Reviews for A Reminder of Our Crimes: The 35th Hunger Games
EverlastingImpression chapter 47 . 12/17/2015
1. As I read through the story, my favorite character would have probably been Orren. He was just fun to read about, and I enjoyed him a lot. I also liked Salton. He had a compelling story and admirable goals, and he grew a lot throughout the story. I it was interesting reading about his relationship with Andromeda, but I definitely, definitely preferred Orren's platonic relationship with Bree. Salton's romantic relationship with Andromeda seemed forced. And of course, Paddy was cute. I loved Paddy. Although Orren was my favorite, Salton was the better choice for Victor. He would have, and did, have the most influence on his society by winning. That isn't something that Orren could have provided. Orren was the perfect character for the story, while Salton was the perfect character for escaping the Hunger Games.

2. Lily Star bothered me. She was introduced with a very specific personality (rebel type) that never showed any development or growth except for a sudden change at the time of her death. Realistically, she should have been killed by Gamemakers, and I would have been most content with that. I thought it was out of character for her to kill Shimmer, even if it was in self-defense. She never showed any indication of wanting to preserve her life prior to that (never appealing to sponsors, angering the Gamemakers, etc), yet her final act was demonstrated to be conforming to what the Capitol wants and killing another person. If this was her intended development, I could understand and really appreciate that, but there was never any sort of lead up to its occurrence. If she were to ultimately decide to play the Game and try to live, then the abandonment of her rebellious principles should have left more of an impression on her character, the readers, and the rest of the story. Her transition from a rebel to a pawn of the Capitol could have been awesome! Instead it felt very sudden and perhaps unintended. I did enjoy reading about her interactions with her mentor, Miles, though, along with Bryce.

3. Bree's death. It successfully epitomized the lack of necessity of the Hunger Games and how it tears families and friends apart. It completed Orren's development and set up the final battle perfectly, and it showed how helpless even the strongest characters can be.

4. The ghosts of the dead tributes, Medusa and the twins probably could have been done better, and mostly for the same reason: subtlety. The ghosts were a bit too obvious with their messages, and I felt that if they were more ambiguous, they would have been better additions. Too many ghosts at the end. Too much involvement from the dead. It would have been better if Orren was forced to make the confession himself. Medusa was 14, and I felt she was a bit too competent. She might have been better off as a loner character instead of joining the Career pack. She still could have caused a lot of damage by doing that. The twins were fun. I enjoyed reading about them. However, they never missed a chance to say 'kill'. They could have still had their necessary bloodlust without saying it constantly; it would have made them better as well. They still could have been creepy without being as annoying.

5. The saddest moment in the story was the death of Bree. It was very drawn out, and she was in so much pain. She's always seemed vulnerable in the story, but she developed an unusual amount of emotional strength as it went along. In the end, she lost it all to a horrible death. Orren trying so hard to save or at least comfort Bree and ultimately being unsuccessful was painful to read. Orren broke down too, and he was always the tougher one. Another saddest moment was Velour's suicide following the death of Shimmer. Shimmer's vulnerability at the end of his life was upsetting, and it proved that despite his talk, he was still just a kid. Velour couldn't imagine life without his twin, and I can't imagine how much it must have hurt him to watch the one person he thought would live die.

6. My favorite alliance in this story was definitely Orren and Bree. They were competent characters who learned to use their strengths to compensate for each others weaknesses, and they never failed to grow and develop together. I loved reading about their interactions. Another favorite alliance was between Morris and Karina. Even though they both died in the Bloodbath, their interactions really did leave an impression on me. Karina was strong in her own way, and Morris was easily the kindest person in the story.

7. I loved the addition of the Jabberjays and the role they had in the story. The ghosts were an interesting addition, but I think they would have been better if they were more subtle. For example, instead of Andromeda openly announcing who killed her, a more ambiguous clue figured out by Salton would have been better. Riddles would be fun, and seeing how tributes misinterpreted them would have been fascinating. The Capitol stuff was cool.

8. The irony of Andromeda sparing the District 3 tributes and then later being killed by them was great.
ColMikeFuser chapter 7 . 12/8/2015
District Six is oh-so-very-much like Detroit...

I love it.
ColMikeFuser chapter 3 . 12/8/2015
All right. We've seen Tiger Eyes' actions while on methamphetamine, benzedrine, or coca-leaf extract...if he's been well-fed and had a good night's sleep before his stimulant or adrenaline binge. After three days of it, with his blood sugar low, his liver going into ketosis from burning away his remaining body fat, his peripheral nerves juddering, his muscles spastic, and his visual acuity in the darkness becoming very poor, then we'll see if he's still able to fight.

The Nazis conquered Poland successfully, using a methamphetamine-benzedrine cocktail to keep their troops wide awake and walking East, while aircraft and armor breached resistance and maintained the momentum. The Wehrmacht rested up for a week and got over the stress of drugged forced marches.

When they repeated the procedure to take Stalingrad, it failed. They got into the city. They didn't get through it. There was nowhere to rest. And it became a repeat of Grant vs Lee, 79 yrs previously...the most-populous army always wins a war of attrition. One Tiger Eyes..23 opponents. Not very good odds, methinks. But the Capitol creeps will enjoy it.
Guest chapter 10 . 10/1/2015
Poor paddy
Guest chapter 7 . 10/1/2015
Yep I like them both the most
Guest chapter 5 . 10/1/2015
And may the odds ever be in your favie
Guest chapter 4 . 10/1/2015
She could be like bety
Guest chapter 3 . 10/1/2015
He sounds like he has anger issues :)
Guest chapter 2 . 10/1/2015
You mean three also who ever came up with the twins is a absolute genus
Guest chapter 1 . 10/1/2015
I am very interested In it already
Grand Coconut chapter 13 . 5/31/2014
All the tributes are really interesting. I like Audrey a lot.
Grand Coconut chapter 3 . 5/31/2014
Runyon is a bit... Dramatic
original chapter 46 . 5/19/2014
Dang it! I hate lovey-dovey tributes because its like the hunger games books. Was really hoping Salton would die and end the stupid love! Oh I'm really sorry, I'm not insulting you the author, just the character. YAY YOU! :D Boo Salton. Keep on writing!
N0th1N chapter 47 . 4/29/2014
5.) When Teddy died / When Alex died
7.) Interesting layout and such
8.) Keep up the good work :D
N0th1N chapter 43 . 4/29/2014
May the Trent twins live on