Reviews for Everything Dies
marblesharp chapter 1 . 2/5
This is such a sad aspect of his backstory but as a Haymitch fan, I'm always interested in seeing how it's handled in different fics.

The causes of their deaths seem very random. If Haymitch hadn't have left for his girlfriend's, would he have died from the gas as well? I wish you'd gone into more detail in the semantics - especially with how Marigold could die of starvation when she had Haymitch, a very rich victor, for a boyfriend.

I know it's meant to be funny but Haymitch's mother told his little brother that he was having sex? Before he knew what it was, even? That seemed a bit beyond suspension of disbelief but maybe James just overheard her.

I liked the interaction with Haymitch and James. The idea of them racing up and down the stairs of their new house is really cute. :3

It's interesting that Haymitch is already drinking before his family and girlfriend die. It's not at all wrong though it's sort of glossed over in the story.

Anyway, this was an interesting take on how Haymitch's family was killed. The ending breaks my heart because we all know it'll be a while before he has people in his life again. The bitter loneliness at the end really foreshadows the rest of his life up until the canon timelines.

Keep writing!
absentee.note chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
loved it :D
SydneyLouWho chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
This broke my heart, who told you this was okay?

I love Haymitch with all of my heart and this just made me love him more. My favorite part, though, had to be that Marigold's father thought she died of starvation. It was such a nice touch, showing how fooled the Capitol had them all.

Also, this is sort of irrelevant, but I adore the name Marigold and every time I read the name, I thought of a book I read as a child with a heroine of the same name and it made me really happy.

Anyway, enough with the rambling. I love this a lot and I'm at a loss of words because of how lovely and sad this is.

Keep Writing!

Sydney
Sunlight Comes Creeping In chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
This one-shot is amazing, Slim. The emotion brought to it, and the grief, it is all overwhelming. Haymitch is a likable character, but seeing him like this just makes you want to love him more. You just transformed him into something better than what we saw of him; a drunk mess.

Good luck with this months challenge, Slim. I will be routing for you :D
slopes are a girl's friend chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
The baby comment by James made me laugh! XD Great job, Slim! Hope you win!
RueThisDay chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
This was me: Ooh, a participant! Already! *clicks on email* Well, that's a cheery title.
And, quite honestly, the title gives an excellent description of the content. ;)
Now, seriously, that was amazing.
Good luck with the challenge, most Slimmest of Slims! :D
turtledoves chapter 1 . 11/7/2013
Butbutbutbut... no, bad Slim! Don't write sad things!

I actually have goosebumps that was just chilling and that ending just... nonono

Though there were some parts of your writing that seemed, hm, straight to the point? I guess I'm saying you could've elaborated a bit more but no wonderful job I loved this *claps*
Princess Unikitty chapter 1 . 11/7/2013
that was pretty cool. liked the writing style and your characterization of haymitch.

for more reviews visit these forums: the reviews lounge and the council.
Silver Medals chapter 1 . 11/7/2013
I do indeed like it! I do!
You didn't push the prompt too hard and every detail seemed spot-on.
This is my favorite oneshot of yours by a long shot.