many years and Kid is still thinking about him everyday in some small way or other, makes me wonder why he hasn't gone and hunted him down.
Here's hoping that Heyes will show up and spend some golden years with his old friend!
InsideOutlaw chapter 2 . 12/18/2013
What a warm, cozy picture of domestic life. Only the Kid doesn't sound completely domesticated and seems to be longing for the west. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this. Very well done.
Javabee1 chapter 2 . 12/18/2013
Wonderful. Love this : "You let me take care of her. If I have to, I will call her out."
I am so glad he has such a great family to spend his old age with. Beautiful grandkids and an attentive daughter. Now if only his old partner would walk back into his life, that life long regret of losing a friend could be resolved and they could spend a few golden years together. I know that not all stories have a happy ending, but maybe this one could. Don't make me beg. )
Helen West chapter 2 . 12/17/2013
This is beautiful and sad. I, too, am wondering what happened in the years in between and where Heyes is. So you have a bunch of us hooked! I'm wondering - is the gap between the series and this story about 40 years? A familiar and painful gap.
HW
laf1024 chapter 2 . 12/17/2013
I am so glad that you continued this story it is really one of the best. And I for one don't really care for Mrs. O'Connor's attitude and we haven't even met her yet but I was glad to see as well as Kid was that his daughter wasn't afraid to speak her mind to her mother- in - law. Hopefully we can see a chapter 3 soon, I really hope.
LittleBluestem chapter 1 . 12/16/2013
Sweet interactions between Grampa Kid and the children. Your ear for dialogue is very true. Sad that he and Heyes "broke up"... I hope we find out what happened to him...
sistergrace2 chapter 1 . 10/11/2013
This is a very cozy story, filled with warm feelings. Like Kid, I wonder about Heyes, where he is, and how he is, if they'll see each other again. I'm also wondering if this might be part of a series of stories, where we'll find out more about Curry's family and how he wound up in Michigan. Enjoyed this very much.
Friscogirl chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
This is so bittersweet, having Kid surrounded by a loving family...but where is poor Heyes? What kind of terrible argument could have separated the, for so long? How sad to lose the years he could have enjoyed with his best friend...
Penski chapter 1 . 10/4/2013
What a sweet and bittersweet little story! I love the thought of the Kid having the opportunity to settle down and have children and grandchildren. Reminded me of wonderful memories with my own grandpa. My sister used to sleep with grandpa, not me. Curious why Michigan - so different than the West he knew and loved. How very sad about Heyes and Curry arguing and permanently separating. Love this line - "It's okay to fight sometimes. Just don't stay mad, okay? That's how you lose friends, and good friends are special. You don't get too many of them."
Lana Coombe chapter 1 . 10/3/2013
Having a 12 year old who keeps sneaking into my bed at the moment I have every sympathy with Grandpa! Lovely glimpse into Kid's future but you left so many answered questions!
Nora Winters chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
I do like this bittersweet tale. You create a very visual, realistic, sweet image of a doting grandfather and his two little granddaughters. Also nice to see that the Kid is settled with a loving family. But still it's a bitter tale because the amnesty never came, I assume, and he has split with Heyes. I like the regrets underlying his peaceful life - both of the split with his long-time friend, but also found in his comment to his daughter that it is not always a good thing to have a reputation, especially out west. All round a good read.
laf1024 chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
Great rememberance story. Loved in the beginning how Kid must have been dreaming of the Devil's Hole days as he was thinking of Wyoming and thought it was Heyes in bed with him when Heyes had his own room. But it was good to see Kid had a good life for him a loving Daughter and two granddaughters devoted to him. The only really sad part was hearing that he and Heyes don't speak to each other anymore; they should resolve their issues especially if they don't even remember what they got mad at each other about cause like Kid told his granddaughter " Good friends are special". And now that they are older it is best to do it before it gets too late and you never get to tell the person I'm sorry. Wonderful tale, very moving.
177 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12