Reviews for A Mortal Pain
hye1995 chapter 2 . 46m
This sounds like a brilliant concept. Really reminds me of a short series, on youtube i think, where the Greek Gods descend to earth and live among mortals. It was an okay show, but this just sounds plain funny and amazing
DarkPaladin000 chapter 31 . 1/26
Been some time since I've been here, but I read the ending and thought it was good, but I think it was lacking what I guess no one could put in.

I might be going off topic for some time, but I thought about how Garth Nix ended the books and I went through a lot of alternate endings, and though I could think of some that were (maybe?) better I couldn't really think of one that I'd like. I guess the thing was just that since Arthur just became a god at the end, there was always something beyond it and beyond it so he was just sort of boxed in with it.

That all said though, the entire story was nice. I can tell it took a long time and effort, you reached nearly 100,000 words which I think is longer than some of the books in the original series and almost the size of a usual fiction novel. It was definitely fun to read though.
DivineGuidanceAlpha chapter 31 . 1/7
...This ending made me sad. It felt rushed. I liked it, but it just didn't feel like you were putting your heart into it at the end. I should know, I do it all the time when I actually finish writing something. Still, the story was just right in length, the characters were deep and balanced, and the insanity was very fun.
SephirotAero chapter 2 . 12/7/2014
I find it strange that they would still have their vices (suspension of disbelief is in effect, but still) considering how the Will is gone and knowing the New Architect and who he used to be, probably wouldn't be so... callous (and cruel) as to remake them with their vices (though he DID remake everything with the Atlas). Also didn't he heal Monday in body and mind?
Otter Seastar chapter 14 . 11/29/2014
I liked this little loo at Friday's fears and lack thereof. She often gets overlooked by the fandom as shallow or stupid, and even the canonical narrative focuses more on her indisputably-heinous depredations than her character. I think she has a mysterious and subtle personality worth investigating.

Thursday might be my least favorite Trustee; I spent more time wanting to punch Tuesday in the teeth, but find him morbidly interesting while Thursday's just a jerk. Here we're reminded that some of his brutality came from the deliberate interference from a particularly nasty piece of the Will. Pitiable.

I've never been too clear on the upbringing of Sunday and his brothers. The Old One fathered them on "mortal women inhabited by the Architect," so I'd assumed they were conceived and born, if not raised, in the Secondary Realms. But from everyone's fanfic, it sounds like she took on a mortal form while living in the House, where they then grew up. Is that right? (Also, the Carp said the Mariner was "the Architect's adopted son," but I have no idea what it was thinking)
Otter Seastar chapter 13 . 11/22/2014
Have you read Neil Gaiman's short story "October in the Chair"? It also featured Anthropomorphic Personifications of all months of the year, reminding me of KttK, and now this brings it to mind. The plot thickens!

BTW, how do I make line breaks when writing for this website? Haven't published anything here in years. (Sorry to go off-topic)
Otter Seastar chapter 12 . 11/22/2014
I'm enjoying this thoughtful, detailed look at everyone's backstories and current personalities in a serious plot nicely sprinkled with humor.

Tuesday banking? Eek. I still haven't forgiven that polluting slaver's misdeeds. Friday accidentally referencing House-related things while talking with mortals? I sound like that nowadays, though for me it's deliberate in the so-far-futile hope that someone will notice. Nithlings not inimical to the mortal world? Intriguing. I honestly started weeping with joy for Wednesday (Nessie!) when she was swimming, though it's painful for me to see food be such a forbidden torment to her when everyone else is still indulging their vices as much as practicable. Also, I'm partial to muffin tops.
Otter Seastar chapter 1 . 11/15/2014
Oh, this will be fun.

Haha, I recently dreamed that I was fleeing from the Trustees while inventing new names for them, and called Wednesday Wendy too! The Grim was Gormon, and I awoke before naming the others. Ha, Freya is perfect for Friday. They would have enjoyed calling Saturday Serena and teasing her about it, but Susan seems to work. Onward!
Lazerkat chapter 28 . 11/14/2014
Hmm...he's totally not gone crazy
HumanBarricade chapter 27 . 11/13/2014
Haha 'Guest' wants Thursday revived. Read Chapter 28 man.
HumanBarricade chapter 28 . 11/13/2014
Hmm...that confession type thing from Wednesday to Richard seemed a bit rushed. Either that or I read it too fast.

Well someone became a murderer in no time at all.
Lazerkat chapter 27 . 11/4/2014
! Love it and write a sequel or else I will be like NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUECTYOUGETTHEPIONT!
Guest chapter 27 . 10/26/2014
Nevermind, forget my last review, take your time, if you need it :X
Guest chapter 27 . 10/26/2014
Please update again :( and revive Thursday.
Guest chapter 26 . 10/11/2014
UPDATE! NOW! SOON! PLEASE!