Reviews for The Remains of Autumn
Anna McNarin chapter 21 . 7/6/2015
I like this a lot. It has a feeling of truth to it, like this is thw sort of madness that could happen to Egon.
Kount Xero chapter 21 . 2/25/2014
So, imagine my surprise when I found this mere minutes after I found out Harold Ramis had passed. Imagine my growing surprise when it got a hold of me from the opening and held on tight. The surprises grew when I went through the entire story in one sitting. Not a regular event.

First thing's first. Egon's characterization is spot-on. "I'm always serious," and he always is, to the point where he considers the implications of a random insult and finds it irrational. But what I liked about your characterization isn't that he's super-smart/dead-serious, it's that you show that his intelect overwhelms his emotions to the point of stifling them almost completely. His reactions where Jeanine is concerned speak volumes, even if sparse.

Second is a bit of his personal history, how he was bullied in school due to the processing power of his massive cranium. It also accounts for why he's so wrapped up in his research, because that's the thing that makes sense to him, where he feels right at home. The parallel you drew with Erzulie is remarkable - especially since Egon is the intellect, but Erzulie is the raw, potent, supercharged emotion. Her perspective towards him, the way her downfilled life affected her, the way she was drawn to Egon, perhaps because he did represent a peculiarity in her life... harrowing. Just harrowing.

Your pacing is breakneck - it's breathless, snap snap snap, onwards and onwards. Normally, I'd find muddled, confusing prose a big minus, as a reader must be able to follow without too much difficulty what's going on, but, as this particular instance was meant to represent Egon's confusion and he is the perspective character, it's genius. No attention to detail and extreme attention to random details, every description follows like a collection of anecdotes about this and that regarding what's being described. The dreams/flashes are wonderfully written, I especially loved Egon sometimes contradicting what he's being shown, like, "My father never laid a hand on me."

I also kinda liked how nothing is explained much. We know what we're supposed to know, but the ball of lightning, for instance, is left unexplained, which is just as well. Sure, I have some gripes with that, but a wall of expo-speak wouldn't fit the story. So that's good.

In short, one of the best fanfics I've read in a long long while, and possibly the first good Ghostbusters fic I've read. Thank you for sharing.
Elle chapter 12 . 11/26/2013
Can't believe no-one has reviewed this after 12 chapters, but one always has to be the first.

I am enjoying this story as I consume it, waiting patiently (Hah!) for each succesive chapter (bless you for quick updates) and am so very, very interested in the mystery.

Don't want it to end, but do want to continue on.

I also complement you upon your writing. Excellently able to convey emotions and actions with a practically bare to the bones style that doesn't spare, nor mince the actuality of the plot. So many feel they have to fill up the page with the written word to get the point across. You do so with surgical precision.

Thanks for this gift.
ozma914 chapter 13 . 11/27/2013
Loving this story - except for the snow. Obviously Egon's neighbor had a much worse life than he did, but his parents weren't exactly 50's perfect, either.
ozma914 chapter 7 . 11/27/2013
Poor, clueless Egon ...
ozma914 chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
Great start! Loved the set-up.

I wonder if Egon and Sheldon from Big Bang Theory could be related?