Reviews for In Winter
sistergrace2 chapter 16 . 8/17/2017
Some really wonderful lines in this, RosieAnnie. Some of my favorites were the ones about the "completely modern" Wrigley Field and the Cubs being due to win another World Series soon. Also liked some of the conversation reminiscent of the television series - "Before Breakfast?" and "have a little faith." Another warm chapter. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to Rev. Spencer's visit and also finding out where Heyes went, and why he would never be there again.
Nell McKeon chapter 17 . 8/17/2017
Thank you for the early Christmas present of a chapter posted quickly.

That Chris was pregnant was signaled but her unhappiness as a result was a little twist. I can assure her that a piece of paper doesn't make someone intelligent. Believe me I have an advanced degree and work in health care and I've dealt with a lot of stupid doctors over the years. Another family member is a professors in STEM at a university, same deal there - there is all kinds of stupid no matter how many letters are behind a name.

The other Mrs O'Connor is becoming a little more sympathetic and humanized, that's a good sign at least for family harmony.

LOL, Thaddeus retained Kid Curry's reflexes and habit, at least when having bad dreams. And it was more than a bad dream if it reflected the reality of the tragic parting of a partnership. One little thought though, it requires a small suspension of disbelief that despite falling head over heals in love Kid wouldn't still try to locate Heyes or visa versa, if for no other reason to make sure the other was alright. I'm praying a miracle happens!
Poppydot chapter 17 . 8/17/2017
I am really enjoying this story and the relationships between Thaddeus and his family and the in laws. I was always a little perturbed that Kid and Heyes had gone separate ways as described in Chapter Eight after an argument and a drag down, knock out fight so I am happier now to read that it was just a case of splitting up due to a posse followed by a winter storm ( and falling in love ). I am looking forward to the next Chapter and the arrival of the Reverend
Keays chapter 17 . 8/17/2017
Interesting. I think we all figured that Chris was pregnant, but her not wanting the baby does put a wrinkle in things. Are are there problems with the pregnancy brewing in the future?

So, it was as simple as that, eh? Separating to avoid capture, and then losing track of one another? I'd often thought about this possibility. They get going to opposite directions, anything can happen, and it's not like they can phone one another. But still, a mystery. If Heyes had been captured or killed by the posse, it would have been in the news, yet Jed hasn't heard anything about or from him. Gee, maybe he found a wife and settled down too.

Jed's wife must have been one amazing woman though, for Jed to forsake Heyes in order to be with her.
Guest chapter 16 . 8/16/2017
Cannot wait for more, more, more!
Sue Pokorny chapter 16 . 8/9/2017
Glad to see you sticking with this. It's such an interesting take on a beloved character. All the characters just pop off the screen. This was so charming, but I'm afraid Kid's happiness is going to be threatened. Looking forward to more!

Sue
Lana Coombe chapter 16 . 8/8/2017
Loved this line: 'They'd probably tell him that the pen was mightier than the sword, buthe figured a well-maintained shooting iron was the mightiest of all. He didn't think he'd mention that fact right at this minute, though.'
So want to know what happened to Heyes!
Great story telling.
Helen West chapter 16 . 7/29/2017
Wow, I'm so glad to have the story going forward again. It's Christmas morning for your Readers! I can't just see the faces and hear the voices, the way you write.
Nell McKeon chapter 16 . 7/30/2017
I'm so glad you're continuing this story, RosieAnnie. It is one of my favorites and well worth the wait between chapters. You've outdone yourself with a beautiful imagining of a Christmas morning, the family's interactions, well-chosen and/or well meaning thoughtful gifts, and the slight tension in the air, There are so many good parts I would have to comment on every other paragraph. So,I'll limit myself to things that stood out for me - Thaddeus's skill and artistry with woodcarving that you've developed earlier and are continuing. The little glimpses of Kid Curry that come through Thaddeus Jones over the years of blending both personas, and the people's philosopher in action.

I'm looking forward to the Reverend Spencer's visit. I hope Heyes is still alive, thinking about missing his long lost partner as much as Kid is missing him. I also hope that somehow and somewhere they get back together here on Earth before it's too late.

P.S. LOL regarding the reference to the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series within the time frame of the story. Only if you are writing a multi generational saga - What was it, 108 years between titles?
JoAnnB chapter 16 . 7/30/2017
I was very happy to come across your update! I enjoyed the chapter very much-so many complex and intricate interactions between the characters. I enjoyed Thaddeus and Terrence's morning coffee, and all of the thoughtful gifts, each meaningful appropriate.

In the earlier chapters I didn't like Adelaide much, but she's growing on me. I can see that she loves her granddaughters and wants what is best for them (loved that she got down on the floor with the girls to pick up trash.)

I can't wait for Reverend Spencer to arrive. Thaddeus just told the story about Danny, and now he'll have to talk about Briggs-and this time he did wing him in the arm, just like Kid Curry would have done.
NebraskaWildfire chapter 16 . 7/30/2017
It was a pleasant surprise to logon and see this new chapter! As the Kid said, it was a perfect picture of a Christmas morning, and I loved reading it now at the end of July. The character of Thaddeus in this story is done so well. We can still see Kid Curry, how he would have changed over the years and how he would have remained the same. I'm very fond of the other characters you've placed in this story. Chris is the daughter you'd hope for the Kid, with Pat and the girls completing a wonderful family. The in laws are just cantankerous enough for some conflict, but still well meaning enough.
I'm waiting just as anxiously as the Kid (but maybe more eagerly) for the appearance of Reverend Spencer and all the resultant discussions ...
1gin6 chapter 16 . 7/29/2017
Thank you so very much for this new chapter. It is wonderful. Kid has gained so much wisdom over the years, and he has tried to share that with Terrence O'Connor about the grandkids. So much is going on in his mind, with the family, the college students bringing up old history, Reverend Spencer coming to visit and most importantly, Heyes. I hope that my heart is not broken at the end of the story. You have a gift with words.
tcalleen chapter 15 . 2/10/2017
Feel free to post more long chapters! (Or any chapters, ha ha!) I'm anxious to hear what happens next - you're keeping me on the edge of my seat ;-)
Linda chapter 1 . 2/6/2017
That is what I was waiting for, hope Kid and Heyes will have a chance to meet again.
Jessie May Stone chapter 15 . 2/4/2017
I like this story for so many reasons. First and foremost I think many of the Baby Boomers have many of the same feelings today about either moving in with family or assisted living that a 60 or 70 year old Thaddeus Jones...aka Jedediah 'Kid' Curry... seems to be having way back in 1921. I also like the fact that it is centered on family around Christmas and Chris' stress seems believable to me. The way you have Kid characterized puts me in mind of my own grandfather, who has tought me a little gun safety and how to shoot bench rest and a little shotgun (never doing it again).
pI am looking forward to the next fifteen chapters (if you do that many more :D). And I can't wait to see if anymore chapters pop up on the other board for challenge stories.
177 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »