Reviews for The Currents of Time
Alphae-baisse chapter 1 . 8/27
Okay, first and foremost, and this is entirely because of personal bias, WOO DEAD THALMOR. But, to be more serious, I found this to be a fairly solid interrogation scene, and found the surprise of Thorald's salvation to be a bit refreshing. Usually this kind of situation comes up in a movie, or a book, but when it's overly predictable, and a hero is already established. Here, however, since it's a starting situation, you've done a good job of counteracting that cliche.
Kurlan Aank chapter 5 . 6/30
Continues to be interesting. Can't wait to see what else this story as to offer.
Kurlan Aank chapter 2 . 5/28
Poor Paarthurnax... confused still by the actions of mortals.
Kurlan Aank chapter 1 . 5/28
Rather interesting if I say so myself.
Simply Christian chapter 50 . 4/10
I must say, this is one of the best planned and thought-out Skyrim fics I've ever read.

One of my favorite aspects is the way you take things from the game player don't think about, give them an in-depth examination, and present an astonishing conclusion that left us wondering why we didn't see it before.

You also portrayed the Thalmor as a terrifying threat to Tamriel. Too often I see writers write them off as easy foes to overcome, not remembering there is a reason why the Thalmor had been successful in becoming a power that rivaled the Empire.

Your Dragonborn Iseus is one of my favorites because out of all the Dragonborn stories I've read, yours is the one with the most foresight and the best grasp of strategy and tactics. Iseus is a leader and a commander; being able to to instill and inspire his followers, and also able to make difficult decisions without either being too callous or too overburdened by them. And as shown in the final chapter, despite the image he has crafted for himself, he remains human.

I enjoyed reading about Paarthurnax's meditations and the conversations he has with other dragons. Especially on the topic of empathy, and how it is possible for a dragon to feel it despite their cultural focus on power.

I liked your inclusion of Noster as an Everyman, an ordinary person who discovers the darker aspects of the man who is leading the defense of Skyrim. He rightfully calls Iseus out on how wrong it is to capture black souls, but also understands there is nothing he can really do about it.

Your portrayal of Ancano is probably the best I've read, and I found it tragic that he missed his chance at redemption.

Easily the most heart-breaking part of this story was Lydia's fate. Seeing one of the most beloved followers in "Skyrim" broken and twisted into nothing more than an empty tool of the Thalmor is horrific, and even Ancano executing Sielar for what he had done does little to compensate for the loss.

All in all, this was a very well-done story, congratulations.
Lightsaviour2759 chapter 50 . 3/28
Wait I thought he was dating the kahjiit? In love with paarthurnax. Damn that's interesting.
Kai chapter 33 . 2/3
Great.
With their spies everywhere and their unbeatable killing machine of the 14th the Thalmor seemed to be some kind of uber-army, invincible. But the resounding success of this mission gave me hope that the real people have a chance. I'm glad.
Hehe, only a dead Thalmor is a good Thalmor, a principle I follow strictly in my current game. I got lots of pretty glass armour pieces out of that... :-)
EricLightscythe chapter 50 . 12/19/2015
I think this series handles the Thalmor side of the story pretty well. In the game, you just finish the main story and the faction lines and that's that. This took it far beyond that. Looking forward reading the rest.
EricLightscythe chapter 34 . 12/18/2015
...that was nauseating. Though I suppose it's a perfectly Thalmor thing to do. But is such a roundabout change even possible? This reminds me of Widowmaker from Overwatch.
I came here from the Nine Hundred and Ninety Nine to see what happened to Lydia. Now I'm completely engrossed in this series.
countess z chapter 50 . 12/14/2015
And here it ends. At first I was shocked about the Ulfric thing (which was actuallya very clever and creative way to put him to use) but I was even more shocked about Iseus' confession to Paarthurnax. That was all very tender and touching. It makes sense though, that in the end the dragon would be the only one allowed to see the man separate from the myth. Because in the end, he really is just a man, an incredibly flawed man. I wish I had more things to say about this, but I don't know what else, perhaps there are no more words that need to be said. Thank you, thank you for sharing this work with all of us here. This has been such a wonderful experience to read, and I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy. - dances away to read TOT -
countess z chapter 49 . 12/13/2015
I love how in every chapter Brynjolf comments on the glorious tables and tables of food in Jorrvaskr. If you show Sovngarde in your story I do hope you comment on the sweetrolls in the Hall of Valor, ehehe.
Wow, Vilkas had already figured out Brynjolf's deception. I did not see that coming. Brynjolf was just as surprised as I was that Aela was more forgiving than Vilkas about the ordeal.
I like all the little allusions to Maven being out of the picture, like the fact that the mead was of Honningbrew make.
I also laughed at Brynjolf never being able to have a drink in peace. Poor guy. Yet... all things considered, as true to Brynjolf's character in the game, he is phenomenally lucky. He's gotten himself out of a lot of sticky situations in all 8 of his chapters, with the fact that the Companions aren't about to have his head mounted on the wall being his latest. I did enjoy this chapter, and Brynjolf's moment with Aela was certainly a turning point for him and the rest of the Companions.
countess z chapter 48 . 12/13/2015
I think that with all of the buildup over the massacre in Alftand, it made J'zargo's narrative feel less relatable, even slightly jarring to see that with his blind admiration, Iseus is literally the only thing he cares about right now. His reaction to finding out about the soul gems also seemed a bit alarming as well, that the only thing he was concerned about was that Iseus kept it a secret from him. It may have been your intention to illustrate his immaturity and youthful inexperience with the real world, but at the same time highlighting these things also makes the implications between his and Iseus' relationship a bit weirder just because J'zargo doesn't really seem ready for any sort of intimate relationship.
Noster confronting Iseus is probably one of the most powerful moments in your entire story, and it certainly brings up a lot of important moral issues, like the question of whether the end justifies the means and the fact that he had to keep everyone else in the dark about it, because a lot of people would have had the exact same reaction. Noster realizes his personal opinion doesn't matter anymore because even the gods are on Iseus' side, which also brings up that Iseus dealing with Hermaeus Mora is shady enough. There's a lot of dirty, horrible things that are being done, and while no one is arguing that the alternative is any better, it was a little jarring to read this huge reveal through J'zargo's eyes when he was more concerned about Iseus keeping secrets. But maybe that was just me, I dunno.
countess z chapter 47 . 12/12/2015
You know, I was going to comment about how it was cool that Noster could see the auras of people with magicka, but it turned out to be incredibly useful when he saw the Dominion marching above. Must have a super long range! That ought to get annoying in crowds. The stakes are so high right now and they're really unprepared for this, but that is what makes the suspense so wonderful!
Side note, this is probably the first chapter that I feel like I'm starting to "get" Noster. His disgust at the measures that Iseus has taken to ensure their victory is probably the first time I remember him having a distinct emotional response to anything. Also, him knowing that he was doomed and still trying to pick off as many Thalmor as he could with his bow. I liked that. That was cool.
Noster also sniping Ancano was a good touch. Him and his fancy slicked white hair.
I appreciate the use of Zalgo text here. I really do. More than just the Zalgo text, I appreciate that entire bit immensely. That was just very good. Reminded me a lot of H.P. Lovecraft again. Ew, Hermaeus Mora no one wants to go to Apocrypha just stop.
I was almost hoping to see what was left of the Black Machine arriving just in time to kill them all, but I was wrong again. It's probably better this way too because anything without some sort of godlike intervention might not have turned out so well. Either way it is good to see another glimpse of Hermaeus Mora's power, even if it might start to seem that Iseus could potentially be going down the same path as the first Dragonborn he mentioned. I start to wonder if what Hermaeus Mora just did to the entire army could be anything similar (on a much smaller scale) to what Azura might have done to make the entire Dwemer race disappear (that is, assuming she had been involved in the first place. Maybe it had been HM the entire time).
countess z chapter 46 . 12/11/2015
Beginning of the end, indeed! It's good to see you describe in greater detail just how awesome and horrible magic can be. Like, to read about them completely destroying everything in their path, the charred bodies, the cold efficiency. With each chapter Ancano seems to be getting more indifferent about his situation and he seems to have resigned himself to the fact that he might die soon. Right now it looks like they've got the upper hand, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Iseus and the Black Machine are going to get out on top!
countess z chapter 45 . 12/10/2015
You've made this chapter very intense and suspenseful and this is a very good thing.
First, we had the lighthearted banter with Thorald's squadmates. I even laughed about Ralof's line about knowing less about the Dragonborn's personal life. But then...

Yeah, that line where Thorald couldn't think of any nice, honorable things to say for him. That got me. This is where everything is real and the stakes are higher than they have ever been.
This is a great twist though, and out of all the people to be an agent, he is definitely in a position to do some of the most harm. Good for Thorald to figure it out before getting zapped. That was a cool idea, and that reveal was superbly done. You should be proud of that. I never saw that coming.
What an exciting confrontation though! I was on edge the entire way through!
This was a very well-written chapter and as sad as I am about Thorald's squad, I can see that this is one of the most important moments in the story. This is the first time we see the Black Machine as a whole facing genuine peril. Thorald's revelation was also a very good moment. Like, we already knew that he was starting to grow disillusioned before, but had slowly come to accept that this wasn't a battle that could be fought in the honorable Nord way. Now he's learning just how big all of this is, and will have to accept the terrible things that come with it, including the fact that he is a part of it. I wonder how he's going to cope.