Reviews for Dragonsteeth
Marianne Bennet chapter 23 . 19h ago
Very cute. I love the concept. And Kundry's name; I'm a big Wager fan.

Kind of ridiculous that someone told you "you had no right" to do something in fanfiction. Oh, well, there's no accounting for other people's opinions.
The Warrior of the Light chapter 22 . 4/16
AHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Well, I must say, that ending part was completely enjoyable. Emasculating Loghain like that, I didn't even think it possible! The man is, after all, pretty much the Batman of the Dragon Age universe.

Maude time traveling, saving alternate dimensions? The poor girl has been through enough :/ It's only going to drive her even more cray cray. But it does make me wonder how someone like Bronwyn would have handled the situation. Much more subtly and with that Cousland charm, I wager.
mille libri chapter 23 . 4/14
Love this one - it's one of my favorites of this series. There's just nothing quite like the loyalty or intelligence of a good dog.
Guile chapter 23 . 4/14
Ha, you used it after all! Awesome. Bit of a shame we didn’t see the end of the Archdemon fight from Sparky’s perspective, but reading about the rest of the world scratching their head at the Dog Lords’ secret arts tickled me pink. This will probably lead to a whole division of mabari Wardens. Alistair declares full rights for all mabari within Ferelden borders! A dog is given a vote at the Landsmeet!

On the subject of a second son by way of Fiona… Anders DOES bear a resemblance to Alistair. Was that ever explained, or is it just a random coincidence that could be spun in interesting directions? It would never happen of course (mages being what they are), but I’m imagining Alistair dying to end the Archdemon, then Arl Eamon digging up the backup plan and struggling to keep an escape artist mage king on the throne.
timunderwood9 chapter 23 . 4/14
A lot of fun, the reaction in Weisshaupt was excellently amusing.
Atri chapter 23 . 4/13
Well, there is a Warden dog in the canon. In The Calling there was Hafter, which also underwent a form of the joining ritual. As for another of Maric's bastards, there's always Anders. Anders is rather similar in appearance to Alistair and Cailan, he's a mage, and he's supposedly from the Anderfels. Assuming Magic is hereditary (to which there are hints) that might show the genes of Fiona, whereas his appearance is caused by strong Therein blood. It's also not unlikely for Fiona to have traveled to Weisshaupt following the events of The Calling, and Anders might have been born in the Anderfels. The only problem existing in that scenario is where was Anders before he joined the Circle?
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 23 . 4/13
I want to punch Alistair. The really unfortunate thing is that I can see things turning out exactly as they did, given the right (well, horribly, horribly wrong) circumstances.

The idea of a Mabari killing the archdemon is actually quite amazing, though, while also being a bit sad. Given the choice I probably would have gladly sacrificed Alistair for Sparky.
M2J MandalorianJedi chapter 23 . 4/13
At this point, the only one who could confirm or deny the Fiona/Alistair connection is Fiona herself. The DA world has left it ambiguous enough to go either way, so it is both right and wrong to assume that Alistair is/isn't her son.

This isn't the first fic that's explored "Warden" mabari. In fact, I don't remember what the name was, but in one story, The Warden named Dog "Warden" for that very reason. Everyone seems to look down and underestimate Fereldans and discount them easily as "dog lords" and "barbarians", but they all seem to forget that even before the Battle of the River Dane, Fereldan was kicking ass and taking names. Orlais gained Fereldan through trickery, not war. It was In Fereldan that the rebellion against the Tevinter Imperium began. Andraste herself was Fereldan, born in Denerim. If the tale Fenris told Hawke's mabari in DA2 was true, the mabari were not only created by the magisters but loved the Tribals in Fereldan so much that they turned on them and were amongst the first beings to fight against the Tevinters. Is it really that surprising that Fereldans and the mabari have such a close knit relationship?
Kira Kyuu chapter 23 . 4/13
Maric's -other son-? I really should read the Calling - and, you know, other Dragon Age related paraphernalia.

In any case, thank you for this amusing chapter/oneshot :D
Dante Alighieri1308 chapter 23 . 4/13
Hahaha well this was a fun chapter! It's an interesting idea that the kennel master created the first dog warden, and that everyone was totally cool with loving Sparky for it.

Cute chapter!
PoptartProdigy chapter 23 . 4/13
To be fair to your anonymous reviewer, I've actually checked the dates before, and there's no way Alistair *could* be Fiona's son; he was actually born three years before the Calling ever took place. To be fair to *you*, it's clearly implied that Alistair is the child born in The Calling, and thanks to BioWare's expanded universe writers not checking their dates, there are several continuity errors surrounding the tie-in novels that can muddle the issue. Beyond that, just finding out about when Alistair was born and when The Calling takes place consumed over an hour of my time and necessitated me checking five separate articles on the Wiki due to how aggressively poorly put together it is with regards to the minutiae. *shrug* I don't get too worked up over it, myself. Alistair being Fiona's son is clearly what they wanted to imply, even if they screwed it up, and it's a fascinating idea in any event. I certainly wouldn't say you have no *right* to assume it.

As to the actual story, I have to say that this hasn't been my favorite chapter of Dragonsteeth, but it was a very interesting premise. I prefer the ones where you spread out a bit and explore the implications of the world you're building, but these short and sweet ones are really interesting too. Thanks for posting! I look forward to the next.
Tikigod784 chapter 23 . 4/13
Sparky is the Warden we deserved, but not the one we needed.
JackOfBladesX chapter 23 . 4/13
Wow...i don't think I ever heard "you have no right to assume X" from a reviewer of fanfiction. Seriously, first time.

Imagining a scene Ostagar time period, where Cailan, Alistair, and Anders (who many people once assumed to be one of Maric's illegitimate children), are in the same room together. Lohgain is standing in the background, watching the three of them interact...with an ever growing headache.

Great story. Once wrote a short story that involved a Mage's Mabari distracting the Archdemon by biting him in the (ahem) back of his upper hind-leg...you know the thigh area. In the epilogue i have everyone remembering the Dogs name centuries after the Blight...while the Warden's name was forgotten almost immediately (never actually named him in story).

Anyway, can't wait to see what you have next.
Chandagnac chapter 23 . 4/13
Hilarious. I enjoyed this a lot. It's interesting to see your different variations on canon characters (e.g. in this chapter, Alistair is a rather unpleasant fellow).
dustywalker chapter 23 . 4/13
This makes a lot of sense... now that you've made me think about it. Poor Kennel-Master would have made a fortune on the recipe, too.

Love it.