Reviews for The Wicket Gate
BlueWater5 chapter 13 . 7/15
Interesting comparison of Lupin and Snape both having to live with their housemates.
I liked the revenge on the Marauders - very appropriate!
BlueWater5 chapter 9 . 7/15
Interesting view of Lily.
excessivelyperky chapter 13 . 7/2
Mmm...now as things turned out, James et al not having jobs simply made them easy meat for the plans of Albus Dumbledore, which turned out nearly fatally for all of them. An evil fate, but not totally undeserved. What a pity that the main architect of all this folly had to wait a couple more decades of being adored before he finally managed to do himself in.

I might have tweaked this a bit, and if Evan had had a chat with Sluggy, might have come up with something like this:

Lily Evans to get a premier Charms apprenticeship, to be annoyed when James keep insisting on marriage immediately. James a job at the Ministry, under the aegis of a rising young star there. What a pity that his boss will find out that he's faking flirting with her and making fun of her behind her back. Oh, yes, and her devotion to kittens. Remus-to sign up as a lab rat for Belby, book and candle, and perhaps a position in the States with a coyote abatement program. Sirius? An aide to someone diplomatic in the Wizengamot in the hope that he will someday learn manners. He will, of course, do something really stupid out in front of all of Wizarding Britain because he's just that good at it. Peter-he'll be James' replacement with the Toad once James has been consigned to work with Arthur Weasley in Muggle Artifacts (and soon James will find it's just as much fun to prank helpless Muggles the way he did in Rowling's vignette, alas that it will come to the attention of the Ministry and Dumbledore might well be rather disappointed in him). Just a few thoughts.
excessivelyperky chapter 12 . 6/28
Fans self vigorously. I have a son-in-law who's a foodie (though I made him smile when I found him a cheap source of Kona coffee mwa ha ha). Brilliant and scattered, much like Evan himself.

Though I suppose music magic is twee and useless when few people try it at all-but oh, say, let's suppose Beethoven or Stravinsky had a go at it (or even Gershwin, I'd like to design a roller coaster like Rhapsody in Blue). But Snape can do it with just his voice.

Delightful set of missives, definitely above my normal weight, but worth the brain strain to follow.

What in blazes did Evan *do* to those peacocks, anyway? (then again, they always sense weakness, at least the ones at Peterson's Rock Garden do).

Again, delightful.
excessivelyperky chapter 11 . 6/27
Sadly, Slughorn is right about the power structure at Hogwarts. Plus, he'll get two prefects for the price of one, because Snape, as ever, will protect the younger ones at the risk of his own life. As usual. Although he should be racking up favor-points like mad with them by now, you would think (of course they won't be openly acknowledge Because Halfblood, but there they are, nonetheless).

What a pity that James can't be tempted to go mad with power on someone with a family or influence, but he's too much of a pureblood himself to do anything that silly, and has learned that he does need to distract Sirius, who actually doesn't care Because Barking Mad. James' taste is more for slightly refined torture rather than bloody massacre, though his karmic burden because of choosing only the targets nobody cares about and only winning four on one makes him a really bad fit for Gryffindor, both in the fact he clearly plans his attacks out fairly well, and that he's a frickin' coward. Anyone who needs his posse, the Cloak and the Map to overcome one highly motivated wizard is not really Auror material, and I suspect Moody would agree with me.

I just hope that Snape has a quiet and productive summer, has some surprises in hand for the Marauders by the end of it, and isn't overly indentured to the Malfoys, either. But then, in the practice duels he will at least be able to sleep and eat without having to be on guard *all* of the time.

Oh, wait, Narcissa is going to be there...ok, he'll still have to be on guard, but not in the 'who is going to poison me today' sense.
excessivelyperky chapter 10 . 6/21
Oh, dear, I’m afraid I know what tattoo Mulciber is hinting at, and I think Evan would find it Beyond Tacky. But I bet Evan can think of a better one anyway.

Brilliant chapter as always (and oh Lord, I wish I could find some Hangunder some days, although evening primrose oil and drinking lots of water in the commission of a drunk really, really help). I love how the Slytherins are looking after Snape by pleading self-defense (and besides, the Marauders don’t usually go after the purebloods anyway, not even Mulciber or Avery who really are insane).

Evan really does have a complicated relationship with thorny plants, doesn’t he?

And I love how Spike realized so quickly who had helped write Lucius Malfoy’s letter, and still decided to go with the offer. His self-doubts became obvious when he didn’t believe Evan would still want to be with him the summer after, though, and I fully understand Evan’s desire to smack him every once in a while. Plus, Sev’s honestly about what poor neighborhoods and prejudice just makes me hurt for him. Poor people have to look down on *somebody* and that identity changes-these days it’s immigrants.

Again, I love this.
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 6/13
Oh, yes, Cattermole has a game on.

But Lily is used to being *special*, and Petunia is the only annoying note in her life of complete worship from most everybody around her, Petunia has a bad case of Ugly Stepsister, only she has to clean all the ashes instead of the younger one. I very much suspect that the Evans 'rents favor Lily to an obscene extent. Just sayin'. But here at Hogwarts, she's not Lady Bountiful to her Worshiping Peasant; he has better blood than she does there, and if he had any money at all, she knows he would blow her out of the water in the Wizarding World. And she doesn't like it one bit.

Then again, she does have to deal with the Marauders on a daily basis, and she could easily become a target herself if she doesn't toe the party line to some extent. Four on one isn't always just Gryffindors on Slytherins, and Remus would still do nothing. "Evans, don't make me hex you"-she pretends not to take it seriously, but I would bet cash money part of her does. She has to walk a very fine line as to how hard she discourages James Potter.

As for Evan, he should tell Spike what his Boggart was-Snape isn't totally oblivious to what Evan likes, and would understand why Evan found the Nothing so very horrible.

As for skin and hair, I dealt with it by having Snape's liver go tits up because of how long both he and his students' mistakes have poisoned it. Sluggy doesn't have the same problem-when we see him. But he's been away from a cauldron for quite some time when we do meet him, too.
excessivelyperky chapter 8 . 5/25
Oh, yes, the only way to protect Sev is to make him think he's protecting others. But of course the staff never see the consequences of their neglect; well, not till the Carrows showed up to make their lives a living hell when Snape was Headmaster. The sad part is that Snape was still trying to protect them and the students anyway.

Brilliant as ever.

However, given that Gildlylocks might even then have been working on his Memory charms, Evan's idle thought that Lockhart might be playing a deep game undoubtedly remained that way. Insane in plain sight can cover a lot of ambition underneath the glittery façade.

But this explains everything-Sirius Black saying there were Slytherin gangs is usually dismissed because, after all, Snape was alone (abandoned by Lily)-but if these 'gangs' that so cut into his fun were organized after the Worst Memory, then both assertions could be true.

Oh, I have to tell you that your writing is totally brilliant.
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 5/20
OMG, Snape has seen Bambi Meets Godzilla (faints).

And it should be pretty clear to a few Ministry people that something is very, very wrong, but of course they won't get in the Bumblebee's face over it.

That was some awesome Riddikulus going there-and yes, Evan's nightmare would be a world without color. Although I'm still in favor of Lucius finding out the peacocks are carnivorous. Snape's attack mode is pretty much the quad-50 method, but then, he has more enemies than most people.

Grenade, pineapple, oh sick! (laughs head off)
Of course there's a way to improve yellow tones on grey. Go with a shade of golden yellow halfway between saffron and mustard, and pair it with a true ebony, not merely black.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 4/26
I do hope Madam Pomfrey gave Snape a *thorough* examination, and possibly a morning-after pill. But even she can't give Severus more time to recover before taking his/her exams; one wonders if all she does is to cover up the damage that Albus does with his policies (and given that Snape later went to Filch with his Fluffy-bit leg, that may well be what he's concluded by then).

I am not entirely certain what good the letters among the Slytherin pureblood set will do-it's pretty clear that Dumbledore considers such things 'boys will be boys' when Gryffindors are the perpetrators (he's still calling attempted murder by werewolf 'just a prank' decades later. It was a huge mistake for Snape to work for that wizard, however good the reason). Canon makes it pretty clear that as ever, the Marauders had no consequences save James ending up with Lily (given that Rowling married someone abusive, one has to wonder if Lily really had as good a marriage as the legend says or if Rowling really understands what abusive is actually like).

And the effects on Snape were likely permanent; sexual assault often is, and some ways it's worse for boys because a) it doesn't happen as much (as far as we know, some studies are ah, enlightening in that respect) and b) well, it's Sev and he always deserves it as far as Rowling is concerned.

Kudos to you to quoting Elgin! She's amazing (though she is still alive, she is quite ill and quite out of things, and I desperately hope that her last days aren't spent in fear, she had an Exotic Childhood too).

It's good to see Evan finally awaken to the scope of the problem of Gryffindor and Hogwarts there, and to realize that there is no such thing as counseling in the WW (and if there were, why of course those lovely Gryffindor boys couldn't *really* mean to be that monstrous, and of course Albus isn't mishandling the situation out of favoritism, oh no!).
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 4/19
Snape is likely being attacked while he's alone-that would explain the random panic attacks, because he knows he's never going to be safe while at Hogwarts, ever (no doubt the Map and the Cloak are in action. O Brave Gryffindors, you need so much to attack just one person!). And if he doesn't find a safe space soon, it could into a suicide attempt just to make it *stop*. Evan and Narcissa are probably the only things keeping him from it, at this rate.

And...if Snape is still female at the time of the Worst Memory...won't that be jolly?
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 4/3
Note that none of the other Slytherins even think about doing something to the Marauders to cool their jets. Oh, no. That's not done. And Snape is obviously under some kind of Death Will Not Release You Even If You Die oath not to tell what's going on. Clearly, the Marauders are looking to kill Spike by accident since they're apparently not allowed to do so on purpose.

And Snape could have died, since he won't cry pax, he'll just fall over. People have died in wrestling matches under those circumstances, and that's without meaning to. In the Worst Memory he could have choked to death on that Scourgify, or suffered permanent damage to his lungs from the caustic nature thereof, or been dropped on his head.

Obviously, Lily doesn't actually give a damn, and she's clearly starting to push in a way that means she hasn't come up with a way of dumping him that makes her look morally superior yet.

I love Josephine Tey-I picked up a first edition of The Singing Sands for $10 just a couple of weeks ago, and Miss Pym Disposes echoes the occasional nightmare-I used to do balance beam in high school.

And don't get me started on Elizabeth I and the Admiral-I would have helped with the axe on him, as he was both irresponsible *and* stupid.

As for Jacquetta, at the very least she was a poisoner-she was a strega studying to become a venifica, even if Elizabeth was merely very beautiful, lucky, and persistent enough to get the paperwork. Have you ever read THE DRAGON WAITING by John Ford? It's really neat.

Getting back to the story, though, I suspect that any promise to keep quiet about Remus Lupin in order to avoid being expelled might make a really, really good story for the Prophet-if Snape was able to speak or write or even use Morse Code, he has some serious blackmail on the Headmaster. I know this isn't truly AU, but a girl can dream.

Then again, he still has his memories of the event...
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 3/30
Ah. Well, that's *one* way to celebrate a full moon where one did not turn into a werewolf...and of course nobody in Slytherin has connected any of it with the full moon.

Of course, now that Spike isn't going to turn, it's open season on him by James and Sirius...

And becoming Suddenly Betrothed to a marriage-minded Hufflepuff miss is by no means the worst thing that could ever happen to Peter.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 3/27
Just as well the Weasley twins were never invited to this-they'd put in Things. And Stuff. I adore the hilarity of this chapter, including Sirius actually behaving himself for once.

Ah. Full moon. Good thing Spike had a bit of family silver on him, or whatever happened to him would be worse.

This is likely canon, so Spike should be all right (aside from learning his life is worth nothing to the staff, of course). I'm glad Evan is taking care of him.
56 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »