Reviews for Stainless and Honorable Lives
carocali chapter 2 . 10/18/2013
Love this! It's very cool to combine these two iconic stories (yes, I just called supernatural iconic). I also laughed out loud about St. Louis being a wasteland. So far it's been pretty good here but it's definitely not Chicago. :D Really interesting read! I wish I didn't have to work all day! So enjoying this!

:D
Caroline
JensenAcklesfanforever chapter 4 . 10/17/2013
Oh. My. God. that was amazing! and Im glad I stuck around til the end you didn't disappoint!
carocali chapter 1 . 10/17/2013
A story from you! Hooray! And how funny - I lived in Chicago and now I live in St. Louis. Love the way you're putting this together. Silly Garth finding stuff that is out of his league - good thing our boys are here! As a funny aside, there IS a train by the Art Museum but the closest one is a block away and its elevated. :D

Can't wait to see what happened to Sam and if it's King Arthur's crew!

:D
Caroline
need2no chapter 4 . 10/17/2013
Love your story. If you've read any of Ridley C James' Brotherhood ( .com) you know that this isn't the first time the Winchester's have dealt with knights and Arthur's Round Table. I think Sam and Dean would've made great knights.
Thanks for keeping me entertained on this cloudy day. Keep up the wonderful writing.
pandora jazz chapter 4 . 10/16/2013
What a wonderful finish to your story.
I loved the fight scene between Dean and Medraig. Your description of the scene made it easy to visualize as I read this chapter. You had warned us that Dean would be wounded at some point, but you did surprise me with the addition of poison on the sword. I love how Sam reacted when Dean was wounded by killing Medraig.
I loved the history lesson on Camelot and the knights.
I knew Dean would be alright, but you did a great job conveying Sam's panic and worry while trying to find Dean some help. Of course I love when the Impala plays a part. 'He heard the familiar, comforting rumble of the Impala's engine–and Baby was doing a full-out sprint.'
I'm glad that Dean and Sam are both OK.
I can imagine Dean's /face/expression when Sam told him Garth had drove the Impala home.
I know this is a stupid question, but which episode does Dean say sand-warlocks? I completely missed that.
Thanks again for sharing your story with us.
This is definitely one I will be reading again. :)
Guest chapter 4 . 10/14/2013
Dean snorted. "We're blue collar, Sammy–not blue blood. Chances are our great-great-times-whatever grandfather would've been a front-line grunt, holding up a pike not a sword."

"Maybe." Sam glanced around. "But the Men of Letters had to start somewhere. I'll bet that between battles our great-great-times-whatever grandfather was shooting silver-tipped arrows into medieval werewolves, picking the lock of Merlin's castle to steal spells, and tossing rock salt grenades at the ghosts of other grunts, pissed about dying too soon on the battlefield."

How I love that! It gave me tingles, made me laugh and made me nod in agreement, all the while sitting in my cubicle where I'm supposed to be working ).

It's all so true ... and true to Kripke's original vision, I think. Both that the guys are in the end are just a couple of blue collar working guys - and that there have probably been hunters and Men of Letters since the Middle Ages.

Yeah, I know, the 'Men of Letters' was a twist to the mythology added this past year ... but since Kripke's theoretically a consultant on the show, he probably gave the idea his blessing.
entergrg chapter 4 . 10/14/2013
Wow. That was a truly awesome story. I love how you tied the story to the MoL. It was wonderfully done. Thanks for sharing the story!
I'mcalledZorro chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
This was such an amazing story! I always enjoy seeing a new story by you in my inbox. and this story was truly awesome! I have always enjoyed hearing tales of King Author and been to a few Renaissance fairs. I love how Dean connected to the knights because he truly has the noble spirit. The part about city of Winchester was really cool (FYI there is a town named Winchester close to me) Again great story and looking forward to the next one whenever that might be.
Freya922 chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
I love that the grail is kind of a decoy, with the spear the real magical item. You wove such a great plot around all of these elements, down to the notion of the guardians who kept their charge until... just now! The connection with Winchester and with the Classic Comics moment in The Great Escapist is just sublime, as is your title. I think my favorite part of this last chapter, however, is the banter between the boys when they are back in the bunker, healing up. So many wonderful small exchanges, from the stuff about Garth and the car, to the sand-warlocks, to how they picture their ancestors...pikemen, or hunters, or Men of Letters, or... That last line where Dean is going to tell Charlie all about this is the perfect way to wrap it up.

Now we need a new idea to grab you so there'll be another fic in the works... :)
scootersmom chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
What a great, great story! You are so creative and imaginative. I loved the merging of the legends and stories with Sam and Dean's story today. Awesome work!
The part about the foil being found was such a nice touch!
ncis-lady chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
That was a great way to finish the story. Of course Dean wouldn't miss a sword fight, and I could totally imagine him swinging the sword in the museum. Quite a nice way to wrap things up in the end, too, with Mordred surviving the trip to the future (this being able to kill Arthur in Camlann), Sam being given the amulet and of course the aluminum foil in the glass case :)
The end made me laugh - Garth driving the Impala must be the biggest shock for Dean ever since he found out about Slash fans ;)
Samantha V chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
What an absolutely fabulous fic! Love the twist with the spear being the true quest, and the mention by Dean of the paradox that always seems to come up with time travel ;) Beautifully researched and written, all I can say is wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
murphy9202 chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
Awesome story! You did a wonderful job. I really liked it. Thanks for writing the story.
Madebyme chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
I don't think I have enough words to express how thoroughly captivating and exciting this story is! You've certainly outdone yourself when it comes to research and how you've blended legend with the show. I really hope you're proud of what you've accomplished here, it really is a stunningly brilliant fic.

The battle scene was perfect, fast and hard hitting, and I liked how much thought you put into the differences between the Knights fighting in their armor and Dean fighting in modern clothes with a weapon that he is unfamiliar with.

I'm so happy that you linked the city of Winchester and Camelot to the boys, I can't think of anything more fitting, it really does feel like something that the show could legitimately use at some point, especially after Sam's conversation with Dean in 8.21. I also liked how you mentioned the Men of Letters too - another truly plausible link to the Legend.

And the h/c, well that was just the icing on a truly scrumptious cake! I really liked how even though Dean was so sick, he was always at least semi-aware of the state in Sam's health, worrying more about his brother then himself, which can also be said about Sam after he passed out in the doc's office - these boys, huh!

I adored this fic, the combination of your research and writing skills have created a memorable fic that I'm sure to re-visit time and time again. Thank you so much for writing and sharing, it's been a pleasure to read your work, as always. Take care, :) (PS - is it too early to be enquire about your next fic?!)
ziggy.uk chapter 4 . 10/13/2013
Awesome concluding chapter to a fantastic and brilliantly researched story. Just loved how you combined history with the Winchesters and still didn't change the outcome. Was sitting on the edge of my seat whilst reading the battle scene, totally hooked on the action. And perfect ending, great brotherly banter between Sam and Dean and the icing on the cake was Charlie ringing and Dean saying "you're never go gonna guess who we just met ..." as it's right up her alley!
And I would like to think that Kripke chose the name Winchester for Sam and Dean, with an eye to history as they are knights of a modern time.
A really fantastic read, great attention to detail and riveting throughout.
142 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »