Reviews for The Black Arrow
Melusine6619 chapter 31 . 1/4/2019
Oh my goodness, what a ride the last few chapters were. Loved the meeting between Legolas and Gimli during the very exciting battle scenes. Just like them. Again, the family dynamic is so well done throughout, and you balanced Thranduil as king and father nicely. Just as I always pictured him. Laersul and Thalos are amazing and strong older brothers. No wonder Legolas felt he didn't measure up to them in Sons, although of course he does. And what a bittersweet ending here for Thalos. He's healed, but not. Very sad. Still you leave the readers with a thread of hope for him to eventually be fully healed, and I do love that. Wonderful, wonderful story, dear Ziggy!
Melusine6619 chapter 26 . 1/2/2019
I'm just trying to read quickly and catch up, but I had to stop and post another review. This is so wonderfully done, Ziggy! I wish you had written the screen play for The Hobbit. I really do. Love the banter between Legolas and Anglach, and the more sober displays of Thranduil and Laersul. They are all just as they should be, or I feel they should be, anyway.
jmkk chapter 5 . 4/21/2018
I'm back re-reading Black Arrow while waiting the next chapter to SoT2. This chapter 5 has to one of the most beautiful chapters I have ever read. It's like walking in a fairy tale dream. It feels like Lathron is part of the wood. He has become more of a spirit of deep forest and can't be separated from it anymore. If this is what happens to woodelves that stay and ultimately should fade, I think it is a far better option that the golden cage of Valinor. Actually I just can't imagine Legolas&Elrohir in Valinor (and certainly not Thranduil or Oropher). I prefer Jael's version of Not to Fade Away series, it fits far better the nature of woodelves.

I also like how young Thranduil feels here which is natural considering that Lathron is of course ancient. Is it known outside Woodland realm that they have one of the unbegotten living there? I guess not, but I would imagine at least Elrond being very interested in meeting him.

Regarding Thranduil's age: There was a line about Oropher bringing him to Lathron when he was a child. So Thranduil is then born sometime in the early second age in your stories? It is just that often he is placed already in Doriath in fanfiction, but personally I think he belongs more to a younger generation like Elrond, Celebrian and Amroth.

I have to admit that Thranduil and Glorfindel is one of my favourite pairs. I was very happy to see that one line reference to their relationship when I originally read this (and this was the first of your stories I read). Now knowing their story I was wondering how Thranduil feels about it as here he seems to be reluctant to think about it? I don't think he would, after living with woodelves most of his life, have similar moral dilemma as Glorfindel has so maybe it's something else?
Melusine6619 chapter 21 . 3/20/2018
These last two chapters are really wonderful. You show Thranduil not as just a king but as a father worried about his sons in all the chaos going on during and after Smaug's wrathful flight. That is always nice to read.
Melusine6619 chapter 19 . 3/20/2018
I'm way behind on reading, it seems, but this was another exciting chapter. You're retelling of these events is so much better than the movies, in my humble opinion. Very enjoyable!
jmkk chapter 4 . 3/11/2018
So Thranduil's resolve to keep his trip to Smaug a secret didn't withstand Laersul for a moment, especially with Galion's "help. I like how you haven't made Thranduil the tallest, smartest, most powerful, best swordsman etc but Thranduil and his sons are all different and have personal strengths. And individual characteristics too: Thranduil's map holders, Legolas picking his sleeve, and Laersul smoothing his hair. I also wonder if Galion has ever made accidentally a perfect rabbit pie
jmkk chapter 3 . 3/10/2018
I love how Thranduil and Galion are here sometimes behaving like an old couple. There is the deep friendship which is very touching especially in the scene with the flashback from Oropher's death. And the way Thranduil just gave away Galion's brooch and gave Galion that little grin somehow reminds me of Legolas and Anglach. I wonder if they were as silly as those two in a more carefree time before the Last Alliance.

I liked the way Thranduil controlled the river. It feels natural and is apparently something only Thranduil is able to do as Galion doesn't do that himself. So I guess it has something to do with the deep connection of king and nature.
jmkk chapter 2 . 3/10/2018
This is one of most amazing chapters I've ever read. You truly have made Smaug both terrifying and magnificent. And Thranduil is of course magnificent too, walking into dragon's lair with just his wits and courage. Somewhere in the later chapters he seems to regret that he was fooled by the dragon to send his sons but he also fooled the dragon to give the arrow. He needed a really strong cover story to get the arrow and there can hardly be a better one than given here.
jmkk chapter 1 . 2/24/2018
Hi Ziggy, Thanks for your wonderful stories! I found them in the end of last year but back then I read them fast just to find out what happens next. Now I'm back reading through them slowly and enjoying the details.

This first chapter feels like reading a fairy tale. Thranduil's dreams, changing seasons and years, the decision to meet the dragon and finally the walk into Erebor, it's all flowing beautifully.

It must have been terrifying to have Smaug so close to the forest. I have often wondered why Smaug didn't also attack the elves. He seems to have no problem in destroying both Dale and Erebor in the same day. I wish that Tolkien would have left one version of Celeborn&Galadriel unwritten and dedicated the time for more stories on woodelves. Luckily we have writers like you to fill the gaps!
Ninde chapter 31 . 12/25/2017
A wonderful chapter...I love the tattoo and the possible future of Thalos...
I hope read more..special about SoT...
Happy holidays
firerosedreamer67 chapter 31 . 12/25/2017
Wonderful! ! So need more! ! What comes next? What is their story? !
Freddie23 chapter 31 . 12/24/2017
As always, brilliant. Beautiful descriptions written wonderfully. Happy Christmas to you.
Freddie
earthdragon chapter 31 . 12/22/2017
I think I like this chapter most of all - and if it is the end, this wonderful story has ended on a high note, with the promise of a happy future for sweet sensitive Thalos.

I liked the description of Legolas' tattoo - all green and gold, but Thalos' tattoo - emerald, sapphire, crimson, gold and mithril - sounds gorgeous, rather like an exotic Chinese dragon. (The film didn't do Smaug justice - I'm sure he was described as being much more colourful in the book - his belly was supposed to be encrusted with precious stones from all his years of sleeping on them.)

Now looking forward to more chapters in the latest of this saga - "Where Shadows Lie". In the meantime, I hope you have a happy Christmas.
mystarlight chapter 31 . 12/21/2017
Great chapter. Thank you
terehsa chapter 30 . 11/14/2017
I love this story, please do not abandon it.