Reviews for Protector
Nox chapter 6 . 10/4/2016
Very good.
chisscientist chapter 6 . 8/3/2016
A very interesting series this has been. Thank you.
chisscientist chapter 4 . 8/3/2016
Arrgh! Pray, and beg Eru to release you from that confounded oath, you fools of Feanorians. At times, Maglor and Maedhros make me want to bang my head against the wall. Not literally, but figuratively of course.
LCAAS chapter 6 . 5/1/2016
As sad as I am to see this series end, thank you SO MUCH for writing it, I thoroughly enjoyed ever part of it, even if this is the first time I have reviewed (apologies I am slow)
HaloFin17 chapter 6 . 4/17/2016
I'm glad you decided to write out the full exchange between Elrond and Maglor about sailing West, which you had mentioned briefly in "Seeing Stones." It's a big moment that your whole series has been building up to for some time, and I think it's a perfect way to wrap things up.

It may not answer every question: such as what happens when they reach Valinor, or if/when Maedhros will finally decide to sail himself. But Tolkien never gave us all the answers either, and I feel like this is done in the same spirit. Gives sufficient closure to say "the end," but leaves enough open to keep a reader's imagination engaged with the future.

This whole "Lingering" series has been a beautiful adventure, and I'm fortunate to have been a part of it!

Your friend,
Halo

P.S. I meant to recommend posting these two chapters at the same time, because I felt that they read really well together. Obviously I forgot, but it doesn't matter because you did it anyway! Great minds thinking alike, once again ;-)
HaloFin17 chapter 5 . 4/17/2016
I feel like this chapter goes a long way summarizing the whole "Lingering" series mostly for Elrond and Maedhros. Elrond addresses his complex relationship with them in a very straight-forward manner, and reflects on how Maedhros has been able to redirect his talents and energies in a mostly positive direction for the Second and Third Ages.

And something tells me the following chapter will delve deeper into Maglor's experience within this alternate universe...

Laerthel chapter 6 . 4/16/2016
I honestly thank you for this series! I truly loved them. I feel rather sorry that it comes to an end, but I understand your reason perfectly. I've had similar problems with one of my works, though never published...
These stories are truly enticing and they make the reader wonder "what if". This is the kind of AU I'd like: the kind that fits in the frames of the world of Middle-Earth with well-captured characters and accurate descriptions.
May I ask whether you're planning to continue writing within Professor Tolkien's universe?
Guest chapter 4 . 5/29/2015
next chapter please
BleachmyNARUTO chapter 4 . 3/4/2015
I would love to see the tension of the FeƤnorians passing through the Woodland Realm!
HaloFin17 chapter 4 . 2/12/2015
It struck me that you could easily have posted this as a second chapter of "The Jewel", showing things from a different perspective. But I like how you chose to include as part of "Protector" instead, because so much is focused on how Elrond & Friends can protect Middle Earth from Maedhros & Maglor, if indeed a Silmaril had been unearthed. And in a way, poor Elrond desperately wants to protect the brothers from themselves as well.

The way you balance the tension and the drama is just stellar, especially if one rushes off after this to reread "The Jewel" and tie everything together :-)

I also enjoyed your tiny tweak to the line about Thranduil there at the end. Now that the movies have given me such a compelling visual (if nothing else) for his character, I find myself gobbling up all your references to him ;-)
TheSandGirl chapter 4 . 2/11/2015
This chapter made me a tad sad to be honest. For some reason, reading it from Elrond's point of view, paints the picture in an even bleaker light in comparison to its "Jewel" counterpart. The disappointment and the frustrating helplessness that Elrond experienced is acutely felt by the reader. It's almost as if he was embarassed and he wanted them to be higher than that. In this story, I guess Elrond would have liked to think that his fathers were able let go of the oath, and were generally not the people everybody accused them of being - controlled by a mad quest.

But it all ultimately amounts to the shame both Makalaure and Maitimo might have felt once their judgement wasn't clouded anymore by thoughts of the Silmaril. I can imagine the relationship between them and Elrond would have been just a tiny bit strained for some time.

Arwen being in tears made me almost tear up myself. Especially since Makalaure and her are especially close.

Basicially, this chapter made me want to hug every character in that story, except for the dwarves :D I doubt they do hugs, more like head-butts, haha!

Thank you for posting this so quickly! It was a pleasant surprise.
Beloved Daughter chapter 4 . 2/10/2015
Oh boy... I can't help but wonder where this is time-wise. Thrain is king... could be really interesting if everyone showed up at Erebor only for Smaug to attack... :P
HaloFin17 chapter 3 . 2/8/2015
Glorfindel's appearance was a most pleasant surprise! Reading the beginning, I thought for sure the third visitor would be Saruman; but I think Glorfindel's inclusion worked much better. He and Gandalf are just two more "protectors" for you to work with.

I like how not only does the "protector" vary from chapter to chapter, but who's being protected can change, too. Like, Gandalf is here more for Middle Earth as a whole, while I feel that Glorfindel is more concerned with protecting Elrond personally. As for Maedhros, we know he's intent on seeing the Darkness defeated, but I'm sure he'd also do just about anything to protect Elrond or Maglor. Or even Elrond's children, probably.

I really enjoyed how Elrond could sense Gandalf's possession of Narya, and how he mentioned trusting Cirdan's instincts in regard to passing it on. But my favorite part by far was the scene where Glorfindel gets enough wine in him to ask about Elrond's childhood with the sons of Feanor. Your portrayal of his time with them matches exactly how I envision it, as well. No big surprise there, my kindred spirit! And I love how Elrond remains diplomatic about it, but he still does just enough to stick up for his relationship with the brothers.

Very nice piece!
TheSandGirl chapter 3 . 2/8/2015
I'm so happy you have updated this story! The Lingering Series is one of my favourite series from the Tolkien fandom.

I'm glad this chapter has included Glorfindel's (or my preferred Quenya name for him - Laurefindil) arrival in Ennor and Imladris. Along with Makalaure, Maitimo and Elrond, he's one of my most favourite characters from the Tolkien universe.

Your writing flows with ease and expresses a vast array of emotions, with perfect proportions between the descriptive and narrative parts, whereas the dialogue breathes life into it.

The Lingering Series, though an AU, seems very canon-like in its development. I find your characters very believeable and I cannot wait for new events to unfold in your story. Keep up the good work!
Beloved Daughter chapter 3 . 2/6/2015
And so the wizards and Glorfindel arrive. Love it. Also love the little touches like Maedhros and Maglor stopping offering their arms because people snub them...