Reviews for Innocence and Instinct
Lya200 chapter 30 . 11/14/2016
My heart shattered with Leon leaving! Why you do this?!
clh chapter 31 . 10/5/2016
At first I was annoyed when I realised this was going to be an Arthur-finds-out-about-Merlin's-magic story because I feel they're overdone and tend to miss the mark, but as it played out I actually quite like it and see that it was necessary to the plot with the whole Arthur going into Merlin's mind thing rather than just feeling tacked-on like I was worried it would.

Poor Leon, though. Arthur needs to realise that whatever Leon did wrong he did for Arthur and snap out of his unforgiving mood. Grudge holding doesn't suit him. That's Uther and Morgana's territory.

I liked how you tied in the ball of light thing by introducing it at the beginning and then having its significance become clear later. I also like that Merlin still feels a connection to Arthur.
clh chapter 13 . 10/5/2016
Perhaps Merlin should tell Arthur that when Garlock's spirit possessed him that Garlock's ability to do magic was transferred to him as well. That way he could warn Arthur that magic might be used against him without having to admit he's had magic all along.

Unless, of course, Garlock doesn't know Merlin's got magic yet, and to say that aloud would clue him in.

I liked that Arthur only went all uncharacteristically emotionally-expressive on us because he thought it might help save Merlin. That way he could be a bit warmer than usual without being out of character.

For the most part this is well-written, but there's just one recurring problem that's bugging me and you might want to take into account for future stories. You commonly substitute the verb "stated" for "said". This is a common mistake I see, and a lot of writers don't seem to realise that these words aren't actually synonyms. "State" carries the nuance of said matter-of-factly and without any particular emotion. You sometimes use it after an exclamation mark which is particularly jarring, since the blandness of the verb "state" is in direct opposition to the emotional intensity indicated by the exclamation mark. "State" should really only be used sparingly in dialogue or not at all. It really only works when you're trying to show that someone is saying something very matter-of-factly or formally. It's better just to use "said" twice as frequently than to substitute a word that doesn't fit. Sorry for coming over all didactic, but this is done so often in fanfiction, that I think a lot of people simply don't realise the full meaning of the word "state". Your writing is good otherwise, or I probably wouldn't even bother.
RomulusThePlanet chapter 9 . 10/5/2016
Poor Arthur. I'm glad he's got Gwen and that she knows how best to comfort him. I like how the scenes between them have the right amount of tenderness without being overly mushy-gushy smoochy-woochy romance scenes.
The-Hunters-Girl chapter 31 . 9/29/2016
Wow, Just Wow but... where is the sequel?
Cat chapter 31 . 11/16/2015
Good story
Grac3 chapter 31 . 8/12/2015
That was a really bittersweet ending to a gorgeous fic. I have loved every minute of this. Perfect hurt/comfort, even though the ending left me drowning in a pool of feels.
NaruShika-Forever chapter 31 . 7/13/2015
I was never able to be mad at Leon. He did what he thought was best. And in the end, he saved Merlin. He didn't need to be distracted and misled my Merlin. He's too loyal to Arthur.

I about cried. Gwaine's words were engraved into his soul! So Beautiful...

Lovely story. So great.
Said The Liar 13 chapter 31 . 6/19/2015
I have to start by saying what a moving ending this story had. The whole plot was a delight to read and I have to say, it caught me by surprise.

When I first read chapter 1, I saw the mention of suicide and - not being a huge fan of suicide fics - decided against reading it. Now, after having read your story, part of me wishes I had read it from the beginning as you were updating (because it kept me on the edge of my seat) while the other part is glad that I held off since I was able to read the whole story completed instead of having to wait. If I did, I would have anxiously checked my laptop repeatedly for an update while you were still typing your story.

From the characters, the plot, to the magic reveal, all the way to the end with Merlin sacrificing his memories and himself for the good of Camelot, "Innocent and Instincts" had me wanting to read more and more every step of the way. I especially admire the fact that the story doesn't have a picture-perfect happy ending but takes a more realistic approach to story-telling (that being, not all stories have happy endings).

Yes, Gwaine lives, Merlin survives, poor honor-bound Leon leaves and evil is vanquished (for now), but our favorite warlock is not and may never be the same. The fact that his memories are gone forever (for the moment) almost gives him a "clean slate" - if you will - to start over. No, he didn't do anything wrong but now he can renew his friendships/bonds with everyone else without the fear of magic and with hopefully happier memories. Leon's words of wisdom - "And if not you will create new memories" are poetic and true and will hopefully pave the way for a better life for Merlin... and another story?...please? XD

Which brings me to my next point, please make your prequel and sequel to this fic. This story was amazing! After I finished reading this, I told myself "Man, I wish this plot-line was a season finale for the actual show" (if it had continued). How awesome would that have been?! Anyways, I'll stop ranting now. This story was amazing to read and I can't wait to hopefully see more from you and this story-arc.

Until later,
-STL13
To lazy to login chapter 10 . 5/31/2015
I think he's faking being back to normal
Ghetta90 chapter 31 . 2/1/2015
Ops, the last comment is mine sorry, I didn't log in :P
Guest chapter 31 . 2/1/2015
So, it's 4.20 a.m. and I've just finished this after having discovered it at 10.30 p.m. and so I've read it in one go and...absolutely love it! 3
There's so much to say but now my mind doesn't work right, and I'm crying too so...
Anyway this fic is perfect and there are 3 images I'll always keep in my heart: Arthur jump in the fire, the way Merlin stays "anchored" at Freya's smile by that fragment and this part:

"Merlin… you didn't let go of me, even when everyone else did, why?" Gwaine asked. "You don't even remember who I am."

Words trickled into Merlin's head, he didn't know where they came from but they seemed appropriate. He turned and looked at Gwaine, one hand on the door.

"Friends never give up…" Merlin said, staring into space absentmindedly, "and they never let go."

I wish I had friends that never give up on me :'( but this is another story :P

All this to say, thank you for all this emotions, adventures and scenes I wished so much they'd put in the show too. Really thank you *_*
And a prayer: please, give us the sequel, we need it! *_*
I'll keep waiting for it and hope! ;)
In the meantime...goodnight! :)
guest chapter 31 . 1/12/2015
great story! is the sequel out yet?
sfox88 chapter 15 . 12/31/2014
But the code is so ingrained into Leon...a king before a servant, the people before himself...he will never kill some "helpless", someone who surrenders. Right?
sfox88 chapter 10 . 12/31/2014