Reviews for Turbulence
raze200 chapter 6 . 5/16
End of arc seems a good spot to share what I think so far!
Nice concept as a whole! I do like how Goku is still Goku even without his head bonk! (Well... I assume so at least...) either way I'm really enjoying this! Since we don't have Goku around this means character who could slack off because of his absence won't this time! Chaotzu Yaijrobe... It even seems like a Chi-chi is going to get in on the action! I really wish she'd trained more... Eh a lot of stuff really... Keep up the good work! I like what I'm seeing! Thank you TVtropes for giving me yet another good story! (Even if "The Long Road" is pulverizing my feelsies)
raze200 chapter 5 . 5/16
While I doubt it due to his laziness... Yajirobe was always an interesting character to me. Probably due to my strange watch order for dragon ball and it did sadden me a bit that he didn't do anything beyond cutting off vegetta's tail (and later I learned he killed the demon) so if he gets some more screen time... Yay!
SpencerDorman chapter 21 . 1/13
I know that my experience in DBZ stories is lacking, as I really only just started reading this fandom this week, but from my experience reading hundreds of other stories from other fandoms, I can tell that this story will certainly remain at the top of my favorites list for DBZ stories. I really do love the story, and I would go into more detail about every little thing I love about your story, but for the life of me I just can't seem to type my thoughts out. Sorry about that.
Anyway, I know that it's been over a year since your last update, which is obviously quite uncharacteristic of your updating pattern, but I do hope that you don't abandon this story, that you eventually do return to it, and that you update it when you do so.
SpencerDorman chapter 13 . 1/13
This review is sort of a correction to my review of chapter 14...
I had assumed, in my review, that Raditz was going to kill King Piccolo, who would then birth Piccolo upon his dying breath, with the intention of revenge against Raditz and the other Saiyans as his last command. Obviously, upon reading the proceeding chapters, I realized that my predictions for the story, of which mainly involved Piccolo and Raditz, were quite different than how the story has actually played out so far. Most of the review can thusly be ignored.
SpencerDorman chapter 16 . 1/13
When I first read that Kakarot and Neil would be exploring space with Articuno and co., I remembered how, in a previous AN, you had stated that Kakarot would be meeting the Z-fighters sooner than we (the readers) might think, in response to someone asking something about the Z-fighters and Kakarot meeting on Nemek, something about whether it would be their first meeting or not. I took that as Kakarot would meet the Z-fighters before what would be the Turbulence version of the Nemek saga, and putting two and two together, I came to the conclusion that Kakarot and Neil would be visiting Earth sometime during the space exploration with Articuno and his friends. I might be wrong, but if this is the case, then Kakarot could still be there on Earth in order to defend it from Nappa and Vegeta. It would also allow an interesting meeting between Kakarot and Raditz, and even the Z-fighters, Kami, and Mr. Popo, who would all soon realize the unfathomable (at least to the Earthlings) power that he currently possesses.
SpencerDorman chapter 15 . 1/12
I've been thinking about this for a little while now, but I can't wait to see how the Z-fighters react upon first meeting Kakarot. With the knowledge that they have glimpsed from Raditz (Kakarot's name, the fact that he has a tail, etc.), and being able to see the resemblance between the two characters, they would surely be able to recognize that this Kakarot that they had just met was in fact the very Kakarot that Raditz had been referring to. Then, knowing how Raditz had been, knowing that Kakarot and Raditz are brothers, and having their first encounter with the Saiyan race be so terrible, they would certainly come to incorrect conclusions about Kakarot, most likely labeling him as an enemy and evil and all that. It will certainly be interesting, to say the least.
SpencerDorman chapter 14 . 1/12
It'll be interesting to see how, if, and when Piccolo Jr. is brought and developed in this story. He still hasn't even been birthed yet, and it's now eight years after that event would have take place in canon. Since Gohan (or whoever his Turbulence counterpart is) hasn't been born yet (if he ever will remains to be seen, but it'll obviously be much later in Kakarot's life than in canon), who would change Piccolo from the villain to an anti-hero, and eventually to a hero? Though, since "Goku" never existed, King Piccolo's reason for birthing Piccolo will obviously be much different than in canon, as he can't hate someone he doesn't even know exists, and most will most likely be Raditz and the Saiyans in place of "Goku" in said reasoning. And since Piccolo's main drive is essentially the same as his father's reason for birthing him, as in revenge against Raditz and the Saiyans instead of revenge against a hero of Earth, his transition from a being of evil to a being of good should be much easier and shorter. Not having a particular reason for Piccolo to hate Kakarot (except for him being a Saiyan), and vis versa, there will be much less tension between the two. However, this lack of tension or hate between Kakarot and Piccolo will obviously have little to no effect on the tension and hate between Piccolo and the other Z-fighters.

This is just my very vague and general idea of how it might happen, but it's obviously up to you.

I know that you don't want Kakarot to simply breeze through the villains of the story and you don't want him to be overpowered; however, with his current skill level and level of power (which was higher than Neil's, at 42000, before his fight with Articuno; now, with the zenkai that will surely come from the fight, I'd estimate him to be around 55-65,000), he would make short work of all of the villains prior to the Nemek Saga. Even during the Nemek Saga, he, at his current skill level and level of power, would still be able to make relatively short work of all of the villains except for the Ginyu Force, and that includes even Zarbon and Dodorio. However, by the time that these events /do/ roll around, and most certainly by the time that Kakarot must face the Ginyu Force, he would be even stronger then; hopefully strong enough to face his greatest foes yet to come.
SpencerDorman chapter 12 . 1/12
In canon, the Red Ribbon Army would have already been gone by the time of Picollo's reign, having been decimated and destroyed by Goku on his self-training journey around the world. Though, since Goku never existed in this story, I suppose that this wouldn't have happened, and that no one else took his place in the matter. However, with no one to oppose them, who stopped the RRA from collecting all of the dragon balls for their wish? Did Gohan simply track down his four-star ball, much the same way that Goku had done in canon, only avoiding the RRA while doing so? If he did, then he would have eventually been confronted by the army when they had tracked the ball down, and he would have had to take down the organization or give up the dragon ball. Then this leads to the question of what happened with Mercenary Tao...
Uggggghhh, there are so many more questions that arise from Kakarot never landing on earth and from Goku never existing... I just hope that they will not be left unanswered.
SpencerDorman chapter 11 . 1/12
This has been on my mind for a few chapters now, but I can't wait until Kakarot first meets a female. Being raised on a planet where only one gender exists (you could consider this singular gender as neither male nor female, but it is practically obvious that all Nemekians are male), Kakarot would have even less knowledge of females than he did in canon, and that's saying something.
However, what I can't wait to see even more than Kakarot's first encounter with a female, is when he first experiences attraction (both romantically and eventually sexually) to a female, or when he learns about the "birds and the bees" (*chuckles*) and everything else that comes naturally with being sexually reproducing creatures. Since Nemekian's are all pretty much asexual beings (not like bacteria whose asexual reproduction leads to the offspring being a clone of the parent, but more like a flower that can self-pollinate; you get the point), he would have absolutely no idea about anything pertaining to the previously mentioned topics.

Well... maybe he learned at least something from the Nemekians, who either had at least some knowledge of what other species are like or who had gained such knowledge from data left on Kakarot's spacecraft, but it should still be an interesting encounter and experience.
SpencerDorman chapter 2 . 1/12
I had ignored reading through your bottom-of-chapter AN's when first reading through, but I decided that I could probably gleam some valuable information by reading them, so that's what I did. Upon reading your bottom-of-chapter AN of chapter 3, I realized that my whole spiel about Turbulence Krillin being much stronger than canon Krillin was pretty much unnecessary, as you had explained why it is as such, and that he wasn't just going to be substituted word-for-word for where Goku would have been.
SpencerDorman chapter 9 . 1/12
I've been meaning to say this for a little while now, but since Kakarot hadn't been shown to have suffered any severe injuries worthy of a good zenkai (the power boost Saiyans gain upon healing from injuries; the more severe the injuries the higher the power boost), I forgot about it. I hope that you don't forgot the Saiyans zenkai ability; with the recent injuries that came from Kakarot's battle against Articuno, he should receive a pretty decent zenkai upon his healing. In my experience so far, which admittedly is not much as I've just recently got into Dbz FanFiction, this ability hasn't been forgotten once, and it's not likely to be forgotten in other stories easily, but I just say this to make sure.
SpencerDorman chapter 3 . 1/11
When you stated it had been 16 long years since Nail had heard the message from Kakarot's spacecraft, did you mean 16 Nemek years (one Nemek year is about 130 Earth days) or 16 Earth years? Based on how it was said with the setting being Nemek and the frame of reference being centered around Nail, I'd assume it's meaning 16 Nemek years, but based on the timeframe of events on Earth, which are the specific events that take place about 15-16 years after Kakarot lands on Earth, it could also be assumed that it means 16 Earth years. So, since there seems to be conflicting information, I would actually assume that you just ignore the difference in years lengths, so that one Nemek year is equivalent to one Earth year.
I love the story so far, except for Krillin's skill level at this point. Based on how the match between Krillin and Tein is nearly identical to the match between Goku and Tein from the anime/manga, alongside the fact that Goku was quite superior to Krillin at this point, having barely broken a sweat in their semi-finals match, Krillin performing the way he did shows that he is way stronger here than he was in the anime. Now, since this is FanFiction, I really can't say that there is anything wrong with that, but given how the story has played out very similar to the anime, just with Gohan replacing Goku, I'd assume that the training that Krillin went through is nearly identical, if not actually so, to the training he underwent in the anime. So, since they went through the same training, yet Krillin is much stronger now than he would have been in the anime, I'd say that there is a problem there. And, since Krillin was the only student of Roshi here (I'm assuming that no one took Goku's place as Roshi's other student), I would actually say that Krillin should be weaker here than he was in the anime. Since he didn't have Goku training alongside him, Krillin didn't have someone else that he formed a friendly rivalry with, who would constantly be the goal for Krillin to surpass; the rivalry and Krillin's goal pushed him to new heights and made him more powerful as a result. Without these, he would have been much weaker.
MalikJamalTimberlake chapter 21 . 7/30/2016
I'm not sure when this was last updated, the site is wrong sometimes, but I really like this fic . Every character gets screen time and characterization Theres no Yamcha or Krillin bashing. Tho the Demon saga did have me a bit inpatient (I guess because most tics skim past it and I thought the Z Warriors would take him down no problem) I didn't really care for the Kami and The Z Warriors reasoning for not being strong enough but u work with what you can I suppose. Did I catch it right that Piccolo was going to spit out an egg? Also I never understood why the offspring of Piccolo looked weird when Gurus look normal. I get the evil thing but still. I hope the Humans becomes stronger then canon (not asking for power levels I see you've answer that question at least 5 times lol) but I hope this continues on and Kakarot immediately breaks the mind control... My most hated type of evil tbh with you.
Lady of the Sky chapter 3 . 4/4/2016
Well, Kakarot took that surprisingly well. But then, Goku was always fairly hard to ruffle, so it makes sense that Kakarot would have at least some of that. And I see the potential start of a friendship between these former Crane students and the Turtle school. Krillin is especially powerful in this AU, and I like it. I think the main reason a lot of people have the perception that he's weak is because he prefers to stay out of fights he feels outclassed in, but with him so much closer to the top, it doesn't look like that will stop him here.
Lady of the Sky chapter 2 . 4/4/2016
I never did see original Dragon Ball, but it looks like the humans can handle a good deal of what's coming up, from the looks of it. I hadn't expected the elders to not tell Kakarot he isn't Namek. I mean, he is because he's lived his life on Namek as a Namekian, but it sounds like he doesn't have any idea he's from somewhere else. I can see why he'd feel like he's being singled out when he doesn't have any real explanation as to why he's different.