Reviews for Reign of the Serpent
Eager chapter 12 . 5/18
This is honestly the best large-scale HP AU I have seen in a while, and I am super invested in it! I hope you can find time to update again soon, because I love this story so much. Please don't let this be another one of those great fics that is left unfinished! I love you. Please update!
duzzntmatter chapter 12 . 5/7
Just read this story in one sitting. Fantastic job. It's so nice to see an interesting and original AU that isn't just the same old cliches. I'm really glad you don't bash any of the characters, and I find all of them believable in the context of this changed world. I admit I hope Hermione does not befriend and betray Harry, but just take that to mean you've gotten me invested. I can't wait to see how she develops and which (if any) vision turns out to be true.

I absolutely love how you've changed the dynamics of the Trio in a way that makes sense and doesn't demean any of them. I hope Hermione can learn to trust Harry and Ron (and Neville!) some day, but I totally understand why she doesn't and it's great to see her as a leader in her own right, not under Harry's shadow.

Dean is one of my favorite minor characters and it's really nice to see him front and center here. Apparently he was originally meant to be a major character in the books! I'm curious as to whether you are planning to use his background from JKR's interviews here (that his father was a wizard who left his family to protect them, but Dean and his mother were not aware).

I'm looking forward to more of this and have subscribed to make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks for the great story!
Ahh I am LOVING this AU, the characterisation is SPOT ON, the friendships she's forged are awesome, and the relationships are all really nuanced and I just want to keep reading! Update soon if you can! I love your Hermione and I hope she interacts more with Riddle, he sounds great too. So looking forward to more!
rizzie8 chapter 12 . 5/2
I loved this chapter. I read it right when it was posted, and I've been checking for updates. Please update soon I don't think I can wait any longer. I need to know what happens.
PercyPotterPopsicle chapter 12 . 4/24
Please update I am begging you!
Dictator4Life chapter 1 . 4/5
Okay, I just read some of the other reviews and I'm pretty appalled. This work is incredible, your writing style is incredibly engaging, your world and your plot are damn near perfect, and yet all these people are complaining? I definitely don't see the issue, as all of the factors I don't like (Ron) are due to my preconceived opinions of the characters, and have nothing to do with your interpretations. Keep awesome.
Dictator4Life chapter 12 . 4/5
This was amazing! Best chapter yet. I loved the Merlin spell - each vision was worth its own story, especially the one with wings of fire. Will Hermione encounter more Merlin/Founder things? Why did the book appear to her? I also love the groundskeepers and Hermione's interactions with them, especially the dogs. I love this world you've created and I want a million stories to be told, like the Death Eaters' and Lily's and the Mudhouse children's. Thank you for this.
Evani chapter 12 . 3/28
I love how canonical hermione is while she has an original twist. Thank you for writing this, it's brilliant, and I so can't wait for an update :)
Jarno chapter 12 . 3/27
It's an interesting chapter though I don't really agree with your characters. Hermione's development goes to fast in my opinion, she's leaving the rest behind. The same goes for Ron. Ron would make the worst field leader of the group. The main requirement for a field leader is having nerves of steel. Ron has nerves made of spaghetti.

And also, in a Machiavellian way, Draco is about the easiest character to play with for Hermione. Draco has given her time, has shown his character weakness and has shown at least some of his goals. At this point you act as if you are following his orders, bolster his pride, use his influence to increase your power and then you utterly and completely destroy him. Draco is biding his time, that is the path to take when you are in the weaker position. As Draco is now still in the stronger position, he should destroy Harry as soon as he can. Now he just gives Harry time to grow untill he outshadows Draco.
FaeBreeze chapter 12 . 3/21
Shit! She really needs to find a way out of Malfoy's clutches...reverse blackmail maybe? I liked the different visions of her future and I hope you begin to speed the timeline up a bit. There's only so much damage a pre-pubescent Hermione can do to Salazar's regime. Excellent story so far!
Cillit Bang Bang chapter 12 . 3/21
Magical cores... *winces* I know it has no bearing on the story in your case, and it's appropriately minor, but... Pet peeve of mine.

Also, a common mistake by writers with an American background (Okay, the profile says singapore, but... I don't know, cultural diffision?) - garter snakes. Don't exist in Europe. Garden snakes would fill the role in terms of harmlessness amd being found in the relevant geographical area. Well, not Scotland, but England, anyway. Again, minor, but I figure plenty of authors appreciate getting that kind of detail right.

'The trees there are all dead' - great line. And great job with the death eaters - too often, people forget that the only death eater who we learn was actually wealthy was Malfoy. Macnair, the Carrows et al never particularly gave the impression of wealth or refined culture/ manners. The Malfoys not being death eaters in this AU, while the impoverished lower class Purebloods actually did serve at the border under Riddle... Highly appropriate. Appreciated it a great deal. And you really get the frustrated veteran thing - some trying to come to terms with their past, others reminiscensing about past glories - across. Extremely well done.

Difficult position for Hermione, between Harry and Draco, but ultimately... As he is now (People can change over time, of course), with Harry the empire loyalist, well... Draco is legitimately the better choice, risk of being dependent on his goodwill, and potentially being dropped like a hot potato notwithstanding (Not that I expect Hermione to be cold-blooded enough to act on a purely rational basis. She's a person, not a robot). Hermione is pretty much following in Riddle's footsteps here - I sincerely doubt Riddle was 'Surprised' by Harry in the previous chapter. Pretty sure he saw in Harry what he saw in Hermione and sees in himself - a person wronged by the empire, a person that wants revenge, a tool he can use. When it turned out that Harry didn't match his expectations... Obliviate.
Jozern chapter 12 . 3/21
Oh dang. Poor Hermione. Don't go over to the dark side Hermione! Don't give in. Dean and Justin you better get her out of her flunk. I can't wait to read what will happen to the gang at Harry's. Hopefully Lily might offer some (mostlikely indirect) help to Hermione. more please.
pawsrule chapter 12 . 3/21
Awesome update! I hope that Hermione finds a way out of betraying Harry to Draco. Loved the future scenarios, though all the ones we were shown were sad. Please update when u can!
Pahan chapter 12 . 3/21
Very good chapter, and good update rate.

Hermione's "spiritual journey" came a bit out of nowhere and could have used a bit more setup - coming off as Hermione being Extra Special Chosen by Merlin Himself, and the dire warnings about undertaking it ended up falling a bit flat, when she didn't have any actual trouble getting back. (I strongly suspect that it was actually a plant by another character, to nudge her in a certain direction.)

The spiritual journey itself was fascinating, however, and her befriending the "groundskeepers" was excellent, however.

Harry grew up a bit - accepting that sometimes, he is not going to be the king but the sacrificial pawn.

Draco's blackmailing of Hermione made sense, and yet I think that he is making a mistake, thinking that he is being oh-so-insidious, even though he has no practical way to keep Hermione from feeding him false information or turning on him if she decides that the information he has on her going public is a price worth paying. (It's not like it's anything illegal.)
RebeccaRoy chapter 11 . 3/21
Wow, having them loose there first match was actually good, they are after all first years and how are they to learn if they win with pure dumb luck? Riddle, ah he is a sneaky one isn't he?