Reviews for Better Angels: A Call to Arms
LifeIsAGreatAdventure chapter 18 . 6/13/2014
I have generally liked the chapters I've read in this story though this one (which I did like), I found least likable of the lot. Maybe because of its background not being in space and so a little further ... out of place?" but in any case another series that I will enjoy following. Thanks for your hard work on this.
robb1068 chapter 18 . 6/9/2014
Neat snapshot of what Anderson had to go through leading the resistance on Earth while Shepard was crisscrossing the galaxy. The antique weapons and civilian volunteers are one thing, but having to deal with a relentless enemy that knows no mercy and cannot be bargained with... makes you really appreciate the job he does in keeping it together on Earth.

"Anderson can't help but smile as he sees her father, sitting in a similar position with exactly the same look on his face, worrying about whether he's just royally screwed his chances with the charming Ensign Hannah Harrison." Having got to know Hannah Shepard in "Well Met By Moonshine", this really made me smile! :-)

"...but a lifetime of battles has taught him a thing or two, a key lesson being to never look at a bigger picture than you have to." I think this is something that Shepard was dogged by in the ME3 storyline. I think because of the prothean visions, she was acutely aware of the big picture and it was a constant source of stress.

Great chapter!
RheasHelm chapter 18 . 6/2/2014
This is a bit of a departure from the timeline of the previous chapters. But it's a good one. Poor Fletcher though, now he won't get the chance to fight for the hand of the "fair lady". Haha, that was great - Lady Shepard the Fair.
Gabrielle Henson chapter 16 . 6/1/2014
An excellent one! Not only have we got some Kasumi-fun, but we have Aethyta as well. She's definitely my favorite asari. The whole conversation was priceless and the explanation with the ocular implant a very good one.
Good job!
Riptide Monzarc chapter 18 . 6/1/2014
Poor kid! This was a really interesting look at how Anderson survived on Earth while Rachel was out saving the galaxy; I really liked the interwoven memories of better days along with the desperate urgency of the present situation. Civilians having to take up arms with no training and no experience can only result in high casualties. I hope Anderson did manage to tell Rachel about Fletcher, but by the time she got back to Earth, he probably had too many other tragic stories to think about.

Can't wait to see what you've got coming up next!
Revan's Mask chapter 18 . 5/29/2014
Poor Fletcher. The kid had doomed written all over him, doubly so with his plan to woo Shepard... Good ol' Anderson. Does anyone not make him the Councillor? Interesting to see a bit of the war from his perspective.
Elizabeth Carter chapter 18 . 5/29/2014
nice little back-story and history filler, defiantly rounds out their relationship and I loved the little drop of "Child" in there so when he says it again at the end it fits so very well
Planetar chapter 18 . 5/29/2014
Now that was just cruel. I actually liked Fletcher. He was a dork like me, just, you know... with more self confidence :P And you went and killed him. I totally call sexism on you because of that!

On a more serious note, I think this chapter is a little different that the others in this compilation of yours. Most other chapters have a message of hope and end on a somewhat positive note. And while that is also true for the current chapter, it has a much darker undertone than any previous. Considering the place of happening, that is very much appropriate, but also a rather stark contrast. And as usually, you did a great work, but damn, it was still quite a kick in the nuts. Also, did you take any idea from Anderson's interviews found in the Citadel apartment? I think there are nods to them in the chapter, but it's been a long time since I've played the Citadel DLC, so I may be mistaken.

As usual, a terrific read and a pleasure. Keep doing good work wyles, we all appreciate it :)
metaladdict chapter 18 . 5/29/2014
A really awesome chapter.

I didn't expect anything in this direction it is a really awesome freaking chapter.
BA Tanglepaw chapter 18 . 5/28/2014
Really terrific storytelling here! Well thought out, well written and a very insightful glimpse into Anderson's reality during ME3. Very cool to get some of his insights into his past with Shep and his combat experiences. The conversation with Fletcher is touching, really demonstrating some of the qualities that make Anderson a great character and compelling leader. I love the credit you give the NCOs who are so often forgotten and overlooked in contemporary stories. Hats off to you dear Wyles for a wonderful chapter!
adalan chapter 2 . 5/28/2014
I remember Ash's comment that it takes a special kind of bullheaded to go where your are blackballed. It's a sense of stubbornness I can relate to. I appreciate the way you fleshed out the inner turmoil. I find that particular brand of stubborn has to be hardened in the forge and most often the hottest flames are your own.
adalan chapter 1 . 5/28/2014
I'm not in the least bit surprised that Chakwas has been given the honour of the first chapter and rightly so.

In my first play through of ME2, I chased the collectors the instant I realized Chakwas was missing. I didn't even care that I had not completed all the loyalty missions and would likely lose people. The only other time I had that kind of response in the entire trilogy was my first play through of the ME3 ending pre-EC and I thought Liara might be dead on the ground in London.

I enjoyed the relaxed pace of the chapter. It felt like sitting down to have a drink with old friends. Great work!
robb1068 chapter 17 . 5/21/2014
Aria T'Loak... Mass Effect's Boba Fett. A character with questionable morals that's become a fan favorite.

"The human soldier had been stiff and silent for most of the trip from the Serpent Nebula, almost brooding," I see the Omega mission almost as a necessary evil for Shepard... required for the war resources, but a distraction from the real war.

"Shepard's prissy little fuck-buddy is not someone she wants privy to her activities." My guess is she already knows everything about your activities, Aria. :-D

I rather like how Aria is depicted in this chapter. She's the same arrogant badass, but the indifference is missing here. She has something to hide and is focused on revenge. That she considered killing Shepard to protect her secrets, I think falls closer to the character we met in ME2, although the circumstances don't allow for the intrigue common to Omega.

Great chapter!
cerrullianstyle chapter 12 . 5/18/2014
Damn that's good.
Riptide Monzarc chapter 17 . 5/17/2014
A refreshing look into the assault on Omega! I really like how you hit all the high notes, and though this chapter's a bit longer than usual, it never feels like it drags. And I admire Shepard's mouth even if my own Shepard might play a little looser with her morals when the time comes. ;)

Aria's touches of vulnerability are really nice, a look into her own mistakes and her capacity for reflection and loss, despite the icy, murderous exterior she maintains. Even here, you show enough of her 'humanity' to know she was touched by love, even if the experience burned her.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is coming down this pipeline!
188 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »