Reviews for Faintest, Slimmest, Wildest Chance
Norman chapter 42 . 3/24/2019
I know it's been years, but wow, that was an amazing fanfic. Thank you so much for putting in the effort, it's much appreciated!
xTopazz chapter 42 . 3/24/2019
Hey just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed reading this masterpiece in the span of like 3 days and feel a bit of a void now that I completed it. The interactions with Ginny and the rest of the Weasleys felt exactly how I think their relationships would be, a lot of teasing and joking, but really loving and caring towards each other when it's needed. I really felt connected to Ginny and Harry during the story and also how they developed their own relationship with each other: Harry reluctant to let others close to him and Ginny more abrupt, impulsive? (not sure english word).

All with all, thank you a lot for this story, I'm desperatly trying to search other fics right now to fill up that void a bit, unless you got some suggestions for me maybe?
Pazza1995 chapter 27 . 3/15/2019
I like the opening scene, with Mrs Weasley realising that the most therapeutic thing she could do is keep busy, remember the good times and spend time with her living children. And Ginny was always her favourite child. I also like the continuing reference to things happening 'off screen' as it were, as well as everyone living their lives.

When it comes to Hermione's house, it is plausible that they could live there. It is even plausible for them to be able to afford to buy a house like that (I am aware it was inherited). I did a bit of research. A fully qualified dentist with a General Practice could expect to earn between £50,000 and £150,000 a year, depending on the proportion of NHS to private clients they took on, resulting in a plausible combined income of up to £300,000 per year. A house like what you imagine could reasonably be purchased for between £1 million to £5 million, dependant on the area of the country in which it resides. A word of warning though, be careful using the word 'stately' when talking about property in Britain, as it is a word most commonly associated with MUCH larger properties. Like, mansions the size of the White House, or even bigger. If you want a 'typical' British suburban home, look no further than the house that the Dursleys live in. The films got it spot on. We may fetishise our past, but that doesn't mean we don't move forwards at the same time.

I think your description of the most important part of a home was spot on. Nice houses are not always better to live in, especially if the occupants are unpleasant. I for one would rather live in a shack with my best friends than a mansion with my worst enemy.

The family discussing the progress of the trials is a good use of current events to further expand on history. Giving some further backstory on the deaths of Molly's brothers adds a personal touch to the progress, as half the Weasleys remember them and want justice to be served in their memories. As for the Malfoys, I can easily see them getting lighter sentences, as a result of the level of coercion and remorse that could have been shown to have existed, especially with regards to Draco. Everything he ever did was coerced.

The continuing development between Ginny and Fleur is a welcome sight, as I am desperate for Ginny to recognise how completely Fleur has changed. Fleur's character arc is one of my favourites, as she changes so completely from a quite arrogant, self centred girl into a gracious and helpful woman. I want nothing more than for Ginny to see Fleur as another big sister, alongside Hermione. Fleur offering an ear for Ginny to talk about Harry is, I believe, the beginning of a long and wonderful friendship between the two of them, as Ginny realises how trustworthy Fleur would be. Ginny splashing Bill made me laugh. Me and my siblings still do that to each other, and we are all in our 20s.

In the final scene, it seems appropriate that Ginny is the one who keeps almost slipping up and using magical terminology, and that she was the only one to not fully understand the effect Hermione's actions would have had on her parents, with Ron having been there to see their discomfort and Harry having dealt with people who were sensitive around magic for his entire childhood.
Pazza1995 chapter 26 . 3/15/2019
Ginny has always been the strong, confident one. We very rarely see her upset or nervous about anything (after Chamber of Secrets). To see her so nervous about her relationship with Harry is a testament to how much Harry means to her. And the fact that she is so nervous about the progress, or lack thereof, that she confides in one of her brothers (to me) further shows how desperate she is. The fact that it is Charlie seems ultimately right to me. As you implied, Charlie was the best of what was left. Ginny wanted to ask Hermione, because she knows Harry better than anyone alive, or George because they are so much closer. But Hermione is 12,000 miles away and George is in no state to give advice to anyone. It was never going to be Percy, because he is ultimately still a snooty twit, and Bill was simply too protective of her to help in any way. So Charlie it is.

I like Charlie's advice. Ultimately, it is exactly the same advice Hermione gave her years earlier. Back off, relax and let things progress naturally. By this stage, Charlie will have had more than enough time to observe them properly as a couple, and he will have come to the inevitable conclusion that they make each other happier. He knows Harry isn't going anywhere (at least not deliberately. Harry does attract trouble with alarming frequency). On a final note, I like that you filled that particular gap in lore. There is no way there was no sex going on at Hogwarts, and the lack of pregnant students implied a magical solution. To have it made reference to directly adds something small but important to the overall universe.

The situation with Hermione's parents is extremely realistic, and handled well (in that most of the characters understand why they are upset). Percy's pompous inability to recognise his lack of authority in the area of abandonment is, I suspect, a defence mechanism of sorts. He has always seemed to default to assuming that he is right, unless overwhelming evidence to the contrary is presented.

Bill trying to weigh in is excellent. I will continue to congratulate you on how well you characterise the sibling relationships, especially considering your lack of direct experience. In any argument, the oldest sibling present (who isn't involved) would often try to arbitrate. It usually didn't work but the effort was there.

Ginny going to see Percy was nice. It shows, backing up earlier statements, that she truly loves all of her brothers and doesn't want any of them to be left without support. Getting another perspective on the Christmas visit in HBP was really interesting, especially when Percy reveals that he didn't invite Scrimgeour. It humanises the least likable Weasley, showing that he did his best to mend things, but was a victim of assumptions and prejudice at the hands of his siblings. It shifts the blame, and makes the whole situation more complex and ultimately believable (how often is it only one person's fault? Blame is usually shared by many in family feuds).

It is also lovely to see that Percy took Bill's advice and got a table. Not only will it help his chances with the witches (cough Audrey cough), but the simple addition of a table turns a flat from a glorified hotel room into a home.
Pazza1995 chapter 25 . 3/5/2019
Oh God, that first paragraph is so familiar, it is not even funny! The number of times that has happened to me is not something I want to think about.

The fact that you made so clear what Harry had been doing without outright saying it is very impressive. Not everyone could do that, or would even want to. The modicum of subtlety is what sets your story above others that I have read. The fact that Harry was masturbating is another reminder that he is still only a teenager, a fact that really cannot be stated enough in my opinion. He is young and impulsive, as well as overwhelmingly hormonal.

Ginny's forwardness is a good continuation of her earlier frustration at the rate of progress in the relationship. She was desperate to make sure her and Harry had had sex before she went back to Hogwarts. It is clear that she was also feeling somewhat hormonal, and she needed an outlet for that sexual frustration. However, unlike Harry, she had no qualms about trying to initiate something with Harry to relieve her sexual tension. I am sure that, had they been elsewhere, they would have gone all the way. However, Harry being reminded of the surroundings brought back all of his fears and insecurities, leading to a quite poorly thought out move of pushing Ginny out of the bed. However, I am also sure that, if they had gone all the way, they both would have deeply regretted it later when their heads cleared.

Harry's reluctance to go and see Ginny afterwards is a good indicator of his compete inexperience with the fairer sex. It is actually something I do quite often, and usually not with women. Simply, if I don't really want to confront something awkward or embarrassing, I simply don't confront it, sometimes for days at a time. However, as is the case here, eventually you must bite the bullet and just get it over with.

It is amusing that Harry tries to work out if Ginny is on her period before he goes to see her, partially because that would inform his decision as to whether to talk to her (for someone who has fought so many people on so many different occasions, Harry has never been very good at confrontation), but also possibly to explain why she did it in the first place. Even someone as unfamiliar at sex as Harry would have worked out that girls seem to be more moody (and occasionally flirty) at certain times, and that might be related to a girl's cycle.

Their argument at the willow tree explains beautifully the reason for Harry's actions, as well as taking the wind out of Ginny's sails. The fact that Harry was so terrified of losing the Weasleys is heartbreaking, but also not surprising, as it has been addressed elsewhere in this story that Harry has a hard time believing anyone really cares about him, an unfortunate side effect of his upbringing. And Ginny's as always unerring ability to get to the root of Harry's worries and fully address it, reassuring Harry in a way that only she can, is yet another display of how good she is for him. Without Ginny, Harry would be nearly catatonic with regrets and worries.

I love that they both seem to have the ability to take any event, good or bad, and use it as an opportunity to propel their relationship in the right direction. It shows how mature they are (not surprising given what they have been through).
Pazza1995 chapter 24 . 3/5/2019
I like how Andromeda keeps giving extremely detailed instructions, as it makes clear how worried she is to be leaving him, even if she is confident that Harry and Ginny can handle things. It is clear how attached she is to Teddy, and how protective she could be. This does make sense, as Teddy is literally all she has left of her only daughter. Interestingly, it also shows how, despite the fact she had an adult daughter, I get the feeling that she is actually relatively inexperienced, as she only had one baby. As an example of the other side of the spectrum, my own mother was always much more relaxed about the whole thing with my niece, which makes sense when you consider that she had 6 children of her own. At the peak, she had the last 3 of us within the span of 2 years (my brother was born at the end of July in '93, my sister was born at the end of June '94 and I was born at the end of May '95). Ginny's blaise attitude is typical of her, never quite taking things as seriously as she perhaps should (though to be honest, taking care of a small baby is easy. They really don't do much until they hit around 6 months).

Harry revealing how he accidentally destroyed Luna's house is also funny, as it comes as a complete shock to Ginny that Harry was involved. It reveals that there is still a lot that Harry has neglected to tell Ginny, though in this case it is likely because it is less important than other events. And Ginny needling Harry about it was excellent, as Ginny always knew just how to mess with Harry.

The Letter from the Ministry was logical, as even in the worst of times, laws must still be upheld. In fact, it is at times like that where they must be upheld more than ever, as people's faith and trust in the Government's ability to lead effectively will have to be restored, or anarchy will begin to spread as people follow their own rules.

I also agree with Ginny that it is fantastic to see Molly up and acting more normally, as the Burrow would have felt sad and strange without her bustling around like the Mother Hen she is.
Guest chapter 22 . 3/1/2019
Ginny has never tried Harry’s Firebolt? What did she use when playing Seeker in his place? One of the School brooms? That’s stupid. No, no, she used his Firebolt.
Pazza1995 chapter 23 . 3/2/2019
Ah, it has arrived. The Chapter so many of your readers waited and complained about. Where Harry tells Ginny about Horcruxes. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I don't usually mention it, but a note in answer to your pre-chapter question. The exact dates of events are not terribly important to me. The only dates that matter are ones that refer to birthdays and such. However, I will note that your timeline is working, in that you do put in references to how much time has passed since something happened. If there were a way I could suggest if you want a firmer timeline, when you want someone to know when something is, make a roundabout reference to something set. For example, if you make reference to how Harry and Ginny's relationship has developed in the two months since the Battle, we would immediately know the scene takes place on the 2nd of July. If you then say that it has been a week and a half since Harry told Ginny about the Horcruxes, we will have a good sense of around the date that the conversation happened. Hope my ramblings give you something to think about.

The whole conversation Bill has with his father is extremely illuminating. It confirms Bill's protectiveness of his younger siblings, and it also reveals tha he has been helping everyone else, to the detriment of his own healing process. The fact that when queried about how he was doing, Bill listed how he was helping everyone else rather than how he felt was very sweet of him, as he was clearly thinking of everyone else first. However, he has neglected to seek support himself. Arthur's suggestion to talk to Fleur was a typical move, and a smart one. Fleur has more than proved herself worthy to be trusted to be able to handle Bill's problems, and to support his recovery.

Arthur reprimanding Bill hits close to home. Parents never stop doing that, no matter how old the children get. And his words about Percy showed how much he had thought about it. He understood why Percy left, and was desperately trying to remedy the situation before it repeated itself and Percy left again.

Mr Weasley being perfectly happy with Harry and Ginny's relationship shows his unique perspective. Him and Molly, like Harry and Ginny, fell in love as teenagers. Arthur knows what that looks like. And he recognises that what Harry and Ginny have is the real deal. His pointing out of Bill's hypocrisy was important for Bill, and it will likely inform his perspective going forward.

I like that Ginny has started to raise the difficulty level in their Scars and Freckles game. She has previously stated her dissatisfaction with Harry's lack of adventurousness in his choices of body parts. Now, wherever he chooses, she will use it as an excuse to remove a piece of clothing, the very act of which will mark a new experience for them both.

Ginny helping Harry to work though his guilt regarding Cedric was sweet, but with the usual unbending Ginny firmness. She has never allowed Harry to wally in self pity, so she forced him to admit it wasn't his fault by equating it to the Diary. Since he would never say that that was Ginny's fault, she very cleverly manipulated him into relieving himself of fault.

Harry choosing Ginny's back, a far more risque area than any he had tried before, was a well thought out way to show that Harry is trying hard to make Ginny happy. He knew she was getting annoyed about his choices, so he upped the ante, just as she did. Their escalating intimacy is good, as it shows a growing trust and understanding between them, as well as a passion that I suspect neither of them realised was present.

Here we are, quite possibly the most important scene so far in the story. The staging of the scene was perfect, with Harry and Ginny enclosed and alone, far from prying ears, and with moody weather outside, as if to accentuate the seriousness and the darkness of the conversation happening. It was obvious in the way that Harry said Horcruxes that he had worked up the courage, as he had many times before, and realised he needed to say it before he lost his nerve again. Once he said it, he knew that he would be able to keep going (at least to a point), but he needed to start.

The descriptions were a little bit bloated, but quite frankly, I couldn't really see a way to improve that, and the information imparted was very important, more important than anything previously discussed. Harry continuing to hold back about some things was understandable, as there were still secrets he needed to keep, fearing Ginny's reaction to them. However, it was clear to Ginny that the Horcruxes were the biggest secret Harry was keeping, and that he would now be able to tell her pretty much everything.

And Ginny's true reaction to the information about the Horcruxes was brilliant, and vindicates all of Harry's fears about what would happen when Ginny knew. Because she understood, more than Harry ever wanted her to. She understood that Harry, as well as the others, lived with a Horcrux for a very long time, an experience she knew only too well. And the fact that she had severe remorse in forcing Harry to tell her, because she realised, as many people do when they force terrible revelations out of others, that she really didn't want to know.

But at the same time, she was glad she knew. Not for her own satisfaction. But because now, she could help Harry better. He didn't have to hold back as much, and as a result she could help him with times in the war he hadn't been comfortable discussing before, like Malfoy Manor, and Gringotts. The net result of this development will be more progress for their relationship in a few days than in the previous month combined. And, needless to say, they will only grow closer together the more he tells her, and the more she helps him.
Pazza1995 chapter 22 . 3/2/2019
Ginny's reaction to Harry's behaviour on the broom was, in my opinion, appropriate for her. She had dreamed of that moment for a long time, and Harry ruined the moment by trying to take control and not realising that she wanted him to hold her whilst they flew. It is also sad because she has no idea why he is suddenly so hesitant. She doesn't know that he was a Horcrux, or even what a Horcrux is. Harry feels unclean, tainted by the presence of the piece of Voldemort, and he is scared of what Ginny would do if she knew. As to Ginny being annoyed about Harry being clueless, that simultaneously made me laugh and slightly annoyed me. It made me laugh because I am exactly like that, in that I often need to be told exactly what people want from me. It comes from being Autistic (I think I have mentioned that before). It also annoyed me because Ginny takes the line that many people do, in thinking that not being able to read between the lines is a really bad thing, and needs to be remedied immediately. It is not your fault for making me feel like that, but in the interest of completeness, I thought I would mention it.

Harry apologising to Ginny the next morning is a good, subtle show of how mature he is. He knows that he upset her, and he feels that it is important to talk to her at the first opportunity he got. To try to explain. I get the feeling that for several chapters now, Harry has gone to the orchard, or sat down in Ginny's or Ron's room with Ginny, fully planning to tell her about the Horcruxes, only to chicken out at the last instant. He keeps talking about how he has to tell her soon, as if to scold himself for not doing it in the conversation he just had. And that thought is a familiar one.

Grief takes many forms. We have seen many of them in this story already. Ginny tried to keep herself busy (and eventually confided in Harry). Molly withdrew deep within herself and it took weeks of careful coaxing (and a few hairbrained stunts from Ginny) to pull her out. Bill and Charlie tried to be strong and help the others. George had the worst reaction. He tried to do what Molly did, but it didn't work. So he started to force it by drinking. A lot. His chaotic behaviour is at times terrifying and devastating. In the scene, we see that George has completely cut himself off from the rest of the world. I suspect the only people he has seen in weeks has been his family, Harry and Verity. I love Charlie for trying so hard to make George presentable, because he knew that it would only upset their mother more to see George in such a state. The tampons in the cupboard hint at happier times in the past (did either of the Twins have a girlfriend?) and only serve to widen the gulf between the happy times going on only a few months ago and now, with George looking like he hasn't eaten, slept or washed properly since he left the Burrow.

The quiet conversations between Bill and Charlie are a good indication of their relationship. As the oldest two, they likely spent a lot of time talking to each other about everything they couldn't, or didn't want to, talk to their parents about which was inappropriate for younger ears. They have been each other's confidants for so many years, it seems to come naturally to continue in the same way. The last line however, brings the true tragedy to the forefront. As sad as everyone else is about Fred, George was without doubt closest to him. Not a day went by that they were not together. They spent literally all their waking hours together (except if they were separated for detentions). The massive hole in George's life would be impossible for him to ignore.
Guest chapter 12 . 2/27/2019
Bury Voldemort under his given name next to his father, is the most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard. Stupid. To prevent a cult forming some time in the future, you bury his remains at sea - just like Bin Laden.
Pazza1995 chapter 21 . 2/28/2019
Once again, the reference to events not directly written about is a good reminder that a lot is happening between chapters. Weeks can pass between chapters, but the characters continue to live out their lives. Harry and Ginny go to the orchard every night to fly (or snuggle) and Harry slowly reveals his secrets. Bill continues to work, cleansing properties of dark magic left to entrap and kill the owners, as well as tutoring students. It makes the characters seem more real, to be reminded that their lives continue when not observed, rather than standing motionless until they are needed next.

Harry insisting that Ginny tell him about her 'detentions' in the dungeons shows the progress that has occured since the last chapter. They have continued to grow closer, until Harry was finally confident that Ginny wouldn't refuse to talk to him. Her description of what happened was chilling, and the way that she described it even more so, dispassionately and clinically. It is plain that the experience was a scarring one, but she doesn't want it to change her. Her fiery proclamation that she would always fight against injustice wherever it appears is so Ginny, and is a large part of the reason why Harry, as well as a large proportion of the Harry Potter fanbase, loves her so much. His counter proclamation that he would always try to protect her is very Harry. He always felt devastated whenever anyone was hurt or killed because of him. The bit concerning McGonagall was funny in its blatant accuracy. The Carrows and Snape combined would have trouble against the mighty Minerva.

I liked that everyone was keeping an eye on Molly, making sure she is alright, and noting any improvement in her behaviour. It shows how important she is to the family. Without her, the Weasley's would have fallen to chaos years before. Percy's resistance to leaving was telling of his terror that if he wasn't at the Burrow, nobody would take the time to talk to him, as well as the fact that he fears how Molly will react to all of her children leaving at once so soon after Fred's death. Bill's brotherly advice about witches brings up another sad truth. Percy quite possibly hasn't been seeing anyone for a long time, since Penelope probably.

Finally, we have Bill's first true look at how happy Harry and Ginny are. He was always the most protective, and it would inevitably be Bill who would be the last to see how good the relationship was for both of them. Your description of Ginny in this scene makes my heart hurt (yes, my cold, dead heart), and made me want to make a girl look that way. It is testament to the quality of your writing that you make me react this way.
Pazza1995 chapter 20 . 2/27/2019
I do not consider the scene with the Basilisk scar repetitive in any way. It was important that Ginny know what Harry was doing that year, as she was rather distracted at the time. His explanation of everything would bring them closer together, as she realised how hard he worked (as usual) to identify the problem in the school, especially at the end, where all of his efforts were solely in order to save her. She had no idea the lengths he went to in order for her to still be around. And, most important of all, she had no idea of how much he cared about her wellbeing afterwards. She didn't know he had quietly kept an eye on her, just to make sure she was alright. The whole story was important for the continued advancement of their relationship.

Harry's continuing turmoil at knowing he had to tell Ginny the most important information, but being afraid of how she would react was extremely compelling. I have already talked about Harry's reasons, but the fact that he can clearly tell that Ginny will require an answer soon only adds fuel to his inner turmoil. I experience something similar (albeit less terrifying and world changing) frequently as I agonise over whether to inform employers that I have been diagnosed as Autistic. Like Harry's dilemma, I knew that they need to know at some point, and that it would likely result in a lot of questions being given satisfactory answers. However, the difference is that Ginny will certainly stand by Harry, but the revelation of my diagnosis only ever seems to alienate people against me (with only a few exceptions).
Pazza1995 chapter 19 . 2/27/2019
The nightmares that Harry and Ginny suffer with are extremely revealing. The fact that they relive in their sleeping hours the time when they feared the other was about to die/was dead truly reveals, in a way that no words could adequately describe, how crucial they are to each other's happiness. Dreams are a doorway into the deepest fears and desires. That both of them dream of the fear that the other is dead or about to die says more to me than 10 chapters of description.

The mention of the Kookaburra made me chuckle, because it reminded me not of the actual kids song, but it's much ruder counterpart. If you don't know it, just ask and I will tell you how it goes (the first verse at least). Percy's dejectedness at being left out of the letter was sad to see. He still sees himself as something of an outsider, and did not seem to question that Ron left him out on purpose. He still fails to see that most of the family, whilst angry that he left, have long since forgiven him and accepted him back into the family. With one massive exception, but more of that later. That Ginny continues to try to help her brothers is testament to her strength of conviction, as well as her love for her family.

The fact that Bill is involved in the cleanup of Muggle homes after the war was not something that had occurred to me, but on reflection it is obvious. He is a trained Curse Breaker, so would be the perfect person to help remove the results of Death Eater intrusion. The subtle remark about Bill being busy at home was hilarious to hear, and it proves that you don't have to be explicit to get the point across. It is also obvious as, quite frankly, who could resist Fleur for very long?

As to Percy coming to Bill to try to get him to come and help tutor students, I see that as an attempt to spend time with a brother who he knows likes him. He also probably feels the same way Bill does, that doing this is a solid way to help in the recovery of the Wizarding World. And Percy, more than any of the other Weasleys, wants to do everything he can in order to make up for all the time he spent doing nothing. Bill's insistence that Fleur would also want to help as much as she could only adds to my love of Fleur. She is like a Molly Weasley in training (though she would never admit that).

Bill and Percy's clear and lingering fear of McGonagall is an amusingly accurate phenomenon. I have found that there is always a teacher that continues to scare people, even if they have not attended the school in 10 years. I could name several off the top my head, at both my Primary and Secondary Schools. Their reaction to being caught taking her Ginger Newts was wonderfully telling of that fact. However, Minerva's display of genuine gratitude is also frighteningly accurate, as I also found that quite often, the most intimidating teachers were also amongst the nicest (as long as you behave yourself).

The visit to Shell Cottage was an excellent scene, as it showed Ginny's genuine gratitude towards Fleur, as well as showing how Ginny's opinion of Fleur has changed dramatically since her visit 2 years earlier. The use of the stairs to put Ginny and Fleur on equal footing was a nice subtle piece of imagery, hinting that they both considered each other equal to themselves. Ginny lying about Harry telling her about what happened was a good display of her slight impatience at Harry for leaving out gory details. I appreciate the sneakiness of her attempt, and the fact that it worked a bit, as she succeeded in getting an account of the horror that Fleur experienced when TGT arrived.

Ginny's continuing unhappiness at Bill for refusing to let her see Harry shows once again how much Harry means to her. The sensation is entirely foreign to me (I have never loved anything that much) but I sense that this is another barrier that Ginny must overcome if she is to progress her relationship with Harry to a more mature, sharing level. She has always despised Harry's instinct to protect her, but it is important that she realise that he only acts in that way because she means as much to him as he means to her.

Bill's remorse at keeping everyone away was a good way to ground the story closer to a sense of reality. It is only in fantasies (and not very good ones at that) where characters never regret their actions. I understand the feeling of regret, where someone is kept away, usually for their own good, but events later result in the earlier actions seeming rash and poorly considered.
Pazza1995 chapter 18 . 2/24/2019
I like Ginny coming up with a game that she suspected Harry would like, as a thinly disguised attempt at Quid Pro Quo. And the fact that Harry saw straight through it. And that he knew that he would have to talk about it eventually. Him agreeing to the game was another good, if subtle, step forward in their relationship. It shows that he is admitting that he should trust her more. Also, the fact that Harry used to like to count Ginny's freckles is a lovely touch. If I had a girlfriend who had that many freckles, I would probably like counting them too, just to get my hands on her, or to get in position to tickle her. That would always be fun to do, especially if they are as ticklish as I am (it is not uncommon for me to be tickled to the ground).

Charlie's revenge is excellent. For someone who had no siblings, you continue to nail the sibling relationships. I used to do it all the time. The back and forth of messing with each other is pretty much how we used to handle conflict, as my parents would stop us if we started fighting (verbally or physically).

Harry's complete obliviousness to Ginny's period really grounds how young he is, and just how inexperienced he is when it comes to the fairer sex. It also really says something about Hermione, as it implies that Harry and Hermione lived basically on top of each other for months, and she never gave any indication of any discomfort, or even let slip that she was 'on' as it were. I like to think that she felt it was not important, and that Harry had more than enough to worry about without having to think about Hermione's menstrual cycle too. She just quietly dealt with business without telling Harry.

I like that Percy is the only one who even tries to help Harry. Everyone else, at least at first, suggests that he simply hide from Ginny. It reinforces Percy's role as the most caring of Ginny's brothers, as he is the only one who knows that brushing Ginny's hair relaxes her. And that Percy was the one that Ginny wanted, for the very same reason, as he was probably the only one who tried to help in the past. Percy's knowledge of what to do also expands the lore, stating in no uncertain terms that he has dealt with this kind of thing before on a regular basis. Percy is actually the kind of boyfriend I would like to be (and probably will be) as he takes the time to understand how to help, rather than simply running and hiding until the smoke clears.

Bill's protectiveness is very endearing, if entirely unneeded. The fact that he kind of wants Harry to leave Ginny alone is sad, as it shows that he has not been looking properly, and he doesn't get how much Harry is helping Ginny. The fact that Fleur puts him right makes me love her even more. Fleur is a character who I think goes through the biggest change, as she was extremely arrogant and kind of unlikable at the start of TGoF, but by TDH, she has changed completely. She became a caring, supportive woman who realised that there were more important things in life than looks. I suspect Bill had a lot to do with that transformation, so it is good to see Fleur helping Bill understand and improve his perceptions as well.

Charlie's farewells to his parents were nice, and remind me of my mother's reaction the first time my parents left me when I went to University (I went to Uni a full 6 hour car/train journey away from home. I only went home at Christmas and Easter during that time, as each round trip cost me around £60, or around $80).

I like that slowly, each of Ginny's brothers sees how hard Harry is working to make Ginny happy, and they start to root for them. The last scene of the chapter featured what I believe to be the first step in Charlie's journey towards this final, inevitable conclusion, following on from Percy's full journey earlier. Bill was also put on the path to realisation by his brilliant wife. I always love when one of them realises how important Ginny is to Harry, as they seem to quietly berate themselves for not realising sooner, and for ever doubting Harry.
Pazza1995 chapter 17 . 2/24/2019
Charlie's guilt is definitely shining through again. He feels that he needs to make up for not being around when he was needed. His deep worry for his mother is understandable. Molly Weasley has always been the undisputed head of the Weasley family. To see her as fragile and quiet would be very unsettling to say the least.

The requests for testimony seems entirely logical to me, and it makes perfect sense that Harry and the Weasleys would all be of particular interest (I know Percy said that they were asking everyone, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Harry, Hermione and every single Weasley were at the very top of the list of people to ask). I also love your tiny reference to an ex-student. Many authors seem to forget that the key to an excellent story is not in the grand story threads, but in the tiny details. Especially stories as long and involved as Harry Potter. I like that you added magical legal contracts, involving signing whilst holding your wand. The inclusion of the person's wand into the process adds a sense that a spell is being subtly woven to ensure the contract is fulfilled. Finally, the fact that Harry seemed to be initialling for pretty much everyone is excellent, as it not only fits his character perfectly, but he also knows things that literally nobody else does, apart from Voldemort himself (and he isn't much of a state to make confessions). Harry is probably the Wizengamot's greatest asset at this point.

Ginny's final, and ultimately successful, attempt to provoke her mother into re engaging with the family was evidence of just how gutsy she really was. Taking into account the story about Charlie's reaction to his mother ruining one of his Weird Sisters shirts, one can only imagine what he would have done to Ginny. Her needling of him was highly amusing to watch, and was testament to her extremely mischievous nature. The second t-shirt makes me laugh every time, especially as everyone in the room was fully aware of Harry and Ginny's relationship. It was like you could hear the cogs turning in everyone's heads simultaneously. And then, when Molly did come down, the evidence of her tight control over her children was highly evident, as even Charlie, who had faced down dragons with no fear for many years, immediately did as he was told. That is the kind of control I want over people.

I continue to feel sorry for Harry for the horrors he has endured, which cause him to have such terrifying reflexes. His constant sleeping is reasonable, as he has literally no worries at this point (at least none that are likely to be fatal) and he has spent the best part of a year running on little sleep and a level of agonising stress that would crush a lesser man. I certainly think he deserves a few weeks (or months) of sleeping 18 hours a day and eating constantly the other 6.

I weep for Harry's reluctance to share his secrets with Ginny. She above all others has proven herself able to handle the things he has told her in the past. But I also understand his reluctance. Ginny thinks that Harry is keeping slightly upsetting things back. She has no idea of the true horror of Harry's secrets. His reluctance to tell her about the Horcruxes was most understandable, and the very reason why he is so cagey about the last year. Ginny, more than anyone, would realise the horror of what had been going on, as she was the only other person to have lived with a Horcrux.
1,183 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »