Reviews for Solemnis
Smithrooks chapter 16 . 6/22/2020
What a reminiscence and reflection. The Goddess and Sayaka as well, fitting for Emma's situation. Her wish was indeed an ambitious one, and she hasn't made the most of her life yet. Indeed, there's still so much more for her to do.
Smithrooks chapter 15 . 6/22/2020
And the descent into despair takes hold... then another vision. That can't have been easy to see.
Smithrooks chapter 14 . 6/22/2020
Oof, the heartwrenching decisions in this chapter. I am interested in that first quote up the top; is the darkness referring to Squid, or Wraiths/Demons? Because a lot of means are permitted in combat here already, from mind-control to brutal killing methods etc. I guess it could relate to Sasha's actions, which does make sense from a certain standpoint. And that vision... I wonder what it means. Darn Goddess always (mostly) being so mysterious.
Smithrooks chapter 13 . 6/22/2020
Aww, what a cute conversation between Ayane and Emma. And of course, followed immediately by pure action, violence and death. #JustMGthings. I love seeing power synergies, Emma and Sasha do really work well together. You also do a great job of conveying the atmosphere of the battlefield here, at least from an MG perspective. Very chaotic, extremely fast and unpredictable. Poor Hisako, we didn't know her for long but the impact of her death is conveyed through Sasha's grief.
Smithrooks chapter 12 . 6/22/2020
Yay, more friendly times with her troops! That always feels good to read, it really emphasises the down-to-earth perspective of this story. And Emma's experimentation also managed to make her closer with Emily, nice.
Smithrooks chapter 11 . 6/22/2020
Some more platoon bonding, and Emily seems a bit more bearable now. All in all, I'd call that gradual progress.
Smithrooks chapter 10 . 6/21/2020
There's the drama! Bridgette couldn't accept what Emma had done. Good scene with the civilians children interaction, really emphasises that people and their society are still on the planet as it's being invaded. Ayane gave a good perspective, even if she may not believe it herself.
Smithrooks chapter 9 . 6/21/2020
And the shit hits the fan. That was an exceedingly hard decision for Emma to make, and it's the type of thing that can leave scars. Good thing there's the MHD to help with these things afterwards. Yes it was the logical thing to do, but that doesn't make coping with it easier. Nor her thoughts of what Tracy will think of her once she's revived - she didn't know about the bodyloss thing yet. What a powerful chapter after all the preparation beforehand.
Smithrooks chapter 8 . 6/21/2020
Tracy and Bridgette... too too new. This is not going to be fun. Once again, appreciate you showing a bit of the assholely side of MGs.
Smithrooks chapter 7 . 6/21/2020
That's a lot of squid. Emma's getting to know the Cult now? That should be interesting, I foresee that there might be a bit of interaction with the Goddess once or twice, but not nearly on the scale of Ryouko.
Smithrooks chapter 6 . 6/21/2020
Ah, briefings and platoon morale. Hopefully they'll warm up to her in time, combat has a way of forging bonds after all. Also, Alanis is amazing. That is all.
Smithrooks chapter 5 . 6/21/2020
The calm chapter before the storm. It feels good to have a bit more casual character interaction before they're all dropped into combat. One thing I particularly like is the quotes at the beginning of the chapter. In true TTS style, but shorter, less worldbuilding and instead more human and intimate. The fact they're all attributed to soldiers in companies also fits the overarching theme of this story.
Smithrooks chapter 4 . 6/21/2020
Ah, here's the beginning of the Samsara Offensive. Five years before the start of the Euphratic Incursion and eight years before TTS proper means there's less advanced technology, tactics and doctrines. Do they even have the soul gem covers yet? Maybe the prototypes. Either way, being thrown into live combat after 2 days of sims is ridiculous, yet the military has got to pull all the resources it has on hand I guess. Death-flags incoming for either Varsha or Rebecca, that won't be nice at all...
Smithrooks chapter 3 . 6/21/2020
Aww, Emma's made a friend! Time will tell if things will develop further than that... hoping to see some perspective on the Aer Magi if we do follow Ayane. Setting yourself on fire by flying at Mach 7 isn't the worst way to go! And it's interesting to hear about the more careless/apathetic magical girls, just dumping Ayane at the MSY and leaving :/
Smithrooks chapter 2 . 6/21/2020
And so it begins! I hope Anna's going to play a good part in the story, she and Emma have a great dynamic and relationship that's rare to see in MG contractees. A concussive air mage, eh? Quite suited to ground combat, shock and awe and bunker-busting then.