Reviews for Easier to run
twilightmoon777 chapter 48 . 5/16/2016
Great job. Seriously. I'm not pleased with the ending but props to you for going with your gut instead of pandering to your readers. Though the ending left a rather bitter taste in my mouth it still felt strangely suitable given the Lara we are presented with and maybe I'm just optimistic but I even felt a glimmer of hope that, maybe, just maybe, they could end up together anyway even though realistically this is impossible (unless of course Steven meets an untimely end and then Lara, Sam and Hannah can live happily ever after with the haughty horse). Anyway, one thing that bugs me is how incredibly unhealthy and selfish Lara is. I'm brought back to several chapters ago when Sam tells Lara how she doesn't appreciate being treated like one of Lara's prized discoveries - hidden away from the world and put upon a pedestal. She explains how she's a "person" rather than a "thing". That struck me as very interesting comment and I think that's why the ending left such a bitter taste in my mouth. Lara promises Sam not to do that anymore and she turns around and does exactly that anyway. Sam obviously had feelings for Lara, which is why they got together in the first place (also didn't Sam make the first move once Lara showed the tiniest bit of mutual interest?), so to keep the fact that she and Sam were once an "item" after Sam loses her memories of Lara, after saving Lara's life, a secret seems incredibly selfish to me. I get it, it's a tough decision to make but it seemed like the decision was made without any consideration as to what Sam may have wanted. Lara acts based only on her own feelings and her own guilt and insecurities. Sam gets no agency. It's obvious that if Sam hadn't lost her memory she would have chosen Lara with out a doubt which makes this even more depressing. Lara is no longer doing so physically but she is STILL running, she's running away from her feelings for Sam and refusing to address them, thus in many ways we are back to square one. Why is she doing this? To keep Sam safe? Is she afraid that if she tells Sam she won't accept what she is saying as truth and the friendship will end (and she'd rather have Sam as just a friend than not at all)? Again, it's all about Lara. Maybe Sam doesn't want to be safe Lara. Maybe Sam doesn't want to just be your best friend Lara. Also, Sam is stuck settling with Steven whom she obviously isn't entirely happy with. She's ogling at Lara over tea for Christ's sake. Those feelings never went away just because she forgot that they actually hooked up together and that Lara feels the same way. It's almost as if Lara has doomed them both to a muted level of happiness, and what for? And now they are both pinning for each other and Lara has the power to make it right but she's too much of a coward to do so. It's ironic but exasperating as well. That's my only beef, but like I said before, it does sort of fit based on the Lara presented in the story. She's a very broken individual and by the end the pieces have messily been glued back together but I get the feeling that she's just a hairline away from shattering again. It's so sad!
The rest of the story is flawless though! The pacing and the "action" scenes especially are very well written. Lara fighting her doppelganger and the boar and then the 2-3 (?) guards was awesome. I also liked the scene inside the van, the interrogation scene at the hotel, Lara slicing that guy's neck in the woods, etc. Pretty much all of the "action" scenes. They are all incredible unique and therefore memorable. Natla's death was a little anticlimactic but I'm glad she finally got what she deserved and Lara's death/dream/glimpse into hell sequence gave me chills. All and all this was a really great read and I thank you sincerely for your work.
CanniLu chapter 48 . 1/22/2016
This is amazing. Quite the journey.
It sure ended bittersweet...
Goddammit, it destroyed my heart
Adrimore chapter 48 . 1/8/2016
I just finished reading this fic and I don't have enough words to express how much I love it, maybe a thank you for being an incredible writer and definitely I will keep reading all your works
junmiller chapter 1 . 12/25/2015
I read
giftvergiften chapter 20 . 11/21/2015
To be honest, Lara taking a chance at Sam's death a few chapters ago wasn't pretty. Especially after all the things she did. The only thing she could do to redeem herself would be something like intentionally physically hurt herself to protect Sam. You know since Natla doesn't care about Sam, but do need Lara very much. Still love the story so far. Sam's rather a dare-devil in this chapter, gives no shit about the hostage situation lol ;)
Anon chapter 48 . 10/24/2015
Honestly don't know how you wouldn't call this gloomy, at least for Lara in terms of her character and the position she's in now.

She's 'doomed herself' on purpose via refusing to be happy with anyone but Sam, either in the picking of lovers who she knows won't match up, or people she does try with, but subconsciously picks someone who isn't truly available. She denies herself the chance to move on by sheer force of will (or leftover love/lust, whatever you want to call it).

There's 'gloomy' in the sense of Sam being dead at the end, sure, and that would have been muchj moreso a blatant example but...eh.

Not meaning to imply that it's necessary for Lara to win Sam, or even be happy, via a committed relationship or otherwise, but I'd argue that her current status isn't really what one would call healthy, at least, from the way Lara's written in the epilogue here, with regards to her feelings for Sam. And that, in itself, is pretty depressing.

Just...feels like a sour taste that travels backwards to everything that came before it, at least to some degree. But then again, I've never been a 'the journey was worth it' believer, at least when the status quo gets reset to such a large degree.

Ah, well. In any case, congrats on finishing this. Here's to hoping Sam isn't absent in RoTR.
Zeh Whale chapter 48 . 10/20/2015
While you may never read this, I have to leave at least this one review. Also, I have to apologize for noth leaving others throughout the story. I wanted to get through the story as quickly as possible to see what happens next and to get to the ending. Most of the time, it was also because in all my excitement, all I would put is how much I enjoyed a particular moment or chapter. I disnt want to jist be putting that. (I know it would nice to see how much readers enjoy your work, but I'm a weird indiviual.) As many of your other readers, yes, I too was disappinted to not reading the ending I wanted. So much so, the last four chapters of the story had me in agonizing fear and dying hope of what was the ending. As embarrasing as it is, I had a small tantrum, and anxiety attack(not serious attack as can be the real physical condition, but one self induced out of over excited emotion and being overdramatic) reading those chapters.

I am 100% in agreement and satisfaction that you did chose to go with an ending that fit the story, a more cannon ending, rather than ending that would please the readers. You did a wonderful job throughout the story's entirety, especially because I can see it being how Sam and Lara would act outside of the game (this recent game is the only one I've played myself, I haven't read the comics). The detail and to bits of mythological fact and history. All of it was just fantastic! (I'm never really good at expressing myself in detail, so going into depth into why I like this story is, well, just seeming superficial I suppose...) I enjoy stories that stick to the characrers being portrayed to their fandom, with adapting to fit the 'shipped' couple the author desires, if there is one. But I also love AUs that don't have too much character ooc. Enough of my small rambling. Again, I truely enjoyed this story, I look forward to your coming stories. I am intrigued about your original fictions.
AnniBanani838 chapter 48 . 10/5/2015
It took me a while but I got through the whole thing and loved it, I'm a little biased on the ending tho cause I like Lara and Sam together but then ending you chose was excellent too, very well written :)
faunschuetz chapter 48 . 10/4/2015
I hated the end to this story, the story was amazing, but the ending ruined it for me.
CloudedWater chapter 48 . 9/20/2015
I'm not sure how to feel right now. I read all of this in one setting. Took me about six or seven hours but I could not put it down, not even to eat. I just got so deep into the story and the relationship between Sam and Lara. It felt organic and real. Devoid of rose tinted glasses that many authors see fit to fill their stories with. It was just so well written. One part of me just wants to scream when it comes to the ending. I felt it could have worked out between them. Yeah I,like many others, am a sucker for happy endings. I dunno I just felt punched in the gut, all of that build up and then all of the progress is just wiped away.

it just feels empty, hollow and unnecessary in my opinion. I have not felt this way since the ending of mass effect 3. Please don't take this as me flaming you or anything. The fact that this story got to me so deeply shows credit to your amazing writing skills. Damn I feel heartbroken, but maybe that's because I'm actually in a similar situation as Lara. Sorry for rambling on but again I can't stress enough of how damn good of a writer you are. I just need to go read some happy lara/sam fics. I'm gonna be so screwed for the next few days _;
AnniBanani838 chapter 19 . 8/29/2015
Hey, loving the story but I'm a bit confused, I'm reading another story called the camera loves you by Asynca
where they use the same names of Natla And Larson as well as a few others, at first I thought it was a sequel but I'm not sure since the timelines and events don't really Mach up, could you shed some light? Thanks
Guest chapter 48 . 8/12/2015
That's some shit
matthunt101 chapter 48 . 7/29/2015
I have to say I love this fic! As sad as it made me to see Lara without Sam at the end, I understand why you ended it the way you did. I love the LaraxSam pairing and never really saw the ending coming to be honest. All through the story I expected to see them together at the end.
I'm curious however as to why Lara never returned to Macedonia in search of answers from the amazons and deity guarding the Aegis. I would have thought that would have been something she would do.
Overall I really loved this story, and this story arc in general. I hope you continue writing more Tomb Raider stories in the future because your writing is superb. I'd especially love to see an arc where Lara and Sam end up together, or even an alternate arc from the end of Can't Go Home culminating in them ending up together.
Regardless, I hope you keep up the excellent work and continue writing such excellent stories. I look forward to reading more from you.
TheTombDuck chapter 1 . 7/27/2015
This is the best read I've done in a while! Loved every chapter, will defenetly read again! Really need another one now, got nothing to read :)
Skye.Winter chapter 48 . 7/3/2015
Thank you so much for this story! The ending was just perfect
511 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »