Reviews for In Winter
Nell McKeon chapter 18 . 4/6/2018
There is so much I love about this story and each eagerly awaited chapter reinforces my admiration. The characters are well drawn and multidimensional. There is a sense of time and place coming through you prose (BTW- what a lovely description of the dining room and props to the comments on Theodore Roosevelt)

There is so much to praise but what I find the most fascinating is your portrayal of a mature KC/TJ, how the circumstances of life has shaped the man. I appreciate how others perceive Thaddeus Jones as a man with "presence" like warm/friendly wrapped blue steel (and Heyes would be sort of smooth aged-whiskey-colored satin covered steel). Of course, you knew that the singing of "Simple Gifts" would tug the heart strings and it did.

LOL the apple cider. There are two local cideries around me that make excellent varieties of hard and soft ciders, some of which are deceptively quite strong. I can imagine the elder O'Connors the next morning and approve of Chris' plan to deal with them.
sistergrace2 chapter 18 . 4/8/2018
This chapter was a pleasure to read. Love Thaddeus' cocky, confident grin. So easy to visualize. I found myself giggling when Thaddeus considered taking his Colt to Christmas dinner with him. And it's good to know that even as a Grandpa, Thaddeus indulges in a little mischief-allowing the in-laws to unwittingly partake in the "tart" cider. The lines for each of your characters are so well thought out. It is evident that you know them inside out. I found myself almost leaning forward in my seat along with Adam and Dan, anxious to hear whatever stories Thaddeus might choose to reveal. More wonderful lines too. Excellent!
Nell McKeon chapter 18 . 4/8/2018
I've written a comment on this chapter but it seemed to have disappeared into the ether. Each new chapter reinforces my admiration for this story and are well worth the wait. You really tugged the heartstrings with the singing of "Simple Gifts".
NebraskaWildfire chapter 18 . 4/6/2018
I was very happy to see another chapter. This story is such a beautiful oasis in today’s world. No matter how gracious Adelaide had been, she’s still Adelaide, worrying about appearances. I loved Thaddeus holding court at Christmas dinner, to make certain they all had a wonderful meal. I have my own story about an adult accidentally drinking hard cider on a Girl Scout trip, which would have resulted in as much disapproval as Adelaide herself could have come up with, if it had become known. The poor students, every time Mr. Jones almost lets out a story of his past, they are interrupted. Closing this chapter with Simple Gifts was beautiful and touching. It shows Thaddeus’ happiness with this family, but still evokes Heyes singing it. You weave such a perfect picture of Thaddeus sitting with the girls, singing that song.
Guest chapter 18 . 4/5/2018
Thank you for this great chapter! Are we close to learning if Spencer knows what happened to Heyes? Can' wait. Great story!
1gin6 chapter 18 . 4/5/2018
I am SO GLAD that you hit the "add another chapter" key. I am SO GLAD that it was a really long chapter. And I am SO GLAD that Thaddeus doesn't let Terrence and Adelaide get away with their comments trying to make him seem not as good as they see themselves. When you have love, china and crystal are not that important. Looking forward to tomorrow and the picking up of Reverend Spencer.
Sue Pokorny chapter 18 . 4/5/2018
Very excited to see a new chapter. Im captivated by your characterizations. Everyone is so vivid and real. Looking forward to what you have planned. Could this Rev Spencer be someone familiar? Cant wait to find out!

Sue
Guest chapter 17 . 1/6/2018
Okay, how about our holiday miracle and post chapter 18?

It's the season and I just reread this wonderful story and wound up with tears in my eyes. I hoping you'll continue it since it is in winter.
Linda chapter 17 . 11/6/2017
Hope it's getting close to the next chapter think there are a few of us eagerly waiting.
JoAnnB chapter 17 . 9/25/2017
Loved these last two chapters. The little details and interactions of the characters really gives it layers of richness. Now there is another sub plot with Christine. I enjoyed Annie and Kathleen's conversation, and always love Thaddeus' conversations with either of his granddaughters.

I was enjoyed finding out why Heyes and the Kid split up-I guessed a big argument, fight over Kid wanting to settle down (since he did get married) or some other big disagreement. But the simple answer was perfect. How could they possibly go around asking "have you seen Hannibal Heyes or Kid Curry?" It's not like they could take out a classified ad. Getting delayed and snowed in made perfect sense.

I usually like stories with a lot of action but this one with all of its subtle family drama has really kept my attention-even through the long waits (hint, make them shorter?)

I can't wait for the next installment!
Guest chapter 17 . 8/19/2017
I love this chapter 3
1gin6 chapter 17 . 8/18/2017
A wonderful chapter, full of love. I Knew Christine was expecting in the last chapter. When will she tell the family? There is a lot going on in this story. Looking forward to the next chapter.
NebraskaWildfire chapter 17 . 8/18/2017
Such a lovely chapter. Thank you. I will be praying with Annie.
Jessie May Stone chapter 17 . 8/17/2017
Really glad to see this updated Rosie Annie. Loved both new chapters, especially the descriptions of the Christmas gifts. I was also able to pick up on the fact that Chris was pregnant right away, but I loved how you revealed it to the reader. Hope to see more chapters here soon, and I hope that one of them will answer the burning questions I have about Heyes' fate.
sistergrace2 chapter 17 . 8/17/2017
Lump in my throat, tears in my eyes. I think this is my favorite chapter so far.
177 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »