Reviews for What We're Fighting For
Sirius: Hey guys, how about we train Harry to be our toy soldier by making sure he has no friends his age or fun of any kind for years on end? Then, just after he hits puberty, let's toss him in with a bunch of other kids and automatically expect him to become the 5th Marauder even though he's never had any friends or fun?

Remus: That sounds like a great idea! He'll get to be extremely confused and uncomfortable and we can laugh and laugh! What a great prank, Padfoot! *strikes toys off shopping list*

Albus: Sirius, mah boy, I agree. After all, Harry does have to save the wizarding world for us so he should give his childhood for the greater good. Yes, for the greater good, no friends or free time for needless fun and frivolity for the boy, I mean, The Savior of the Wizarding World.

Moody: CONSTANT VIGILANCE! Erect perimeter wards to keep all children out so they won't waste his time! No friends! No toys! Fun is a childish waste of time and he's not a child - he's a soldier in training!111!

Still waiting for Harry to get revenge on his cruel masters.
ToMyMuse chapter 7 . 8/16
I’m enjoying this story immensely. The whole concept of Harry being raised in secret is one I’ve only come across maybe one other time in 7 years of reading fanfics. Thanks!
Noodlefan chapter 28 . 8/14
Nice! I really liked it from start to finish and I’m a sucker for happy endings. Thank you!
EdDbookfan1018 chapter 28 . 8/13
This was fantastic. Thank you for writing!
Noodlefan chapter 17 . 8/12
Wow, I was shaking when I read the part leading up to their duel. Would Harry kill him and be seen as a monster? Would Malfoy turn out to be Voldemort in disguise attempting to kill a shocked Harry? What happened surprised me in a good way.
Noodlefan chapter 16 . 8/12
DAYMN Snivellus got destroyed! That was very deserved what he got from Ol’ Dummydoor.
Noodlefan chapter 1 . 8/11
Ooooooh! This was a great start. I LOVE Powerful!Harry, Harry/Hermione (as I excpect this will turn out to be) and HarryIsMeanToMalfoy!Harry. Combined, they will morphe into a sexy experience.
ericasfandom chapter 28 . 8/4
This was the best. The perfect amount of everything and you captured teenage-dom so well! Nothing but LOVE for this story. Thank you so much for sharing! Xx
ReaderBot791 chapter 13 . 8/3
Haha! I think I get it now too

That has to be one of the funniest lines that I've ever read in a fic
ReaderBot791 chapter 5 . 8/3
holy shit hahaha
TeamPotterForLife chapter 28 . 7/31
My my... having read this story twice now, I can still happily say that it remains to be one of the best stories I've read. I'd like to congratulate for the amazing and compelling plot you have created. I'll be back in a few months for yet another re-read.
Zavod chapter 28 . 7/29
In the end I was disappointed.
This review is a bit harsh. Sorry in advance. Avoiding plot spoilers.

On the plus side, there were several scenes that were beautifully written. Some ideas were well explored.

I kept expecting the characters to grow significantly, but you didn't let them move far from the initial concept. I felt that they wanted to grow up, but you wouldn't let then.

Harry could be summarized as: I'm confused by these normal humans.
For a soldier who can adapt to any tactical situation, I found it unbelievable that, even into the epilogue, he was not yet adapted to normal life.

Hermione could be summarized as: despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I'm going to continue to voice my self doubt and fears that Harry will dump me.
This was unbelievable frustrating as you repeatedly seemed to let her start to grow from that, only to beat her back down again.

While I thought that the premise was good, I felt the characters' behaviour strayed so far from believable at times. Phrased differently: characters as smart as then should have been able to adapt given the time available to them.

While some scenes we're particularly well done, such as the lemons, and the dialog where people were actually communicating, and there earlier action. But the final battle didn't work for me: The emotion felt artificial in parts. Characters would swing through actions or thought processes that I didn't feel were appropriate for the moment. The sensation of time and space seemed wrong, and some choices of what action to follow vs. what action was not followed, was a bit disjointed.

Trying to avoid a spoiler... a big conflict I was expecting happened off screen! Later it was recounted, but with far less detail than I thought it deserved, when compared to the detail focused on some lesser conflicts.

So it's unfair to offer a harsh review without putting forth suggestions of what (my opinion) could improve...

Let Hermione grow in strength as a character and not still be so full of self doubt as the end approaches.
Harry learned concepts, but not the importance of them.
I kept hoping for change to these ideas, which didn't come.
Because of this, I found it to be an increasingly frustrating read as the story progressed.

My suggestion to readers is: If you don't like the style after several chapters move on. If you do like it, keep going!
HartleySkarsgard chapter 28 . 7/18
This was an awesome read. I love that you made LB a helpful mate instead of an incessant idiot. I'm glad you didn't drag out the Voldemort death scenes, too. Even your lemons were cute! Thanks for the good read.
Ducky1776 chapter 16 . 7/6
Good lesson from Dumbles. The world isn't beating you down, Severus, you're beating yourself down.
Ducky1776 chapter 13 . 7/5
Just give me the tiramisu and nobody will get hurt. Harry and Hermione can snog their brains out.
2,660 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »