Reviews for An Exceptional Love
Palindrome310 chapter 33 . 7/25
First of all, congratulations for completing another excellent story. You kept me guessing with this story, it was an unusual scenario, one I had some reservations at the beginning, but that I enjoyed immensely.

I was saving this final chapter for a quiet moment in case I cried, but it was happier than I expected, although I ended up tearing up anyway. Mary succeeded at saving Downton, George survived WWII and we meet the third and fourth generation. I loved that Mary turned into Violet with age and took charge of things (I loved that she only helped George after she was sure he made an effort), even intervening in her grandaughter's marriage (Octavia, don't send your father and brother to talk to your husband, granny is the one!)

I also liked the little moments with Matthew and Mary in those final years, that they were still teasing each other (being angry with him for being ageless!). Also, it was nice to see Mary and Michelle talk and that we learnt Alex and Michelle's story. I didn't expected them to have a second intention in helping Matthew. Mary having long hair made me think that they are the same age they had when they were separated, it feels like they are picking up from were they left it, but they aren't frozen in time because they have new cases to work together.

As I mentioned, it was happier ending than I expected but there was a realistic sadness in Mary's last years, how, after a time, most of her loved ones have already died and how her activity and comfort diminished until she just wanted her time to come. Of course, it helps that she had the certainty that there will be something good waiting for her after this life.

I liked the big reunion at the end (lol, Matthew calling Sybil a great granny). It's a nice, comforting thought that we could reencounter again our loved ones. I liked the idea of Matthew presenting Mary to his father, George actually meeting Matthew as a person and the possibility of meeting their descendants for eternity.

Thank you again!
Beautiful ending to a really great story!
M/M's reunion in the afterlife, now both their youthful selves. Their happy reunion with family that passed before them. And the twist of them taking over for Alex & Michelle.

Also loved the convo between the elderly Mary and Edith. Shades of Violet, Isobel and Cora there! Mary so much like Violet, complete with hand mannerisms, rueing the loss of "decorum" AND complete with cane. Edith a little more up-to-date ala Isobel - correcting Mary about the dated "hop sock" reference :D Edith doing a "Cora", worrying about Marigold's lack of a marriage partner. But the nicest part with these two is how content and happy they both ended - despite the strife they experienced early on in life. Happy for each other and willing to express it. Lovely upbeat ending for these two.
MsMenna chapter 33 . 7/11
A fitting ending to an "exceptional" story! Great job.

I loved this tale from the first chapter as the concept is so novel. Matthew spending eternity with the love of his life makes me very happy, even if he is doing so in spirit form. Considering how much Matthew and Mary loved one another, this scenario makes much more sense to me than her marrying a used car salesman.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. I have no idea how you turn out one amazing story after another in such record time, but bless you for it.

Once again, great job.
DAGuest chapter 33 . 7/9
Thank you for this wonderful story! So happy that Matthew and Mary are finally together! It appeared that Mary lived a beautiful life and was a true matriarch for the Crawley family. She definitely had a lot of Violet in her, especially when she helped her granddaughter with her marriage. Loved how you ended the story with not only Matthew and Mary being together but will also be working together as they take over the Alex and Michelle's department. Thank you for filling in where canon left off! Can't wait for you new story!
Thank you for this lovely story. Looking forward to your future fics. You capture M/M brilliantly.
Naniee chapter 33 . 7/9
That was a great ending to this story! :)))
I'm glad you're coming back to a periode AU, it's been a long time! (Even if I love ALL your stories). I hope it's soon! (No pressure though hehe)
eyeon chapter 33 . 7/9
So many endings! This made me cry, but in a good way. Looking from this perspective, I'm glad she waited for him (or him for her) but along the way I sometimes faltered. You're very convincing! What a lovely touching story! I'm glad you're not done writing!
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 33 . 7/9
YAY! Cheering you over the finish line! Once I saw "1972", I knew we were in for it! :-D I read Jamie the "You bellowed?" line, and it made both of us laugh out loud. I was amused with how you still managed to work in people having sex (now between a pair of OCs!), despite the circumstances. I love the idea that Matthew is lamenting the fact that Mary is a better lawyer than he is, haha. Great conversation between Mary and Octavia. Also, great job capturing the feel of life as an elderly person. I loved all the memories and references to deceased people and years past. There was a kind of bittersweet reality to it. Well done, capturing the sense of the twilight years! And of course I smiled at how everyone is "alive" and hanging out at a party at the end. :) Well wrapped! And I look forward to where you go next.
I can't wait for a new fic!
Thank you for this story. I loved every chapter of it. Such a perfect ending!
Not only did this chapter give a beautiful ending for M/M, but you also gave us a lovely catch-up on many of the other characters.

Loved the conversation and reminiscing between Mary & Edith with both now in their early 80's. The genuine warmth and caring that now existed between them. No competition, but complimenting each other on how successful their lives eventually went. "Not too bad for two Toffs from Yorkshire." Very appropriate.

Also, Mary reminding George to always keep in contact with Sybbie & Marigold. Although the family has expanded, those 3 are as core to the Crawleys as the 3 sisters became.
dashabout chapter 33 . 7/8
Sigh. I just love a happy ending. As always, you've written one of those stories that I'll have to revisit from time to time. Thank you.
Beautiful ending to a wonderful story! Thanks so, so much!
Wonderful ending, thank you! I have really liked this story, and as much as I like your modern AU you write period really well. So looking forward to reading your next story very much. You really are a prolific writer, and we love it!
Beau2809 chapter 33 . 7/8
Oh I'm so glad they ended up together, happy, but also with everyone who died before and after
timeandpixiedust chapter 33 . 7/8
This ending was perfect! I loved how everything got wrapped up and that Mary and Matthew found their happily ever after at last. I'm so happy you're doing another period canon AU, they're always amazing. Can't wait!