Reviews for Lighten Up
Aurora Marie Williams chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
I like one-shots, but I love good ones even more. I loved this!
Edhla chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
As a disclaimer, I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about the Legend of Korra... but I'll do my best here :)

I like that you start with Mako having a terrible day; they do say to write an unusual day or the day that was different :) Stylistically, the rhetorical "why" and the sentence after it didn't really work for me, but that seems to be your style so I respect that.

But I do really like the petty and trivial things you list; too often bad days aren't anything spectacularly bad, they're just run-of-the mill crap like not getting a decent breakfast :p

"Protective and caring..." This seemed to tell rather than show; the action of Mako leaving the food for Bolin, even though it annoyed him, was enough, I think.

The talk of bending lightning and water and earth went right over my head, but that's canon blindness and I wouldn't see it as a flaw in your writing. That said, the attack is covered in a very short paragraph, almost summarised instead of described. It has the great capacity for gripping stuff, but it's barely mentioned. Perhaps amp that bit up?

A few dropped commas here and there, e.g., "Hey, Mako."

I've always liked the hidden-injury trope, full of feels, and the comfort Korra gives is adorable. Apart from sections being a little thin and rushed, I think this is a great one-shot. Thanks for writing it x
makorra2 chapter 1 . 11/11/2013