Reviews for A Captain and a Cause
marmota-b chapter 1 . 2/23
You've obviously changed your stance on Aragorn's Rohan name since then (and I like the way you went about it).
Here, I love how this outsider point of view is not just an observation, but a story in its own right, a person in their own right, and how it all comes together. It's a very persuasive story, it drew me in with Daerion, daydreaming, angry at Iorlas, with hopes and conflicting thoughts, doing his duty as he himself sees it. He feels like someone out of the books - I can't remember now, is his name dropped somewhere, or is he entirely your own creation?
Analon chapter 1 . 1/31
This is just the kind of story I want to read in LOTR fanfiction. Thank you for this beautiful story.
Cinija Nicija chapter 1 . 7/8/2014
Oh my.
This is absolutely wonderful. Since two weeks I have a LOTR fanfiction frenzy and I'd never have thought I'd stumble upon this little shiny diamond.
Torn between duty and love. That is so right. One of the things Peter Jackson DID manage to portray in the films was this honour/dishonour dilemma. How can a man like Denethor inspire, indeed. Daerion and his devotion is lovely. The fact that he grew up staying loyal to the person who many percieved as a traitor or a coward (there sure were people like that, maybe those words are too strong but surely they felt lost and a bit betrayed after Thorongil left) is amazing. Good job. That piece was inspiring. Though I'd like somewhere there a scene with Daerion's reaction to his first captain, how different he was from Aragorn. Not the you-suck-Thorongil-was-better feeling but more like an ache of heart or sth. Anyway, great job.
Tysan chapter 1 . 6/8/2014
Loved this story. The childish voice was well done and I loved seeing Daerion mature. It’s funny how much that maturity coincided with decreasing respect for Iorlas at every interaction- an immature boy if there ever was one. Not sure what his extreme disappointment at being rejected by the guard is says about him, as the only problem was his age, which time will remedy. He’s old enough to know that.

The men’s dependence on Thorongil is a little bit sad and it’s frightening to think that anyone can have this effect on others. I like the underlying theme of the captain not the cause; it just gives the piece a really solid unifying theme that adds to the depth of the piece.

It was heart warming when Daerion realised that he was now the captain to the younger generation. And that realisation came after the readers had already seen it. On the surface this seems like a very simple little story, but obviously a lot of thought and polishing has gone into it. Daerion’s steady rise in rank to captain, the eventual parallel between the two captains are so well done.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
Lovely little story - Daerion is an excellent viewpoint. Brave, grown up, responsible, not one of the great but one of the necessary.

Thank you.
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 2/16/2014
Brilliant stuff.
Deandra chapter 1 . 1/12/2014
So glad I stumbled on this. Occasionally when someone reviews one of my stories, I check out their profile and sometimes find gems like this on their Favorites list.

This was well told and the characters nicely rendered. There are many lovely turns of phrase, so appropriate to the setting. Below are a couple of typos I noticed, and a couple of phrases that especially jumped out at me.

- Deandra

but I was the only son, so my future was written - beautifully phrased!

Daerion remained when he was. - should be "where"

"And who sees more of pain and injury than a warrior? Some lords find it easy to send men to bleed and die for them. The healers see the cost of it, afterwards, while the lord sits out of sight and feasts off gold and silver. But a lord who is also a healer… He will not waste lives needlessly, because he knows the cost." - very true and nicely phrased

The wardens saluted, his hand on his breast - should be "warden" in keeping with the rest of the sentence

Daerion still wore his dagger though all his waking hours. - probably should be "through"
Almecestris chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Love this!
Morris Kenyon chapter 1 . 11/25/2013
That was so well written and so well researched (to my very limited knowledge) that there's nothing I can say except I salute you. A great tale of friendship, admiration set in Gondor's darkest days. Keep on writing.
sailor68 chapter 1 . 11/21/2013
Wow, what a great story! I hope you write more soon. Thank you!
Teyke chapter 1 . 11/16/2013
Oh, this is brilliant - the sort of story that I hadn't thought I'd be able to find: I thought I'd read all stories like this in this fandom years ago, but! This is new! And brilliantly done, too :)
lurkerelf chapter 1 . 11/3/2013
"and not just spend my entire time writing outsider viewpoints of the future king..."
Just so you know, I would be very okay with that! Outsider viewpoints are, indeed, a Best Thing. Daerion makes a wonderful narrator, with is ground-level, personal concerns that still reveal Great Secrets and Significant Events around the corners-if we know where to look! And I really love the way you write Daerion here, as a normal boy with dreams and foolishness, but still clearly a good person at heart, and one who senses, even with so little contact, how special 'Thorongil' is. And I don't think I've ever read a fic that expresses so clearly how much Thorongil could have meant to the people of Gondor-and how dangerous that could have been, when Aragorn couldn't risk taking his place yet! If the soldiers followed a certain captain before Gondor-and the future ruler of Gondor clearly held said captain in disfavor-you have to wonder how much Aragorn worried about tearing his country apart with that conflict.

Thank you so much for the story! I'd love to see what else you want to do in this fandom.
Blackgenius chapter 1 . 10/30/2013
I really enjoyed this. Daerion's growth throughout the story was very well done, and I too very much like the outsider perspective. I sort of expected him to become a herbalist rather than a City Guard at one point in the story, but I liked the way you approached his growth in the latter position. Your style was excellent, and I look forward to reading more of your work. Well done!
elsa3beth chapter 1 . 10/30/2013
beautiful beautiful story! extremely well written, perfect length, and spot on. You do a wonderful job of characterization, and you give us just enough glimpses of Thorongil to wet our appetite, but retain the genuine air of mystery that's essential to making an outside viewpoint feel real. Your plot and moral and final reveal were perfectly designed and paced, and your research really made the whole thing feel tangible and natural in a way not frequently achieved in most fan fiction.

I dearly hope you remain stuck on this meme and continue to craft a long series of Thorongil/Aragorn outside POV stories for our delight! There is so much left undescribed in the appendix, and I obsessively love the trope of getting soldierly and/or ecthelion perspectives of our dear captain . . . ;)
Tirnel chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Thank you so much for this. I have been wanting a story of someone after WOTR to remember Aragorn was Thorongil.