Reviews for Crossing the Sea
Glory Bee chapter 6 . 3/29/2012
Very moving story, I really felt Earwen's pain like I had not felt it before.
asdfjkl chapter 6 . 12/6/2008
talk about weaving all of the silmarillion's tragedies into one nice little package xD

keep writing!
RavenLady chapter 6 . 3/26/2005
A gorgeous and touching story with an unusual cast. I especially loved the end. I'm not sure what to say that others haven't.
laliath shadow-tear chapter 6 . 10/10/2003
I have to admitt that I cried, thats one of most beautiful, moving stories I have ever read, its so -right- so perfect,-an aching over-whelming wave of guilt and greif, but you never let emotion take over the story...sorry, I scuk at reviewing, please write more,mabey do some Nerwen or luthien ones?...
Klose chapter 6 . 3/15/2003
Wow. How many times have I cried in these four chapters alone? There was the scene where Earwen asked Elwing about her children... when Earwen and Olwe 'made up'... and of course, the last 'soliloquoy' (or whatever you call it) of Olwe. They were all so moving, so beautiful, I cannot describe it. I am just filled with such a awesome melancholy at the powerful writing of this story.

It was such a lovely end... I really loved the part where Olwe said he forgived Finarfin. I want you to write that scene where they're reunited! Please, please please? ;)

The little bits where Olwe reminisced about the times he spent with Elwe were so complimentary to the scenes with Elwing.

And all the stories which Elwing told them... wow. They were just brought to life for me, more than any other fan fiction writer has been able to do (with respect to having their characters tell stories).

I really admire your writing style... and I'm left to scratch my head and wonder how it is that you managed to weave such a beauitful tale!

Thank you for this, from the bottom of my heart. :)
Klose chapter 2 . 3/15/2003
What another good chapter!

I was immediately struck by the goregeous descriptions you used. Many authors tend to drag the story by describing, but I was so swept by your descrptions at the beginning of the story, because they just set the tone for the chapter.

I was deeply moved by Elwing's grief (I'm really starting to like her, after reading all these wonderful stories about her...). And of course, I liked the perspective on Olwe. He's an extremely neglected character. :)
Klose chapter 1 . 3/15/2003
I'm a slow reader, and I'm worse in reviewing, but I have been thinking about this chapter for a while, wondering how to review it.

First of all, I think you did a really good job with the atmosphere. How do you do it? The whole chapter was filled with slight melancholy on Olwe's part... as shown by the comparion with Elwe's eyes.

I liked the introduction of Elwing. I never really thought about that scene that much, but now that I think about it... it just seems to be so appropriate. It's probably going to become canon in my mind now, why do you have to be such a good writer? :)

Simply fantastic style of writing here. Everything just flows so smoothly, even with one sentence paragraphs (which were really good at driving home the point).

Going off to read Ch. 2...
Thirteen Black Roses chapter 6 . 3/12/2003
yay! happy ending! well, kinda, but real happy ending would take till after lotr cause thats when elrond still wouldnt be really happy cause no elros.*rolls eyes* shut up Queen of Shadows. alright. anyway great fic! namaarie!
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 6 . 3/6/2003
A lovely end to a wonderful story. I was glad to see Olwe, in the end, taking the steps he needs to take to finally heal his heart by forgiving Finarfin. We see so much of the effect of the Kinslaying on the Noldor - it's good to see a story where the effects on the Teleri are finally explored.
Finch chapter 6 . 3/2/2003
This story has deeply moved me from the beginning, the last chapter no less than the others. The style, the atmosphere you call up, the way you deal with the characters' emotions and motivations, the 'Elvishness' of it all - simply wonderful.

If the other story glimpsed briefly in retrospect is indeed the Kinslaying from the perspective of Olwe and/or Earwen, it is a tantalising preview!

I suppose you don't mind if I link this to my Silmfic page?
Nemis chapter 6 . 3/1/2003
I'll keep saying it: I love this story.

For several chapters you've written a thoughtful, sometimes heart-wrenching and shiver-inducing tale, and now you top that with what, for me, seems to be the perfect final chapter.

Hope, forgiveness, healing and closure in more senses than just one.

A delicately woven plotline, accompanied by sometimes wonderful descriptive writing.

I bow to you, not for the first time. Brilliant.
Thirteen Black Roses chapter 5 . 2/8/2003
awwwww... *hugs olwe* i hope earendil comes back to elwing soon. is so sad!
Deborah Judge chapter 5 . 1/18/2003
This is great! I don't think I've seen a fic about the parting of Olwe and Elwe before, and you're right to give the tragedy of it the attention it deserves. Strange how both brothers had their kingdoms destroyed in parallel ways.
Nemis chapter 5 . 1/16/2003
Well, yes, the prodigal reviewer returns. ;))

The most impressive part of this chapter is that right from the beginning, the tension starts to slowly climb, you work it up quite naturally, in such a manner that I don't think anything can help but feel very much for Olwë at the end. Poor guy.

It's beautiful, and every time you come up with an even better chapter than before, which is something we, as readers, can only be intensely happy about. :))

Great work, and thanks so much for writing this.
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 5 . 1/13/2003
Oh God, this is so sad and so wonderful. I can't remember ever having read a story that had Olwë as the main character. The dream and flashback sequences make the whole story like a fairy tale, even though we know the protagonists.