Reviews for Voices in the Wilderness
RavenLady chapter 7 . 5/14/2003
This is a brilliant story!
Deborah Judge chapter 4 . 10/6/2002
Awww...Feanorians in love are just the cutest thing in the world. I'm glad Curufin loves his wife, and they seem to even have a good marriage, which is much better than I was expecting. Even if it's just something else for him to lose later on.
Deborah Judge chapter 3 . 10/6/2002
Well, boys will be boys I guess. Still I just want to knock their heads together. Alright, so both their fathers are acting like raging idiots, but why do they have to pick it up? They both have perfectly valid points, but why are they so unable to hear earh other?
Deborah Judge chapter 2 . 10/6/2002
Catching up on reviews...

Finwe never fails to get on my nerves. Here he's sure he can save Feanor - and meanwhile dumps the responsibility for the kingdom on a son whon really can't handle it. He's trying to do the caretaking now that he was to, um, preoccupied to do when Feanor needed it as a child. But it's a little late.
Finch chapter 7 . 10/3/2002
A worthy conclusion. What you show us here is that the mind of Morgoth (compliments on daring to write him!), a Vala by nature made to be the greatest of all, is narrower than that of the six others. It also serves to make clear that, in contrast, Feanor isn't evil as much as misguided and blinded.

Great!
Finch chapter 6 . 10/3/2002
I just realised, belatedly, that in addition to giving us different and diverging views of the same event, you're also moving the story forward a little with each POV.

This chapter strikes me as being both melancholy, with its image of the empty house, and hopeful. Fortunately, Fingon isn't the one to start nursing grievances, and I'm happy he found the cloak pin.
Finch chapter 5 . 10/2/2002
A pity that in the end Fingolfin seems to forget a throne is a poor substitute for a father. I wonder what Finwe would have done if Fingolfin had adamantly refused to be king. And what does he get out of it, given the fact that he ends up saying to Feanor: You will lead and I will follow?
Finch chapter 4 . 10/2/2002
For some reason - hindsight, probably - this is the saddest chapter so far. Callote and Curufin really make a nice couple, and she does her best to remain hopeful. But you know it won't last, you know she will lose the child to his father, and I don't even want to think of the end the child will meet one day.

When I read this, I don't want to understand Feanor anymore!
Finch chapter 3 . 10/2/2002
And so, there are moments when loyalty towards your parents is merely the next best thing. A pity they can't see this. A pity they get carried away by their own sentiments and so called arguments. But that's drama.
Finch chapter 2 . 10/2/2002
It's good to see Finwe is not just being partial towards Feanor. He has been treated rather shabbily by the Valar. Yet in the scene with his other sons you make the reader wonder if the Valar did not actualy see something Finwe missed. Very cleverly done!
Finch chapter 1 . 10/2/2002
Very compelling. It's tempting to agree completely with Feanor, and to forget he was wrong and deserved to be corrected in some way. You manage to show both the strength of his personality and the flaws of his character.
Maia1 chapter 6 . 10/1/2002
This story reminds me of a stone dropped in a pool, and the ripples moving outward from that single event. Feanor's banishment doesn't just impact Feanor, it affects around him, and everyone around them, and everyone around them...

You portray the ripple effect just beautifully.

Finwe has a point about the Valar not trusting him. 'Sfunny, but I realized when I read this that I've never thought of Finwe as a king. He doesn't seem to have any actual power; it is the Valar who are really in charge. And perhaps that is one of the roots of the problem... (Says Gwindor, who still thinks the Valar's proper role was to defend the Elves against powers too great for them to handle, i.e. Morgoth-NOT to govern them or summon them to Aman)

Fingon's exploration of Feanor's shop is so moving. How much does he know his friend? How much does anyone know anyone else?

It's a wonderful story.
jillian baade chapter 7 . 9/28/2002
Sad that the only thing that woke Feanor up to Melkor was the threat to the Simarils. Well, we all know what Feanor's obcession with the Silmarils lead to. I respect your courage for writing Melkor, and managing to do a very good job of looking into the mind of such a complex being. But he's not all powerful as he thinks, his greatest mistake of all.
jillian baade chapter 6 . 9/28/2002
Poor old Fingon, being so close to the throne is no fun, eh. And I'll bet your Dad discovered that one to. He misses his friend, and is starting to grow up and realise that whatever differences exist between his father and Feanor need not affect his friendship with Maedhros.
jillian baade chapter 5 . 9/28/2002
I don't like that Fingolfin thinks he's won. I didn't know there should a fight to win between brothers.I can't help but feel that Finwe unwittingly created this situation between the brothers, sadly for all concerned.
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »