Reviews for a soft light rising
Goose Mumps chapter 5 . 12/16/2016
What the hell is going on here? I'm sorry, but this reads like pulp romance
4fanci chapter 5 . 8/18/2016
Very solemn, very tender, with a bit of despair. I'm so glad they have a happy future because this beginning is painful! Very well written! Thank you!
Obs B chapter 2 . 9/20/2015
"the way he faded from the room like sunlight." What a great sentence.
katesie chapter 5 . 4/8/2015
Very, very nice. Thanks!
Sophia Quills chapter 5 . 4/5/2015
This is so beautifully written but I am having SUCH a struggle picturing John and Margaret in this. Is Margaret really such a stoic? Please do not think that I am questioning your choices - I would never do that - I am merely trying to understand your point of view.

But as I said this is an incredibly beautiful piece. I am constantly amazed at the quality of writing I have come across on this forum. Brilliant!
Hunybabe chapter 5 . 4/3/2015
I am so happy you were able to finish this story. It is amazing how the little story ideas can be the hardest to complete. Life really does get in the way sometimes:)

I admit, I read your story multiple times while in process. I love the stories with the forced marriage plot. It's always interesting to see how fans think our favorite couple would handle the situation. The first chapters were perfectly disheartening and the. Chapter 4 made up for it with all its "delicious silence".
I have to say Chapter 5, the epilogue, felt disjointed from the rest of the story. Margaret recognizes her feelings for John after they are married, why would she struggle to voice her feelings? Our Margaret rarely struggled to tell Thornton what she thinks. This felt more like a one-shot from a different AU.

I love your story, but when I read it in the future I'll stop at Chapter 4.
KylieKyotie chapter 5 . 4/2/2015
I enjoyed this very much. They are so stilted with each other - barely able to communicate more because of a strength of feeling as opposed to a lack of it. He can't stand the thought of her leaving but can't stand the thought of her staying if she doesn't truly want to - because he loves her too much to allow anything less than full commitment. Compliance for appearance's sake is unbearable, even though he offered marriage because he couldn't bear her suffering at a loss of reputation and his part in it. On the other hand, she has no idea how to talk to him since she has developed feelings for him but thinks as hers have grown his have died. What a pair! I very much like the scene where they finally have a reckoning. Naturally is was sparked by mutual tempers, but they have a lifetime to learn how to bridge this difference. Since they finally understand that they have a depth of feeling to work with - their problem has to do with expression - at least in terms of spoken words...
Guest chapter 5 . 3/31/2015
I don't quiet understand this chapter. It seems as Margaret is conflicted about her feelings for John, however previous chapters seems to suggest she wanted to make her marriage work as she was in love with him. They seem so happy at the end of chapter four. Don't get me wrong. I love this story and I have read it over and over again many times. Perhaps you might want to add another chapter or two to clarify what is happening here (wink). Please don't let it end like this.
TashaRose chapter 4 . 3/25/2015
Excellent ending.
TashaRose chapter 1 . 3/25/2015
An interesting other possibility. Good start.
Guest chapter 4 . 3/18/2015
Loved it. So sweet!
At Leisure chapter 4 . 9/11/2014
I've finished reading North and South a couple of days back and am now binging through all available fanfiction of the story. This is my 6th or maybe 7th story and definitely the best. I love everything about it except one: why is it so short? You must write a longer one because I loved your writing style as did many others...I'm sure.
Guest chapter 4 . 5/13/2014
Well aren't they a cute couple?

I was delighted with their conversations. It all seemed so naturally for them to speak that way. You did a good job in keeping them in character.
f U n N i E b O n E s 2K chapter 3 . 5/5/2014
I thoroughly enjoy your less-is-more concept. When are you updating this?
Guest chapter 4 . 4/24/2014
Oh, please give us one more chapter. This was so beautiful.