Reviews for Loves icy journy
Al Kristopher chapter 7 . 8/10/2015
I'm not sure exactly why you consider so many of your reviews to be bad (or "flaming"), except perhaps that some people are so idiotically wedged in the comfort zone of Ami/Makoto that they refuse to see anything else, BUT! I will go out on a limb and say that maybe a few of them had something a little more intellectual in mind.

That is, mainly, plausibility. I'm not talking about "would Ami and Minako be a believable couple", because that doesn't matter right now. To be totally fair, even Ami/Makoto is not THAT believable (considering Makoto's track record); besides, not only can I buy an AMinako, but I ship it zealously. What I mean by "plausibility" is the plausibility behind the "romance" angle in your story. And let's both be realistic: it isn't there.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or it couldn't work. But you strangely seem to go out of your way to demonstrate not only how it couldn't work, but shouldn't. The word "forcing" comes to mind. Minako takes an incredibly flawed and backwards approach to this relationship (the stale cliches of "because why not" or "everyone else is paired up, so..." come to mind), and because she is set on this path, she feels she has to see it through, to the point of being stubborn and more than a little disturbing. Ami said "no" and made her decision abundantly clear throughout the story, and yet Minako continued pursuing it in spite of her friend's statement. How is this romantic? Adding onto this is the fact that Minako doesn't really seem to feel anything for Ami, other than the willfullness to see all this through to the end. How is that romantic? If you wrote about Minako's feelings guiding her, rather than an impromptu decision, people could relate and follow you. If Ami had been more receptive, even reluctantly so, it would've been believable. I honestly don't know what you were trying to accomplish with this but obviously you went about it in a very wrong way.

My rating for this story is a deflated ball out of ten. I was really looking forward to a good AMinako story; there are so very few. I realize it's a quirky, unusual pairing, but it IS feasible if given a little bit of effort. However, what should have been simple and fun turned out to be flat and disappointing, maintaining itself in name only. You've got the basics of writing down and can work on a fairly good intermediate level (which is almost always my complaint with writers), but you really need to know what you're selling, and then sell exactly that. Unmotivated and unwilling don't exactly make for a love story.
Ashen Author chapter 7 . 7/24/2013
I'm not one to speak about depression with experience, but I can definitely speak about novels. 1/3 in a year is pretty good for the first time. I've known cases where it took as long as seven years to get a book done, and that was the second one.
So don't sell yourself short. After all this time you've obviously abandoned this story, but whatever you write I hope it goes well.
Twitchy-Tail chapter 7 . 8/25/2009
this was a vary cute storie, to bad you had to stop but that's reasonable speculy with all that kinda stuff going on.
Chiyo And Osaka Fan chapter 7 . 1/10/2009
I love the story and if anyone flames you just give them the bird and just continue on and keep on keeping on because this is a great story and those morons are just missing out.
Nuben290 chapter 7 . 7/20/2008
hi hi i am very sorry with all the crap you went through and that you had to stop the story. but i love this story very much and even if you did get flames, just know that you still have fans after 5 years
LowFlyer1080 chapter 7 . 7/8/2008
Don't listen to them. They don't know what's good. And, if they don't like it, tell them to kiss your ass. I may not be as big a fan of Haruka/Michiru as you are but your Touch of Wood, Beauty of Water (leading right up to the last one A Weaving of Destiny) series of stories has always been a favorite of mine.

Flames will come about writing, yes. Even I haven't escaped them, although i may have gotten off quite a bit easier by the sounds of it. Don't ever let them win. When they get tough you gotta get tougher. Drop your shoulder, tighten up your muscles, and plow on through. And if it seems like it's too much, that's when you call in backup. My shoulders have seen alot of abuse, but they're still willing to take more punishment if it's for a friend :). And as long as you follow this one simple rule that is a favorite of my friend Thorn on a Rose, you will never be a 'bad writer' no matter what others may tell you:

Write from the heart.

-LF1080
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 7 . 6/6/2008
Too short. I understand all about depression because I suffer from it too. Don't listen to the flames. I love this story. I hope you decide to write more some day.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 6 . 6/6/2008
This is getting cute.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 5 . 6/6/2008
Chapters are getting too short.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 4 . 6/6/2008
Need to put a line break at the end of the chapters between the acutal chapter and the author notes. Otherwise the reader keeps on reading and gets confused for a minute.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 3 . 6/6/2008
Wish my mom had been that nice.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 2 . 6/6/2008
Poor Minako. That was a flat turned.
Ruka-Roxy83 chapter 1 . 6/6/2008
Haruka loves to tease.
Enshi chapter 7 . 3/7/2008
And just like that, you picked up and left this place? Too bad, really. At this snapshot (admittedly several years back) You're rough and a little wet behind the ears, but you are far from the worst writer I've seen, even published. Actually you don't do half bad without even a proofer to help you catch things like, "A moments though and she earrings earrings she had been considering back." A bit of work with an editor that's worth half of what she's getting paid would probably help tremendously.

As for the story, it's an amusing, if short read- I like your presentation of Haruka, though the whole thing loses something in how you format it (feel free to blame this place for that, however). One thing that needs to happen is the paring of the author's notes. They're informative, sure, but they would fill several novel pages on their own right- A bit much, no? They also make the chapter breaks a bit uncomfortable from the amount of insecurity you show. Second, a good thorough proofing, to catch all the misplaced punctuation and misspellings. Nothing ruins suspension of disbelief in a written work like a lack of editorial polish. And speaking of which, there are a lot of small tweaks that could be made to allow the story to read easier and be more descriptive at the same time (though my impression is that you understand that less really is more at some level- I recall none of the Hawthornian bogging that makes Hester Prynne such a pain to read about).

Of course, I'm probably rambling at you to no avail and you'll never even see this. My fault, I suppose. Anyway, don't drop your pen, and maybe you'll show up before my desk some time.

-Enshi

PS: The average manuscript page runs about 250-300 words. Though you may know this very well by now. ;)
Morte d'Amour chapter 7 . 1/19/2008
Wow, brilliant story. It's a shame that it's been a while since it was last updated... Well done anyway. :)